[net.music] Group Names

d3u@psuvm.UUCP (04/05/85)

 I've seen these listed as candidates for the worst name:

 the group with no name (this is no joke, they even recorded an album c. 1975)
The United States of America  ( but they did some great music, psychedelic,1968
Joe Byrd and the Field Hippies (after he left The US of A band, 1970)
the Electric Prunes  (some great psychedelic, 67 & 68, did Mass in Fminor  in
                           which Gregorian chent met acid rock)
Ultimate Spinach (67-69 variety of rock, pop, jazz influences)

Toe Fat                  (these bands had some good songs, and some mediocre
Fat Mattress      forgettable ones as well if not more)

I like these as unusual, or creative names (actually i like the above names, to
o, although for for their stupid or for-the-sake-of -it oddness):

Iron Butterfly, Grateful Dead, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Tangerine Dream,
Blue Cheer (sounds like something blaring from an amp, also a sum fo opposites)
Ash Ra Tempel (obscure German space band  mystical sounding name with an air of
 ancient history),
Gentle Giant, Soft Machine, Ra Can Row (obscure"acid rock for the80's" great!)

 ... that's enough for now.....from the archives of the cosmic Ray

al@psivax.UUCP (Al Schwartz) (04/11/85)

Other candidates for the worst (or unusual) group name:
	The Dead Kennedys
	Throbbing Gristle
	Miserable Sex
	Billy and the Beaters
	Jack Mack and the Heart Attack (Hit song: Cardiac Party)
	Ogden Edsel Wahaleia Blues Ensemble Mondo-Bizarreo Band
--
                                      Al Schwartz
                                      Pacesetter Systems Inc., Sylmar, CA

morris@Shasta.ARPA (04/12/85)

Some more ususual group names:

	Celibate Rifles
	Pop Off to Granny's
	Box of Fish
	Customer Parking
	Gulf Club

These were all playing in Sydney when I was last there.  Celibate Rifles
have been around for about 5 years now.  There are a probably a few more
I can't remember...

Kathy Morris
(morris@su-diablo.arpa, ...decvax!decwrl!shasta!morris)

hash@bentley.UUCP (M Hashizume) (04/17/85)

... and Atomic Rooster (circa late 60's) and of course
? and the Mysterians ....

--Mark Hashizume

berry@zinfandel.UUCP (Berry Kercheval) (04/17/85)

In article <390@psivax.UUCP> al@psivax.UUCP (Al Schwartz) writes:
>Other candidates for the worst (or unusual) group name:

How about
	"Ophir Prison Marching Kazoo Band and Temperance Society, Ltd."
	led by Capt. Rufus T. Whizbang.

No, really, I'm not making this up!  My brother played trumpet with them.

--
Berry Kercheval		Zehntel Inc.	(ihnp4!zehntel!zinfandel!berry)
(415)932-6900				(kerch@lll-tis.ARPA)

boyajian@akov68.DEC (04/24/85)

Sometime back, someone a few offices down had a clipping on his wall from the
BOSTON HERALD AMERICAN (15 July 1982), which ran a series of excerpts from
THE BOOK OF ROCK LISTS by Dave Marsh and Kevin Stein. This particular list
was entitled "Remember Acid Rock?" Here goes:

"You can't say we didn't warn you. 40 of the Most Absurd Group Names
of the Psychedelic Era"

 1. Africa Creeps Up and Up
 2. Autosalvage
 3. Aum
 4. Ball Point Pen
 5. Bubble Puppy
 6. Clear Light
 7. The Charging Tyrannosaurus of Despair (The name was later changed
	to Detroit Edison White Light Co., because the drummer refused
	to have anything to do with despair.)
 8. Chocolate Watchband
 9. Truman Coyote
10. The Crab Cometh Forth
11. Daisy Overkill
12. Dr. Zoom and His Sonic Boom
13. The Electric Rectum
14. The Electric Prunes
15. Everpresent Fullness
16. Everything is Everything
17. The Fifty Foot Hose
18. Frosted Suede
19. Frumious Bandersnatch
20. The Grateful Dead
21. Hmmm
22. The Holy Modal Rounders
23. It's a Beautiful Day
24. The Jefferson Airplane
25. Jesus Christ and the Nailknockers
26. Lothar and the Hand People
27. The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
28. The Only Alternative and His Other Possibilities
	[I think this is my favorite, though #7 above comes close. -- jmb]
29. The Peanut Butter Conspiracy
30. Ph Factor Jug Band
31. Purple Earthquake
32. Recurring Love Habit
33. The Strawberry Alarm Clock
34. 13th Floor Elevator
35. Thorsten Veblen Blues Band
36. The Time Being
37. Tiny Hearing Aid Company
38. Transatlantic Chicken Wicken No. 5
39. Ultimate Spinach
40. Uncut Balloon

