[net.micro.pc] Unix for at clone

thurlow@utcs.UUCP (11/03/86)

I am posting this for a friend ...

I am the friend...  I have a Televideo "TeleCAT" which is their
80286-2 based AT clone.  I'd like information on any Unix
compatible OSs available for this machine.  I'd also appreciate
any suggestions based on experience with Xenix-286.  Please include
the source and price if you reply.

Please reply by mail.

Thanks,

Jon Haruni.

S.A. Thurlow
UUCP:  {decvax,seismo!mnetor,utzoo}!utcs!thurlow
ARPA:  ??????

howardl@tekline.UUCP (Howard D. Leadmon) (11/07/86)

In article <1986Nov2.210341.1401@utcs.uucp>, thurlow@utcs.uucp (Scott A. Thurlow) writes:

> I am the friend...  I have a Televideo "TeleCAT" which is their
> 80286-2 based AT clone.  I'd like information on any Unix
> compatible OSs available for this machine.  I'd also appreciate
> any suggestions based on experience with Xenix-286.  Please include
> the source and price if you reply.
>
> Jon Haruni.

 I figured I would post this here on the net for anyone that is interested
in putting UNIX/XENIX on a AT or clone.

 First if you use IBM-XENIX 2.x as your operating system of choice (I have been
told it has the best documentation), you had better make sure that the ROM's
that hold the Harddrive configuration had better be the same as IBM. This is
due to the fact that IBM-XENIX 2.x gets the drive info from the ROM directly.

 If you want to run XENIX but don't know if it is compatible to IBM in that
respect then I suggest that you probably take a look at SCO. SCO is very close
to IBM but it dosen't use the ROM's to get the Harddrive type, both IBM and SCO
are Sys V Rel 2.

 Now one other option is to look at Microport which is really a true UNIX port
(Sys V Rel. 2), and I have been told that it fits the SVR2 standard 100%. Also
is dosen't need to read the ROM's for the drive types. Now I may get flamed on
this but I have been told that that the Microport UNIX is at least 100% faster
that the XENIX equivlent. Now I have not tested the various versions myself,
this is strictley info I have got from various articles. But I do know that
the information about the ROM's is correct...

Disclaimer: The opinions above are of course my own !!

--
					Sincearley,
					Howard D. Leadmon

dyer@spdcc.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (11/09/86)

> If you want to run XENIX but don't know if it is compatible to IBM in that
>respect then I suggest that you probably take a look at SCO. SCO is very close
>to IBM but it dosen't use the ROM's to get the Harddrive type, both IBM and SCO
>are Sys V Rel 2.

SCO XENIX uses the "ROM's", just like IBM XENIX.  Golden Bow Systems makes
a ROM set that plugs into the spare ROM sockets of an AT and other clones
which will allow just about any geometry disk to be used with XENIX.
--
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.HARVARD.EDU