[net.micro.pc] Tape drives for backups

ugzannin@sunybcs.UUCP (Adrian Zannin) (10/31/86)

   I would like to ask for information on tape drives for backup purposes
for the IBM PC.  I use one at my job, and when I was hired there recently I
found out that in the two years before I got there they had NEVER backed up
the hard drive, and there is some pretty valuable information regarding
sales, warranty information, etc.  Since I have been working there I have
gotten them into a weekly backup procedure, but I would like to do backups
at the close of every business day.  However, backing up a 10Mb hard drive
with floppies is a bit time-consuming and almost counterproductive...

   The information I would like is the usual:  price, speed, reliablity,
outstanding features, etc.  Also, if anyone out there has a personal
preference for a particular one, please post!  I am relatively new to
PC's, so any information is helpful...thanks in advance!

--
     Adrian Zannin            --         SUNY at Buffalo Computer Science
UUCP:       ..{bbncca,decvax,dual,rocksvax,watmath,sbcs}!sunybcs!ugzannin

waldref@psueea.UUCP (Greg Waldref) (11/06/86)

In article <1320@sunybcs.UUCP> ugzannin@sunybcs.UUCP (Adrian Zannin) writes:

>   I would like to ask for information on tape drives for backup purposes
>for the IBM PC.  I use one at my job, and when I was hired there recently I
>
>   The information I would like is the usual:  price, speed, reliablity,
>outstanding features, etc.  Also, if anyone out there has a personal
>preference for a particular one, please post!  I am relatively new to
>PC's, so any information is helpful...thanks in advance!

Look into the Everex tape system.  It can be had for about $800, but
if you are real good at shopping, $700.

The software that comes with it is about the best that is out there.
The biggest selling points that I liked were: You can make an image back
up, and then restore from that image, file by file or image.  Also
It will prompt you to put a next tape in, if you need to back up more
then the tape size.  It comes with a scheduler that will let you back
up stuff any way you want (ie. what files) whenever you tell it.

I've had mine for about 2 weeks, and have had no problems.

greg
...tektronix!psu-cs!psueea!waldref

ps. I am not connected with Everex (or anyone).