[net.micro.pc] ms-dos int 11

2212msr@whuts.UUCP (ROBIN) (10/31/86)

I'm new to writing assembly lang. programs on ms-dos machine and was wondering
if someone could answer a question.  Int 11 is supposed to return the
equipment configuration in the AX register.  However I can not seem to get
anything into this register.  When I write a 2 line debug routine as folllows:
-a100
-int 11
-int 20
and then look at the registers, AX is 0000.  Can someone give me some indication
of what I'm dong wrong?

I should mention that this program is being written on an IBM PC/AT, but it doesn't
work on an AT&T 6300 or 6300+ either.

Max S. Robin
AT&T Bell Laboratories
voice:201-386-6865
email:whuts!2212msr

brown@nicmad.UUCP (11/03/86)

In article <1038@whuts.UUCP> 2212msr@whuts.UUCP (ROBIN) writes:
>I'm new to writing assembly lang. programs on ms-dos machine and was wondering
>if someone could answer a question.  Int 11 is supposed to return the
>equipment configuration in the AX register.  However I can not seem to get
>anything into this register.  When I write a 2 line debug routine as folllows:
>-a100
>-int 11
>-int 20
>and then look at the registers, AX is 0000.  Can someone give me some
>indication of what I'm dong wrong?
>
>I should mention that this program is being written on an IBM PC/AT, but it
>doesn't work on an AT&T 6300 or 6300+ either.

My first guess is that the int 20 is messing up the AX register.  I suggest
that you use the debug GO option and break your little thing so that debug
will stop on the next address after the int 11.  Debug will then display
the contents of all the registers.

But, do you know what the AX register will be returning?  The information
is bit encoded.

I hope this helps a little bit.
--
		  ihnp4------\
		harvard-\     \

belanger@micomvax.UUCP (Robert Belanger) (11/04/86)

--
	Robert Belanger
	...!philabs!micomvax!belanger

thj@hpcnof.UUCP (Thomas Hjellming) (11/05/86)

     Try the following from DEBUG/SYMDEB

-a100
-int 11
-<cr>
-g 102      ; assumes that IP=100h!

   Then look at the printed value in the AX register.
This should do it for you.

Tom Hjellming
Colorado Networks Division
Hewlett-Packard