[net.micro.pc] Hard disk shut-down

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (10/23/86)

Hi,

	After seeing the pletohora of articles about leaving one's
computer turned on, I'm finally goaded to put in my two cents'
worth.

	I agree that leaving the HDU powered up for long stretches
of time is probably a good idea.  In honesty, probably turning the
computer off over night while one is away from the office is
probably not going to be too much for the system and HDU to bear.
The designers are indeed aware that this is normal behavior.

	Turning the computer off every time one gets up from the
desk for a cup of coffee is probably a bad idea.  Anyway, an IBM pc
with 640K of memory takes an excruciatingly long time to power up,
never mind the wear and tear!!

	Running "shipdisk" or whatever the HDU head parking program
on your version of MS/PC DOS is called just before turning the
power off is a good idea.  My dad has a PC on a floor stand where
he works.  He lost the HDU when the cleaning crew slammed into the
PC with a vacuum cleaner (with the system off).  With the power on,
ironically, the system probably would have survived the impact, due
to the air cushion between the head and platter.

	The newer 3.5 inch based hardcards have a head unloading
spring that automatically pulls the heads up when the power is off.
They'll survive all but the most violent impact.

	Now for the real meat of this letter.  Its a darn good idea
to turn the monitor off (ie. no 110v going in, not just the
intensity down) while everyone is out of the office.  We have 50 or
60 terminals and monitors of various types around here, and have
had several spontaneously catch fire in the CRT assembly.
Fortunately, somebody has always been around to do something to put
out the smoldering monitors.  If it happened at 2:00 AM, we might
have had a real mess.

	The problem is usually related to the high-voltage power
supplies in the monitors.  I've seen two failure modes.  First, a
lot of dust is attracted to the high voltage anode lead of the CRT
due to the intense field.  Inevitably, the dust causes leakage
currents which then cause the flyback drive to incease and cause
overheating in the horizontal drive transistor and associated
circuitry.

	Method two failure relates to Televideo terminals.  The
horizontal output transistor is AC coupled to the flyback
transformer by a nonpolarized capacitor which is under-rated.
About 1 amp of current flows in the cap. which causes it to get
very hot, even in normal operation.  Eventally the cap shorts when
the electrolyte dries out.  Poof.  I've replaced the HV power board
in several televideos; now they're using a bigger cap, but the new
caps still go bad after a while.

Bill

Bill Mayhew
Division of Basic Medical Sciences
Northeastern Ohio Universities' College of Medicine
Rootstown, OH  44272  USA    phone: 216-325-2511
(wtm@neucom.UUCP  or  ...!cbatt!neoucom!wtm , etc.)

gt6294b@gitpyr.gatech.EDU (SCHEUTZOW,MICHAEL J) (10/24/86)

>Its a darn good idea to turn the monitor off ...
>while everyone is out of the office.  We have 50 or
>60 terminals and monitors of various types around here, and have
>had several spontaneously catch fire in the CRT assembly.
>
> [...elaborate technical reasons for terminals to set themselves
>  on fire...]

I find it difficult to believe that that many terminals or computers
are on the verge of self-incineration, as implied by this posting.

Now that the VDT-radiation scare has subsided, maybe it's time for a
new crisis.   Anyone else care to offer a humble opinion?

Mike Scheutzow                  UUCP: gt6294b@gitpyr.uucp
Georgia Tech                    ARPA: gt6294b@pyr.ocs.gatech.edu

"We believe our computer system is better than many others, but
 we would be alarmed if it appreared to work perfectly.  Fortunately,
 there seems to be no cause for alarm." (smoke detectors have been
 installed :-)

In article <2475@gitpyr.gatech.EDU>, gt6294b@gitpyr.gatech.EDU (SCHEUTZOW,MICHAEL J) writes:
> >Its a darn good idea to turn the monitor off ...
> >while everyone is out of the office.  We have 50 or
> >60 terminals and monitors of various types around here, and have
> >had several spontaneously catch fire in the CRT assembly.
> I find it difficult to believe that that many terminals or computers
> are on the verge of self-incineration, as implied by this posting.
>
> Now that the VDT-radiation scare has subsided, maybe it's time for a
> new crisis.   Anyone else care to offer a humble opinion?

	There is nothing in a CRT monitor which is any more prone to catch
fire than in a computer itself.
	CRT monitors have no more than 24 volts DC present in any circuit
element, with the exception of the high voltage accelerating potential
circuit.  Now, THAT circuit may well have 12 to 25 kilovolts of DC, but will
be so current-limited (a few microamperes), that one would be hard-pressed
to start a fire by intentionally removing the anode wire and arcing it between
ground and a piece of paper!
	What else is there _different_ in a CRT that will burn?  The
deflection yoke?  No way!

