[net.startrek] The Wounded Sky

hector@princeton.UUCP (12/14/83)

Subject: The Wounded Sky
Newsgroups: net.startrek

People, you MUST read Diane Duane's new ST novel, "The Wounded Sky".  This
is one of the very best ST books ever.

This book fulfills the promise Gene Roddenberry tried to live up to in the
first movie (and failed dismally at).  It has lots of non-humanoid aliens,
mind-stretching concepts, and is very very loyal to the ideals of ST...
as well it should be, it was edited by David Gerrold.

By the way, did someone complain about K't'lk being called "a pretty alien
scientist" on the cover blurb?  That's no mistake -- she certainly is
pretty alien.

                              Have fun...
                              Stewart Wiener
                              Princeton Univ. EECS
                              {allegra,harpo}!princeton!flakey!stewart

friedman@uiucdcs.UUCP (12/17/83)

#R:princeto:-16300:uiucdcs:24900023:000:503
uiucdcs!friedman    Dec 16 08:45:00 1983

A lot of people seem excited by "The Wounded Sky".  I dunno that it was
all that great.  One thing that bugs me is all this stuff about time stopping,
zero time elapsed, etc. -- while the story goes on the have things happening
"during" that "stopped" time.  I can suspend disbelief in a lot of things,
but that doesn't even make sense to me!  If time is stopped (whatever that
means), then nothing can take place that has any duration or sequence at
all (what would "before" and "after" mean?).  Nuts.

kalash@ucbcad.UUCP (12/24/83)

#R:princeton:-16300:ucbcad:24300002:000:389
ucbcad!kalash    Dec 15 09:43:00 1983

> People, you MUST read Diane Duane's new ST novel, "The Wounded Sky".  This
> is one of the very best ST books ever.

	Thank you, but I think Vonda McIntyre's "The Entropy Effect" was much
better. As much as I like Diane's writing (read "Door into Fire" for a GREAT
book), this one was pretty bad. There are so many plot holes, you could drive
the doomsday machine through them.

			Joe