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

Benjamin%PCO@CISL-SERVICE-MULTICS.ARPA (Paul Benjamin) (04/24/85)

I was always impressed with:

Root Boy Slim and the Sex Change Band (featuring the Rootettes)

(Washington, DC, circa 1979, Warner Bros.)

and

the Charging Rhinocerous of Soul (later the Original Charging
Rhinocerous of Soul Review)

(Ann Arbor, MI, late 60's, unrecorded)

simms@h-sc1.UUCP (paul simms) (05/01/85)

One of my personal favorites is a Boston area group called
"Judy's Tiny Head", after a B. Kliban one-frame cartoon with
the caption, "The callous sophisticates laughed at Judy's Tiny
Head."

		"I sense a presence I have not felt since..."

9222wl@hou2a.UUCP (W.LEE) (05/02/85)

Dear me.  My age will show but...

1.  The Strawberry Alarm Clock had (what I consider the) definitive pychedelic/
    pop song of the 60's, "Incense and Peppermints".  That was their only
    "hit".  I don't know any album names, but someone out there does.

2.  Blue Cheer... hmmmmm.  Vague, and my office mate isn't here to help.

3.  Paul Revere and the Raiders!  Oh boy!!!  Great pop stuff.  They wore
    Revolutionary War costumes.  "Kicks" is probably one of their best songs,
    but for our reply to the British pop invasion of the 60's, this is one of
    the goodies!  They were also the hosts of a Dick Clark produced
    afternoon music fest called (OK kids, here it comes) "Where the Action
    Is".  "Bandstand" on the beach, as I recall.

Now as I clear off the cobwebs...

Diane Wilkerson	  "I can't stand this indecision, married with a lack of vision"
..!hobcms!hopd4!dvw

chris@pyuxc.UUCP (R. Hollenbeck) (05/02/85)

1.  The Strawberry Alarm Clock did "Incense and Peppermints,"
   as someone has already pointed out on the net.  I'm not altogether
   convinced that they were a real band or an attempt to cash in on
   flower power.  The reason I say that is because I remember them
   being aggressively fashionable, i.e., Indian smocks/shirts, love bead,
   Sonny Bono/Imogene Coca haircuts.  Also, I seem to remember them
   performing "Incense and Peppermints" in a movie called "Psych-Out,"
   a Dick Clark-produced movie about hippies, made around 1967.  If
   Dick was in on it, chances are good that the Strawberry Alarm Clock
   were never intended to be more than one-hit wonders (remember,
   Dick Clark is the man who brought us Fabian and other Philadelphia
   luminaries).  Incidentally, Psych-Out is a really neat movie,
   starring, of all people, Jack Nicholson and featuring Jack in
   a band that plays Purple Haze backwards.
   It's on Channel 7 late at night now and then - check it out.
2. Blue Cheer named themselves after a type of LSD popular in the
  60s.  Their big hit was a very loud version of Summertime Blues.
3.  Paul Revere and the Raiders were, as someone has already pointed
   out, the house band on "Where the Action Is."  They played
   the hits of the day whenever the bands that actually had the hits
   couldn't (wouldn't?) be on the show.  Then they had some hits of
   their own, "Kicks," "Hungry,"  "Good Thing," "Just Like Me,"
   and, in the early 70s, "Indian Reservation."

Chris Hollenbeck
Old enough to remember all this stuff

evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (05/03/85)

Paul Revere and the Raiders sang lots of things.  Two of them are Kicks
and Indian Reservation.  They used to dress up in Colonial Era garb on
stage.

