[net.micro.pc] MS LINK- fixup error

rosen@mtgzz.UUCP (t.rosenfeld) (11/04/86)

I'm having a terrible problem linking my program! I am using Microsoft
C and Assembler. I am trying to link in an assembly module with my C modules
and I keep getting "Fixup overflow ..." errors when I link. After much barking
up the wrong tree I had the compiler generate the .ASM via the "-Fa" option,
then assemble the .ASM file with MASM then link-- and I still got the same
error. Mind you If I did not use "-Fa" and compiled and linked in one step
I got no link errors. I am thinking that the compiler passes some secret
options to the assembler that I don't know about to make things work. The
options I used were:

	masm /MX /ML

I also added the "/A",but that didn't help either. My compile command line
is:
	cl -Alfu -K -Od

Any suggestions???

--
----------------
Thomas Rosenfeld

		UUCP:		{harpo,ihnp4,burl,akgua}!mtgzz!rosen

Disclaimer: I don't claim anything.

petera@utcsri.UUCP (Peter Ashwood-Smith) (11/07/86)

> I'm having a terrible problem linking my program! I am using Microsoft
> C and Assembler. I am trying to link in an assembly module with my C modules
> and I keep getting "Fixup overflow ..." errors when I link. After much barking

     What does your assembly language routines look like. Since you are
compiling for a large model, you must declare all subroutines as far not
near and handle all pointers as segement/offset pairs.

   Peter Ashwood-Smith
   University of Toronto.

jallen@netxcom.UUCP (John Allen) (11/09/86)

In article <2250@mtgzz.UUCP> rosen@mtgzz.UUCP (t.rosenfeld) writes:
>I'm having a terrible problem linking my program! I am using Microsoft
>C and Assembler. I am trying to link in an assembly module with my C modules
>and I keep getting "Fixup overflow ..." errors when I link. After much barking
[etc.]

I have seen this error message a number of times, and unless I'm mistaken,
in each case the problem was a conflict between global symbols, one each in
code and data segments.  My personal favorite was a global variable called
"exit".

Hope this helps,

John Allen
NetExpress Communications, Inc.      seismo!{sundc|hadron}!netxcom!jallen
1953 Gallows Road, Suite 300         (703) 749-2238
Vienna, Va., 22180