[net.startrek] Star Trek II question

rjnoe@ihlts.UUCP (Roger Noe @ N41:48:31, W88:07:13) (02/02/84)

>	Why couldn't Kirk use the transporter to dematerialize the Genesis
>	device into its component atoms?
>					Phil Chin

Good question, indeed.  But first I have to say that I'm fairly sure that
Kirk did not offer to beam survivors of the Reliant on board the Enterprise.
Little matter here, because I think he told Uhura to signal them "Prepare
to be boarded" and I know they weren't going to use ropes and swing over
(cutlasses in hand).  They had to have transporter power and be within
range to use it.

I suppose (as others have suggested) that there might not have been enough
power to beam the whole Genesis device.  It would weigh considerably more than
a few people, and it's a pretty good bet to say that power required for the
transporter is roughly proportional to the mass being transported.  And
destroying Genesis with Reliant perhaps would have set it off.  David
Marcus said that Kirk could not just go over there and shut it off.  The
implication was that even David couldn't do it, i.e. a physical impossibility.
Except for running, that only left the transporter.

There have been times that something has been beamed out to space at "widest
possible angle of dispersion".  But does that necessarily mean that a
solid flies apart into zillions of pieces, resembling more of a gas?
Nomad was transported whole and promptly destroyed itself ("Sterilize!").
The humanoid body that Redjac (Jack the Ripper) had taken control of was
beamed out, where the body undoubtedly died rather quickly.  Redjac itself
would live for a long time regardless of what happened to that body.
There are other examples.  But nowhere do we have a real reason to believe
that the transporter could really pull things apart.  Matter transportation
is quite a problem in itself, but transmutation is much less conceivable.
We know that Starfleet does not have this capability in the Star Trek time
frame.  All the Enterprise could have done would be to transport the
Genesis device out to maximum transporter range (in TV Star Trek, that was
something like 25 Mm) which was not far enough.  The energy could be better
used at achieving "best possible speed", well under the speed of light.

But of course none of these explanations approach the real reason that Kirk
could not have beamed away Genesis.  The real reason being that this way,
being forced to run and without enough power to make it, makes for a
dramatic scene and allows Spock to die in a way that befits the character.
		Roger Noe		ihnp4!ihlts!rjnoe

crl@pur-phy.UUCP (Charles LaBrec) (02/03/84)

Well, if I am allowed to stretch my imagination--the transporter
requires extremely accurate position information.  It is usually
extremely difficult to even use sensors for this, that is why
communicators were so necessary.  In the Mutara Nebula, sensors
were almost useless, and even visual was extremely unreliable.
Therefore, trying to pinpoint the Genesis device would be next to
impossible.

Charles LaBrec
UUCP:		pur-ee!Physics:crl, purdue!Physics:crl
INTERNET:	crl @ pur-phy.UUCP

john@hp-pcd.UUCP (02/09/84)

Khan was able to use the transporter to steal the Genesis device only after
he had its exact location. Kirk could not have done it.

John Eaton

!hplabs!hp-pcd!john

rjnoe@ihlts.UUCP (Roger Noe @ N41:48:31, W88:07:13) (02/10/84)

>>	Khan was able to use the transporter to steal the Genesis device only
>>	after he had its exact location. Kirk could not have done it.
>>		John Eaton

There were two differences.  Genesis was ACTIVE at the time Kirk could have
thought about transporting it away.  They could pick up its energy waveforms
so they could locate the source.  Also, Kirk knew what he was looking for,
having seen all the classified material on project Genesis.  Khan had no idea
whatsoever what Genesis was or did (beyond a few intelligent guesses, I
assume--after all, he did have the superiore inntellect, not to mention
rrich corrinthiann leathherr).
	Roger Noe		ihnp4!ihlts!rjnoe

jonab@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Jonathan Biggar) (03/08/84)

In article <355@ihlts.UUCP> rjnoe@ihlts.UUCP writes:
>>>	Khan was able to use the transporter to steal the Genesis device only
>>>	after he had its exact location. Kirk could not have done it.
>>>		John Eaton
>
>There were two differences.  Genesis was ACTIVE at the time Kirk could have
>thought about transporting it away.  They could pick up its energy waveforms
>so they could locate the source.  Also, Kirk knew what he was looking for,
>having seen all the classified material on project Genesis.  Khan had no idea
>whatsoever what Genesis was or did (beyond a few intelligent guesses, I
>assume--after all, he did have the superiore inntellect, not to mention
>rrich corrinthiann leathherr).
>	Roger Noe		ihnp4!ihlts!rjnoe

There are several good reasons why Kirk could not use the transporter to
destroy the Genesis device:

1)  The Enterprise has been very badly damaged by Khan's attack in
    the Mutara nebula.  The ship probably did not have enough power
    to operate the transporters without putting the main engines
    back on line.

2)  The nebula was dense enough to stop the ship's shields from operating,
    and to make the ship's sensors almost worthless.  They could pick
    up the energy being released by the Genesis device because of
    the large amount of energy it put out,  but probably could not
    locate it accurately enough to use the transporters anyway.

3)  Kirk just didn't think of it. :-}

Jon Biggar
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdccsu3,trw-unix}!sdcrdcf!jonab

rjnoe@ihlts.UUCP (Roger Noe) (03/12/84)

To state my views once again, I do not think Kirk could have used the
Enterprise's transporters to destroy the Genesis device.  If you look at the
reference line to this article you'll see this discussion has been going on
a long time . . .

>>	The Enterprise has been very badly damaged by Khan's attack in
>>	the Mutara nebula.  The ship probably did not have enough power
>>	to operate the transporters without putting the main engines
>>	back on line.

Doubtful, because Kirk told Uhura to signal Reliant to prepare to be boarded.
That almost certainly means using transporters within the next few minutes.

>>	They could pick up the energy being released by the Genesis device
>>	because of the large amount of energy it put out,  but probably could
>>	not locate it accurately enough to use the transporters anyway.

Possible, but sensors have been demonstrated before to be quite accurate at
locating sources of energy.  Nevertheless, it's a pretty good point.

>>	Kirk just didn't think of it. :-}
>>	Jon Biggar

Well of course that's the real reason.  Put another way, they didn't write it
into the story because it was more interesting the way they DID film it.
	Roger Noe		ihnp4!ihlts!rjnoe

rtf@ihuxw.UUCP (sparrow) (03/13/84)

<blank line>

As to the ongoing discussion as to why Kirk did not use the
transporter to destroy the Genesis device, I submit the following
argument. Kirk DID think of it when he said they would beam over
and stop the device.  David then said bluntly, "You can't".
This means the only use would be to beam the device as far
away as possible which was already discussed here earlier and
dismissed.

This is the way I remember it.

					sparrow

crigney@uok.UUCP (04/01/84)

#R:sdcrdcf:-88700:uok:8400016:37777777600:582
uok!crigney    Mar 31 01:07:00 1984

I agree with sparrow; once the Genesis device was started it could not
be turned off, and transporting it into space would have made no difference,
it would've just gone off wherever they sent it.  I'm quite sure the
Transporter didn't have the range to transport it so far that the wave
effect wouldn't reach the Enterprise.

The scene I miss most in the movie, that was in the book, is the computer
game Boojum Hunt that two of the Genesis scientists use to fool Khan.
Of course, they paid terribly for their cleverness...

	Carl
	..!ctvax!uokvax!uok!crigney
	..!duke!uok!crigney

keasmith@uok.UUCP (04/01/84)