[net.micro.pc] "arc" files

paula@bcsaic.UUCP (paul allen) (10/25/86)

>Well, I uudecoded the PROCOMM 2.4.1 that was posted recently, and
>got a file called prcm241.arc.  Now what do I do?
>
>Respond by e-mail, unless you think that other newcomers
>to this group cold benefit from this info.

Judging from the number of similar help requests, lots of newcomers
could benefit from this info.  Here it is again:

What you need is a program called arc.exe.  It has become the standard
file compression utility for MS-DOS systems.  It is shareware, meaning
that the authors (System Enhancement Assossiates) request a monetary
contribution if you find their program to be useful.  You can find arc
on *any* PC-oriented bulletin board in your area.  Ask any 12 year old
hacker for a list of BBS phone numbers.  Make sure you get the latest
version.  I think that the latest is 5.12.  It may be packaged as arc.com,
which when run automatically unpacks itself into arc.exe.

Both source and binary versions of arc have been posted recently.  If
your site archives news, you may be able to get it that way.  I have
both BSD and MSDOS arc executables, but hesitate to post due to their
wide availability elsewhere.

Paul L. Allen
Boeing Computer Services Artificial Intelligence Center
...!uw-beaver!ssc-vax!bcsaic!paula

wb8foz@ncoast.UUCP (David Lesher) (10/28/86)

In article <757@bcsaic.UUCP> paula@bcsaic.UUCP (paul allen) writes:

>>Well, I uudecoded the PROCOMM 2.4.1 that was posted recently, and
>>got a file called prcm241.arc.  Now what do I do?
>>
>>Respond by e-mail, unless you think that other newcomers
>>to this group cold benefit from this info.
>

>Judging from the number of similar help requests, lots of newcomers
>could benefit from this info.  Here it is again:
>
>What you need is a program called arc.exe.  It has become the standard
>file compression utility for MS-DOS systems.  It is shareware, meaning
>that the authors (System Enhancement Assossiates) request a monetary
>contribution if you find their program to be useful.  You can find arc
>on *any* PC-oriented bulletin board in your area.  Ask any 12 year old
>hacker for a list of BBS phone numbers.  Make sure you get the latest
>version.  I think that the latest is 5.12.

Since these folks have never heard of ARC, it is worth mentioning
that there is a Trojan Horse version reputed to be out there. It
is called ARC ver. 5.13 and is a EXE file, not a COM file. The real
McCoy is ARC512.COM and is 59008 bytes long. It then unpacks itself
into ARC.EXE and ARC.DOC. Since it has been WIDELY reported, it is
highly unlikely you will run into it.
--

		      decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!wb8foz
			ncoast!wb8foz@case.csnet

    	         		"SERIOUS?
		Bones, it could upset the entire percentage!"

ddrex@gorgo.UUCP (10/28/86)

Please be aware that there is no later version of the MSDOS ARC utility than
5.12. Some bozo has hacked 5.12 so that it will eat the boot sector of a hard
disk, and released it as 5.13. Be sure of what you're getting when you get it!
The safest way is to get it from a friend, or from a bbs whose operator
verifies all his files.

As Paul Allen noted earlier, you can get it from nearly any IBM oriented bbs,
and you can get a list of those from a computer store (or the kids who hang
around them). It's probably THE most popular shareware program ever distributed
and there's no sense reposting it here when it is so widely available every
place else.

plocher@puff.wisc.edu (John Plocher) (10/31/86)

Concerning the ARC program from System Enhancement Associats: (SEA)

>As Paul Allen noted earlier, you can get it from nearly any IBM oriented bbs,
>and you can get a list of those from a computer store (or the kids who hang
>around them). It's probably THE most popular shareware program ever distributed
					      ^^^^^^^^^
>and there's no sense reposting it here when it is so widely available every
>place else.

  BUT - There haven't been very many people who've actually sent in
  payment for this wonderful program!  In fact, the sources posted to
  the net had the part of the program which displays the copyright
  and shareware donation panel COMMENTED OUT! - In violation of the
  distribution notes contained in the program! (... as long as
  this message is not removed ...)

  The whole concept behind Thom releasing ARC as shareware was that
  he ASSUMED that most people were honest, and that they'd pay
  for useful software.  To be short and sweet, he got screwed!

  His other programs developed after ARC are ALL FOR SALE programs,
  no more shareware from this author!

      Do you find ARC useful?  Obviously, since it is being
      used to post lots of stuff to the net.  Ok, since it
      is useful to you,

	   Have *YOU* paid Thom for your copy of ARC?

           If not, WHY NOT?

	   Is the $35 - $50 too much for you or your company?  It is
	   less than the cost of 2 boxes of disks!  Less than 1% of
	   the cost of your PC!  2 Printer ribbons!  1 RS-232 or
	   Centronics cable!
--
"Never trust an idea you get sitting down" - Nietzche
------------	{harvard,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!uwhsms!plocher        (work)