	Now, let's talk about a REAL VDT problem:  I hear that VDT's cause
an unhealthy buildup of negative phlogiston in the atmosphere... :-)

==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
==>  UUCP:  {allegra|decvax|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
==>  VOICE: 716/688-1231           {hplabs|ihnp4|seismo|utzoo}!/
==>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3}      "Have you hugged your cat today?"

forbus@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (10/26/86)

I have seen CRTs catch fire more than once.  I have never seen CPUs or other
peripherals catch fire.  The earlier poster's arguments about voltages may
sound appealing a priori, but does not jibe with experience.  Shorts in HV
systems, even though the current is low, can indeed lead to fires.  Unless
the machine involved has a serious disk or likes to live in a machine room,
I turn the power off when I'm through with it for the day.

berger@clio.Uiuc.ARPA (10/26/86)

That's a relief.  Now explain it to my monitor, which caught fire
a few months ago.

skip@ubvax.UUCP (Stayton D Addison Jr) (10/27/86)

In article <302@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
>	Now for the real meat of this letter.  Its a darn good idea
>to turn the monitor off (ie. no 110v going in, not just the
>intensity down) while everyone is out of the office.  We have 50 or
> ... [stuff related to why one should turn off the monitor]

Even with the power switch turned off, several monitors still drain a few
milliamps.  (Maybe for a cathode heater?)  It would seem wise to turn off
the power switch, but not the source of 110V power.  An example is the IBM
Color/Graphics Display.

-- Skip Addison
   {lll-crg, decwrl, ihnp4}!amdcad!cae780!ubvax!skip
   or sun!amd!ubvax!skip

bill@hp-pcd.UUCP (bill) (10/27/86)

I seem to remember a few years ago we had an HP-87 prototype (personal
desktop computer) catch fire.  Problem was traced to a small bypass capacitor
on a 6V supply; its dielectric material for some reason broke down and
ignited.  Further investigation showed that particular type of capacitor to
be fairly prone to such failure.  I don't remember whether we changed the
type of capacitor, or switched to a different manufacturer, but using a
different part did cure the problem.

Don't overlook seemingly innocent components as potential problem spots.
EVERYONE uses things like bypass capacitors just about EVERYWHERE (ever
wonder what that little capacitor next to each chip in a RAM array was for?).
The voltage doesn't really matter; as long as there's enough current to
heat up anything that's shorted out, and the power supply doesn't see
the problem and limit the current or shut itself down ...

bill frolik
hp-pcd!bill
Hewlett-Packard Portable Computer Division
Corvallis, Oregon

npollack@polyslo.UUCP (Neal Pollack) (10/28/86)

In article <1379@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:

>	There is nothing in a CRT monitor which is any more prone to catch
>fire than in a computer itself.
>	CRT monitors have no more than 24 volts DC present in any circuit
>element, with the exception of the high voltage accelerating potential
>circuit.  Now, THAT circuit may well have 12 to 25 kilovolts of DC, but will
>be so current-limited (a few microamperes), that one would be hard-pressed
>to start a fire by intentionally removing the anode wire and arcing it between
>ground and a piece of paper!
>	What else is there _different_ in a CRT that will burn?  The
>deflection yoke?  No way!
>
>==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
>==>  UUCP:  {allegra|decvax|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
>==>  VOICE: 716/688-1231           {hplabs|ihnp4|seismo|utzoo}!/

No offense Mr. Larry Lippman, but you are giving users dangerous
advice indicating that it is not realistic for a monitor to cause
a fire.  I have been a technician for 12 years, and an Engineer
for the last 7.  I have seen numerous fires started by both 5 volt
logic, and high voltage in monitors.  Netland people, do not fear
your low voltage logic, it is rare to start a fire with the 5 volt
levels.   However, when it comes to the monitors, maybe Mr. Lippman
can explain to our Fire Department why he thinks they can not burn.
We have seen several monitor fires here over the last few years.  They
have ranged across many brands.  In most cases, the high voltage
section (10 -25 Kvolts) has started a fire by either arcing or
internals shorts in the transformers. In one case, a power resistor
in the power supply of a Tek Graphics terminal flamed out and set
the board on fire overnight.  In all cases, our smoke
detectors alerted the fire crews before serious damage to the
laboratory complex.  Larry states, "you may be hard-pressed to
ignite a piece of paper...". I say, and have seen, that you
can easily destroy the entire terminal
and maybe the building which houses it.   The problem usually starts
with a build-up of combustible dust, attracted by electro-static
charge.  The dust may absord moisture, which can then result in
arcing.  The arcing WILL cause the dust to burn, and hence the
transformer and insulation will follow.
Also, beware of people at your site that toss print-outs on top
of a monitor (right over the cooling vents).  Very expensive
mistake if you don't like modern char-black wall-paper.

