[net.micro.pc] monitor maintenance vs. catching fire

landauer@sun.uucp (Doug Landauer) (11/06/86)

In article <1397@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>	Second, I am referring to monitors which are PROPERLY MAINTAINED.
>...  Dust, of course, also builds up INSIDE the monitor - which is why
>all monitors should be opened at least once per year and vacuumed.  Such
>cleaning is part of what I consider to be "proper maintenance".

Not that I've ever seen a terminal monitor catch fire, but I've also
never ever seen anyone open a monitor and vacuum it.  Nor have I ever
heard any mention of same in any owner's or maintenance manuals for
any of the terminals and monitors I've used for the past 20 years.
Does the same apply to television monitors?

Do you really think that more than 0.01 % of all monitors in the real
world are "properly maintained"?  I don't.  If the discussion is about
monitors in real life, you'll just have to assume that they're already
dusty inside.

On the other hand, given the many millions of TVs out there and the
relative rarity of their spontaneous combustion, I think that burning
monitors are not a serious problem to worry about.

Flaming keyboards, however ... !!!
--
	Doug Landauer		    Sun's Net:		 landauer@morocco
	Phone:   415 691-7655	    ARPANET (aka DDN):   landauer@sun.com

The man who will not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
	-- Mark Twain