The Strawberry Alarm Clock were one of those one hit wonders.  A medley
of their hit would be 'Incense and Peppermints'.

(I knew these, I had to look up the next one...)

Blue Cheer had a hit in 1968 with a remake of Summertime Blues.

--Evan Marcus

--

{ucbvax|decvax}!vax135!petsd!pedsgd!pedsga!evan
                         ...!petfe!evan

There are two kinds of people in the world, those who divide people into two
kinds, and those who don't.

mms1646@acf4.UUCP (Michael M. Sykora) (05/03/85)

>/* 9222wl@hou2a.UUCP (W.LEE) /  5:10 pm  May  1, 1985 */

>Dear me.  My age will show but...

>1.  The Strawberry Alarm Clock had (what I consider the) definitive pychedelic/
>    pop song of the 60's, "Incense and Peppermints".  That was their only
>    "hit".  I don't know any album names, but someone out there does.

That is a great song!

In case you're interested, the Paul Butterfield Blues Band had an album
around '66 entitled "East-West," the title song of which might be
considered the first (and possibly the best) psychedelic music made.

						Michael Sykora

cdk@avsdS.UUCP (Chris Kendall) (05/03/85)

> Sometime back, someone a few offices down had a clipping on his wall from the
> BOSTON HERALD AMERICAN (15 July 1982), which ran a series of excerpts from
> THE BOOK OF ROCK LISTS by Dave Marsh and Kevin Stein. This particular list
> was entitled "Remember Acid Rock?" Here goes:
>
> "You can't say we didn't warn you. 40 of the Most Absurd Group Names
> of the Psychedelic Era"
>
>  1. Africa Creeps Up and Up
>  2. Autosalvage
>  3. Aum
>  4. Ball Point Pen
>  5. Bubble Puppy
>  6. Clear Light
>  7. The Charging Tyrannosaurus of Despair (The name was later changed
> 	to Detroit Edison White Light Co., because the drummer refused
> 	to have anything to do with despair.)
>  8. Chocolate Watchband
>  9. Truman Coyote
> 10. The Crab Cometh Forth
> 11. Daisy Overkill
> 12. Dr. Zoom and His Sonic Boom
> 13. The Electric Rectum
> 14. The Electric Prunes
> 15. Everpresent Fullness
> 16. Everything is Everything
> 17. The Fifty Foot Hose
> 18. Frosted Suede
> 19. Frumious Bandersnatch
> 20. The Grateful Dead
> 21. Hmmm
> 22. The Holy Modal Rounders
> 23. It's a Beautiful Day
> 24. The Jefferson Airplane
> 25. Jesus Christ and the Nailknockers
> 26. Lothar and the Hand People
> 27. The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
> 28. The Only Alternative and His Other Possibilities
> 	[I think this is my favorite, though #7 above comes close. -- jmb]
> 29. The Peanut Butter Conspiracy
> 30. Ph Factor Jug Band
> 31. Purple Earthquake
> 32. Recurring Love Habit
> 33. The Strawberry Alarm Clock
> 34. 13th Floor Elevator
> 35. Thorsten Veblen Blues Band
> 36. The Time Being
> 37. Tiny Hearing Aid Company
> 38. Transatlantic Chicken Wicken No. 5
> 39. Ultimate Spinach
> 40. Uncut Balloon
>

> --- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)
>
> UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
> ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

41. Aorta
42. Moby Grape  (although thes guys were actually very good the first
                 few times out.)
43. The 1910 Fruitgum Company (Yummie Yummie Yummie I got love in my Tummy)

yrdbrd@bmcg.UUCP (Larry J. Huntley) (05/03/85)

Blue Cheer was a late-60's (ca. 67/68) band from the East Coast
(I think); their Big Hit was yet another cover of Eddie Cochran's
"Summertime Blues."  The uniqueness of BC was that they were the
first American "Trio" (Guitar, Bass, Drums, Marshall amplifiers
by the hundredweight, power by the kilowatt), responding to Cream,
Jimi Hendrix, etc.  UNLIKE the British Trios, BC just played loud
and screamed the lyrics.  I can recall ruining at least one pair
of cheap-ass car stereo speakers with their (8-track) tape. Not
wonderful, but interesting; I liked the music at the time.
Probably could be said to be "Proto-Heavy Metal", as they were
around at least a year or so prior to Steppenwolf or Deep Purple.
Their first (only?) album was probably called "Blue Cheer"; anyone
else who is willing to admit their age is welcome to correct me.
(See also Grand Funk Railroad.)