Moral:  Leave logic and hard-disk on.
        Turn monitors OFF !!

This is the policy in our lab units.

(P.S.  Larry, I do not hate you, I just happen to be a safety type.)

Neal Pollack
Chief Engineer
California Polytecnic State University
Computer Science Department
San Luis Obispo, CA  93407

corwin@cdp.UUCP (10/29/86)

Who is building all of these funky monitors which are catching fire??
This must be a recent phenomenon, perhaps cost cutting measures due
to the "clone wars".  In my 15 years' experience with computers, I've
never seen a monitor flame on (other than reading these messages :-).

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (10/29/86)

Color monitors often draw a little bit of current when the front
panel power switch is off.  This is due to the fact that a
de-gaussing coil is wrapped around the front edge of the CRT and
supplied with a few mA of 60Hz current to prevent a static magnetic
field from forming on the shadow mask and causing color blotches.
The AC switch is often rigged to send a larger current for a few
seconds right when the monitor is switched on to clean up any
residual field.

For these monitors, I'd leave them plugged in, but not turned on
overnight (unless somebody is around, of course!).

-------------original citation follows:--------------
In article <572@ubvax.UUCP>, skip@ubvax.UUCP (Stayton D Addison Jr) writes:
> In article <302@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
> >	Now for the real meat of this letter.  Its a darn good idea
> >to turn the monitor off (ie. no 110v going in, not just the
> >intensity down) while everyone is out of the office.  We have 50 or
> > ... [stuff related to why one should turn off the monitor]
>
> Even with the power switch turned off, several monitors still drain a few
> milliamps.  (Maybe for a cathode heater?)  It would seem wise to turn off
> the power switch, but not the source of 110V power.  An example is the IBM
> Color/Graphics Display.
>
> -- Skip Addison

spf@bonnie.ATT.COM (10/30/86)

I had a memory board in an image processor catch fire once when
a capacitor popped.  The cooling fans spread the heat across the
board and scorched the plastic-or-whatever, resulting in vile
smoke and (at least the evidence of) flames.

In article <220@polyslo.UUCP>, npollack@polyslo.UUCP (Neal Pollack) writes:
> In article <1379@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
> >	There is nothing in a CRT monitor which is any more prone to catch
> >fire than in a computer itself.
> >	CRT monitors have no more than 24 volts DC present in any circuit
> >element, with the exception of the high voltage accelerating potential
> >circuit.  Now, THAT circuit may well have 12 to 25 kilovolts of DC, but will
> >be so current-limited (a few microamperes), that one would be hard-pressed
> >to start a fire by intentionally removing the anode wire and arcing between
> >ground and a piece of paper!
> >	What else is there _different_ in a CRT that will burn?  The
> >deflection yoke?  No way!
>
> No offense Mr. Larry Lippman, but you are giving users dangerous
> advice indicating that it is not realistic for a monitor to cause
> a fire.  I have been a technician for 12 years, and an Engineer
> for the last 7.  I have seen numerous fires started by both 5 volt
> logic, and high voltage in monitors.  Netland people, do not fear
> your low voltage logic, it is rare to start a fire with the 5 volt
> levels.   However, when it comes to the monitors, maybe Mr. Lippman
> can explain to our Fire Department why he thinks they can not burn.

