[net.startrek] ? about ST I & ST II movies; rank of capt.

ix21@sdccs6.UUCP (04/06/84)

DDT, raid, black flag, venus fly traps, anteaters and aardvarks

In the first movie when Admiral Kirk was placed in command of the
Enterprise, he was temporarly demoted to captain and Captain Decker to
commander.  This was both mentioned in the dialogue and in a change of
the insignias on their uniforms.  Yet when Kirk took command of the
Enterprise in the second movie he retained his rank of Admiral and
Spock never took off his Captain bars.  Anyone have any guesses or
educated ideas?

Also did anyone notice that in the novelization of ST. II, Sulu was
promoted to the rank of Captain, but in the movie he still wore
commander bars.
--
David Whiteman sdcsvax!sdccs6!whiteman
UCSD Medical School, La Jolla CA

ron@brl-vgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (04/09/84)

I didn't notice the change of uniform insignia which is probably some
brain damage of the writers.  However.  There is only one captain aboard
a sea (space) going vessel.  Admiral Kirk could have been correctly called
captain as the person in charge of the ship if he were Admiral or Lt. J.G.
Any people of rank captain on the ship, who are captain are bumped up in
formal salutation to Commodore (which is how you address a person of rank
just above captain).

-Ron

jonab@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Jonathan Biggar) (04/09/84)

In article <1327@sdccs6.UUCP> ix21@sdccs6.UUCP writes:
>In the first movie when Admiral Kirk was placed in command of the
>Enterprise, he was temporarly demoted to captain and Captain Decker to
>commander.  This was both mentioned in the dialogue and in a change of
>the insignias on their uniforms.  Yet when Kirk took command of the
>Enterprise in the second movie he retained his rank of Admiral and
>Spock never took off his Captain bars.  Anyone have any guesses or
>educated ideas?

It is navy tradition that only one person aboard a ship be called
"Captain" -- the person in charge of the ship.  Kirk was not demoted,
he is still an admiral, but is called captain out of respect for his
responsibility as master of the ship.  Decker cannot be called
captain while Kirk is in command, so they had call him by the
rank of commander instead.

Jon Biggar
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdccsu3}!sdcrdcf!jonab

chenr@tilt.UUCP (Raymond Chen ) (04/10/84)

One thing you have to remember is that the Enterprise mission
was an unplanned, emergency mission.  Kirk was along on a training
cruise as an observer, not as a Captain, ditto with Sulu, thus the
plethora of brass running around on the bridge.  Then, when Khan hosed
Genesis, the last things on their minds was "Gee, maybe we should change
our uniforms..."  They were probably too busy trying to whip a shipful of
cadets into shape so that they wouldn't fall apart if something along the
lines of a REAL emergency occurred.

--

From the Random Fingers of --

		Ray Chen
		{allegra | ihnp4 | mhuxi}!princeton!down!tilt!chenr

"It's amazing what a thousand monkeys and a few typewriters can accomplish..."