[net.startrek] Klingon Appearances; apparent deviation

popes@tellab1.UUCP (Jerry Pople) (05/18/84)

Why do the Klingons at the beginning of ST 1 look noticeably different
than the Klingons in the TV series?

martillo@ihuxt.UUCP (Yehoyaqim Martillo) (05/18/84)

John Ford's The Final Reflection gives an explanation.

Klingon practice an immense amount of species fusion.  A lot of the
Klingon's are Klingon/Human Klingon/Romulan Klingon/Orionan etc fusions.
The bumpy Klingons are members of the original imperial race.

ron@brl-vgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (05/18/84)

No one has been quite able to explain this except that Jimmy Dohan
at some convention claimed the batch of tribbles he beamed on to their
ship had something to do with it.

At least they don't speak English anymore.

-Ron

cbspt005@abnjh.UUCP (Eric Carter) (05/19/84)

The Klingons were improved in ST-TMP and STIII because the producers
have big budgets to work with and wanted to do it right, instead of
just putting some greasepaint on the actors' faces and calling them
aliens.  In the old TV series' days, they had about $225,000 to do
a weekly episode. ST-TMP cost $42M and required MANY months of work!

Eric Carter
AT&T-IS
S.Plainfield,NJ
{allegra,akgua,ihnp4,whuxle,mhuxl}!abnjh!cbspt005

ericb@dartvax.UUCP (05/19/84)

(does subspace communications have a line eater???)

> From: popes@tellab1.UUCP (Jerry Pople)
> Subject: Klingon Appearances; apparent deviation
>
> Why do the Klingons at the beginning of ST 1 look noticeably different
> than the Klingons in the TV series?

I've heard two rumors about this discreptancy, the first of which is:
  The Klingons underwent a species-wide phenotype change, i.e. induced
  by genetic engineering.
the second is:
  The Klingons in ST1 were the aristocracy of the race, a different
  evolved phenotype (perhaps race difference, perhaps symbiotes?).

I have yet to read The Final Reflection, but it might shed some light
on this question.

Eric Bivona
"Once a gene sequence, always a gene sequence"
UUCP:   ...!{astrovax, cornell, decvax, linus}!dartvax!ericb
CSNET:  ericb@dartmouth
ARPA:   ericb%dartmouth@csnet-relay

barmar@mit-eddie.UUCP (Barry Margolin) (05/19/84)

Why do the Klingons at the beginning of ST 1 look noticeably different
than the Klingons in the TV series?

Did you think that the original Klingons looked very nasty?  I certainly
approve of the change.
--
			Barry Margolin
			ARPA: barmar@MIT-Multics