"Gimme a Gibson L5 and a Fender Twin Reverb, and I'm together...."

'brd
--
Larry J. Huntley         Burroughs -(B)- Corporation
                       Advanced Systems Group   MS-703

                        -*- Non Circum Copulae -*-

knight@nmtvax.UUCP (05/05/85)

In article <> 9222wl@hou2a.UUCP (W.LEE) writes:
>1.  The Strawberry Alarm Clock had (what I consider the) definitive pychedelic/
>    pop song of the 60's, "Incense and Peppermints".  That was their only
	According to Rock Record:
		1.  Incense and Peppermints, 1968
	    2.  Wake Up, Its Tomorrow, 1968
	    3.  World In a Seashell, 1968 (?!?) really!
	    4.  Good Morning Starshine
		5.  Best of
		6.  Psych Out
		7.  Changes

>2.  Blue Cheer... hmmmmm.  Vague, and my office mate isn't here to help.
		Who could ever forget their version of "Summertime Blues."  Heavy,
	heavy, man (and terrible, perhaps?).

    Believe it or not, Blue Cheer and Paul Revere &R are still playing.  BC
just reformed and have (will have?) cut some new stuff.  PR&c have been
playing continuously from those days, but I don't have any specifics.

Bob

wfi@unc.UUCP (William F. Ingogly) (05/05/85)

> Probably could be said to be "Proto-Heavy Metal", as they were
> around at least a year or so prior to Steppenwolf or Deep Purple.
> Their first (only?) album was probably called "Blue Cheer"; anyone
> else who is willing to admit their age is welcome to correct me.

Blue Cheer put out at least two albums; the first, "Vincebus Eruptum,"
as I recall, has the silvery-blue cover with the photos of the
mop-tops on the front. That was the album with the cover of
"Summertime Blues." Their second album had one of the UGLIEST album
covers I've ever seen; it was a fold-out cover with the lyrics on the
inside, and a horrible painting showing Hobbit-like mushroom houses,
spoons (presumably for drugs), and the loveable lads scattered
throughout the landscape. Ugh. I can't remember any of the songs on
it, but it was definitely LOUD. Anyone who remembers the album's title
can have my mustard-yellow Nehru jacket. :-)

I seem to recall Blue Cheer being described as a "Heavy Metal" band
back in the late '60s; certainly the term has been around since then.
William Burroughs talks about the Heavy Metal Kids, I think in "Nova
Express;" I believe this may be the origin of the term, and that there
may have been a group in the '60s called the Heavy Metal Kids. Anyone
know for sure, or is my memory playing tricks on me? Certainly
Burroughs has provided names for other rock bands; Soft Machine and
Steely Dan are examples.

------------------------------
"Every town must have a place          -- (Blue) Cheers, Bill Ingogly
 Where phony hippies meet;
 Psychedelic dungeons
 Cropping up on every street.
 Go to San Francisco!"  - The Mothers

jims@hcrvax.UUCP (Jim Sullivan) (05/05/85)

What about "Chocolate Bunnies From Hell", I saw their video, not very good,
but I liked the name

Jim Sullivan

Newsgroups: net.music
Subject: re: group names

What about "Chocolate Bunnies From Hell", I saw their video, not very good,
but I liked the name

Jim Sullivan

Benjamin%PCO@CISL-SERVICE-MULTICS.ARPA (Paul Benjamin) (05/06/85)

They were a "real band" in the sense that they did tour.  I saw them in
the summer of 1967 at Masonic Temple Auditorium in Detroit on a bill
that included the Beach Boys, the Soul Survivors (Expressway to Your
Heart) and the Buffalo Springfield.

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (05/08/85)