	First of all, I am referring to CRT monitors which are mass-produced
and therefore _should_ be UL approved.  Like something made by NEC, Amdek,
Ball, Conrac, RCA, etc.  If you are using a monitor which is homebuilt,
surplus, or otherwise NOT UL-aprroved, then ANYTHING is possible!
	Second, I am referring to monitors which are PROPERLY MAINTAINED.
It should be obvious to anyone using a monitor for any period of time that
the electrostatic charge results in dust buildup, especially on the CRT
surface.  Dust, of course, also builds up INSIDE the monitor - which is why
all monitors should be opened at least once per year and vacuumed.  Such
cleaning is part of what I consider to be "proper maintenance".  There is no
question that a monitor with huge dust balls inside is a potential fire
hazard (which is no different than carelessly storing oily rags...).
	As long as we are talking about UL-approved monitors that are
reasonably dust free (which SHOULD be the case for everyone!), I stand by
my original posting - a monitor should be no more prone to catch fire than
any other computer circuitry.  Notice that I said "more prone", and NOT
"never".
	In a UL-approved monitor, you will find virtually no component -
including the case - that is not a self-extinguishing plastic.  This means
that printed circuit boards are NOT phenolic, but are something like a FR-4
fiberglass-epoxy construction.  Some catastrophic fault may result in SMOKE
until power is removed through operation of either internal or external
overcurrent devices, but it is highly unlikely that FIRE will result.
	Why?  Because in order for a self-extinguishing plastic to burn -
like FR-4 - it is necessary that external energy be applied.  With the
operation of an overcurrent device, this external source is removed.
	Sure, I've seen charred FR-4 - especially on boards where a fault
occured that resulted in a wire-wound resistor getting red-hot.  But once
the resistor opened under overload, or the power was cut, say by a blown
fuse, any FR-4 burning abruptly stopped.

> We have seen several monitor fires here over the last few years.  They
> have ranged across many brands.  In most cases, the high voltage
> section (10 -25 Kvolts) has started a fire by either arcing or
> internals shorts in the transformers.

	In the case of arcing, arcing against _what_?  Most monitors use
a horizontal output transformer with the high voltage lead running to an
inline silicon rectifier array, and thence to the CRT anode.  These silicon
rectifier arrays will open rather quickly under the overcurrent conditions
associated with arcing - thereby removing the source of the arcing energy.
	Should the horizontal output transformer develop a significant
internal short, then invariably either the horizontal output transistor
will fail due to overload, or the power supply overcurrent device will
actuate.  What is going to burn?  Is this any DIFFERENT than the power
supply transformer in a computer developing an internal short?

> In one case, a power resistor
> in the power supply of a Tek Graphics terminal flamed out and set
> the board on fire overnight.

	This is a POWER SUPPLY PROBLEM.  Is this any different than the
computer itself?

> In all cases, our smoke
> detectors alerted the fire crews before serious damage to the
> laboratory complex.

	Did the fire burn through the terminal housing?  If not, was the
terminal housing hot enough to blister paint and ignite say, paper left
in contact with the terminal.

	Look, I'm not saying that monitors won't catch fire, and I'm not
denying that monitors haven't caught fire in the past.
	There is a possibility of fire ANY time line-operated electronic
equipment is involved.  All I am saying is that for what should be a NORMAL
situation (i.e., a properly maintained, UL-approved monitor), there is no
greater probability of it catching fire than in say, the computer itself.

dmt@mtunb.UUCP (Dave Tutelman) (11/09/86)

In article <2475@gitpyr.gatech.EDU> gt6294b@gitpyr.UUCP (SCHEUTZOW,MICHAEL J) writes:

>>Its a darn good idea to turn the monitor off ...
>>while everyone is out of the office.  We have 50 or
>>60 terminals and monitors of various types around here, and have
>>had several spontaneously catch fire in the CRT assembly.
>
>I find it difficult to believe that that many terminals or computers
>are on the verge of self-incineration, as implied by this posting.
>
>Now that the VDT-radiation scare has subsided, maybe it's time for a
>new crisis.   Anyone else care to offer a humble opinion?

Where I work, there are LOTS of PCs and terminals, many of which get left
on for long periods of time.  I remember exactly ONE catching fire.
It was a Concept [108?] terminal.  A large lab FULL of computers and
terminals started to smell, and we walked around sniffing till we found
the offending equipment.

To give you some idea of the probability:
	This is one of four similarly equipped labs.
	It has four minicomputers, four PCs and about two dozen terminals,
		most of which run continuously.
	This is the only such incident I can remember over the course
		of about three years.

Assuming [contrary to fact] that this shred of data is statistically
representative, the MTBF (Mean Time Between Fires) of this sort of
equipment is about 3,000,000 hours, or about 300 years.

By the way, some minicomputers ARE a fire hazard.  In particular, if
the machine will run hot enough to catch fire with [n-m] cooling fans
SEIZED off (not just unpowered) and the other [m > 0] fans funning,
you could get a REALLY nasty one.  About a dozen years ago, DEC sent
out a mod kit for PDP 9s and 15s, after a couple of really impressive fires.
(I don't know if anybody still makes computers that indulge in
self-immolation.)

       ---===		Dave Tutelman
    -------=====	Physical - AT&T Information Systems
 ==--------========		307 Middletown-Lincroft Rd.