[net.micro.pc] Monochrome monitor with CGA card

plocher@puff.wisc.edu (John Plocher) (11/02/86)

berger@clio.uiuc.arpa writes:
>Actually, the IBM CGA works fine with a monochrome monitor.  You just
>can't use the IBM monochrome monitor.  There are others that can be
>made to work with just a special cable.

[ I tried mailing - but I can't seem to get there from here...]

    Can you tell me more?   I have a CGA sitting on the shelf cuz I can't
    afford a color monitor yet.  In any case, I'd much rather use the CGA
    with a monochrome screen anyways.  What kinds of monitors will this
    work with?  What inputs must I look for? This is the first I've heard
    of this, so if you could point me to where I might find more info on
    this, I'd be grateful!

--
"Never trust an idea you get sitting down" - Nietzche
------------	{harvard,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!uwhsms!plocher        (work)

jeffd@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP (Jeff Denenberg) (11/03/86)

> berger@clio.uiuc.arpa writes:
> >Actually, the IBM CGA works fine with a monochrome monitor.  You just
> >can't use the IBM monochrome monitor.  There are others that can be
> >made to work with just a special cable.
>
> [ I tried mailing - but I can't seem to get there from here...]
>
>     Can you tell me more?   I have a CGA sitting on the shelf cuz I can't
>     afford a color monitor yet.  In any case, I'd much rather use the CGA
>     with a monochrome screen anyways.  What kinds of monitors will this
>     work with?  What inputs must I look for? This is the first I've heard
>     of this, so if you could point me to where I might find more info on
>     this, I'd be grateful!
>
> --
> "Never trust an idea you get sitting down" - Nietzche
> ------------	{harvard,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!uwhsms!plocher        (work)
> John Plocher    {harvard,seismo}!uwvax!puff!plocher                 (school)
> ------------	decvax!encore!vaxine!spark!121!0!John_Plocher       (FidoNet)

ITT has a monochrome monitor with two input cables; one for use with a MONO
adaptor(or hercules) and the other for use with a CGA. It is called a "DUAL
FREQUENCY" monitor and is reasonably priced. It automatically switches mode
when input is received on one of the cables.

                        Jeff Denenberg