[net.startrek] Names of Starships

afd@decvax.UUCP (Alan Delorey) (02/27/84)

I was wondering,
From the TV episodes of Startrek can anyone remember the names of other
starships (besides the Enterprise) that were mentioned on the show.
I know of a few: The Lexington, The Excaliber, The Concord?

rtf@ihuxw.UUCP (sparrow) (02/28/84)

<blank line>

There are several names of starships I remember:

	1. The Potempkin
	2. The Constellation
	3. The Intrepid
	4. The Faragant

				sparrow

ralph@inuxc.UUCP (Ralph Keyser) (02/29/84)

The original 14 ships of the heavy cruiser class were:

USS Constitution - NCC-1700 (Class Ship)
USS Enterprise - NCC-1701
USS Farragut - NCC-1702
USS Lexington - NCC-1703
USS Yorktown - NCC-1704
USS Excalibur - NCC-1705
USS Exeter - NCC-1706
USS Hood - NCC-1707
USS Intrepid - NCC-1708
USS Valiant - NCC-1709
USS Kongo - NCC-1710
USS Potemkin - NCC-1711
USS Constellation - NCC-1017
USS Republic - NCC-1371

rjnoe@ihlts.UUCP (Roger Noe) (02/29/84)

U.S.S. Constellation	NCC-1017	destroyed in "The Doomsday Machine"
					last commanded by Commodore Decker
U.S.S. Constitution	NCC-1700	mentioned in "Space Seed"
U.S.S. Defiant		NCC-1764	destroyed in "The Tholian Web"
U.S.S. Enterprise	NCC-1701
U.S.S. Excalibur	NCC-1664	destroyed in "The Ultimate Computer"
					last commanded by Captain Harris
U.S.S. Exeter		NCC-1672	abandoned in "The Omega Glory"
					last commanded by Captain Tracey
U.S.S. Farragut		NCC-1647	mentioned in "Obsession"
					was commanded by Captain Garrovick
					during Lt. Kirk's first assignment
U.S.S. Hood		NCC-1703	featured in "The Ultimate Computer"
U.S.S. Intrepid		NCC-1631	mentioned in "Court-martial"
					destroyed in "The Immunity Syndrome"
U.S.S. Lexington	NCC-1709	featured in "The Ultimate Computer"
					commanded by Commodore Wesley
U.S.S. Potemkin		NCC-1702	featured in "The Ultimate Computer"
					mentioned in "Turnabout Intruder"
U.S.S. Republic		NCC-1373	mentioned in "Court-martial"
U.S.S. Yorktown		NCC-1717	mentioned in "Obsession"

There are other sources which disagree with the list of names, numbers, and
status of each starship of the Constitution (heavy cruiser) class.  The
blueprints and Technical Manual put together by Franz Joseph do not mention
Defiant, do not list Excalibur as destroyed, and added both Kongo and the
Valiant (destroyed).  Also, the numbers are different for all starships
except for Constellation, Constitution, Enterprise, and Republic.  The only
ships named Valiant in "Star Trek" were mentioned in "Where No Man Has Gone
Before" (200 years previous) and "A Taste of Armageddon" (50 years earlier)
but these were not starships of the same class at all.  I believe this dates
back to the original Star Trek Writer's Guide (see the beginning of Part II
of Stephen Whitfield's "The Making of Star Trek") but it's easy to see now
why this other list is discredited.
--
	Roger Noe		ihnp4!ihlts!rjnoe

jlp@inmet.UUCP (03/04/84)

#R:decvax:-39100:inmet:8500017:000:541
inmet!jlp    Feb 29 12:55:00 1984

In "Tomorrow is Yesterday" Kirk mentions that there are only twelve ships
like the Enterprise in the fleet. The other 11 are:

Constellation	( The Doomsday Machine)
Defiant		( The Tholian Web)
Excalibur	( The Ultimate Computer)
Exeter		( The Omega Glory )
Farragut	( Obsession )
Intrepid	( The Immunity Syndrome )
Lexington	( The Ultimate Computer)
Potemkin	( Turnabout Intruder )
Republic	( Court Martial)
Valiant		( A Taste of Armageddon)
Yorktown	( Obsession )

The Organ Keyboard of
Jerryl Payne
{esquire,harpo,decvax!cca!ima}!inmet!jlp

acscmjm@sunybcs.UUCP (Mike Moroney) (03/05/84)

[]

Here are some names from the database of a Star Trek game,
most of which were used in the series.  I do not know if they
all were, however.

1.	Enterprise (of course)	14.	Endeavor
2.	Valient II		15.	Defiance
3.	Lexington		16.	Saratoga
4.	Excalibur		17.	Achernar
5.	Potempkin		18.	Androcus
6.	Excelsior		19.	Mondoloy
7.	Lafayette		20.	Pelione
8.	El Dorado		21.	Za'Faran
9.	Annoban			22.	Procyon
10.	Farragut		23.	Monitor
11.	Yorktown		24.	Xanthii
12.	Intrepid		25.	Samaara
13.	Merrimac

gam@proper.UUCP (Gordon Moffett) (03/06/84)

From: afd@decvax.UUCP (Alan Delorey)

> I was wondering,
> From the TV episodes of Startrek can anyone remember the names of other
> starships (besides the Enterprise) that were mentioned on the show.
> I know of a few: The Lexington, The Excaliber, The Concord?

The StarFleet Technical Manual (SBN 345-24730-2-695) lists what
are apparently the original Starships (called `Heavy Cruiser Class')
as:

Constellation	NCC-1017	Intrepid	NCC-1708
Constitution	NCC-1700	Kongo		NCC-1710
Enterprise	NCC-1701	Lexington	NCC-1703
Exeter		NCC-1706	Potempkin	NCC-1711
Farragut	NCC-1702	Republic	NCC-1371
Hood		NCC-1707	Valiant		NCC-1709
				Yorktown	NCC-1704

It goes on to list others (a few dozen!) which were authorized to
be built at later Stardates, including:

Constellation II NCC-1712	Intrepid II	NCC-1730
Farragut II	NCC-1729	Valiant II	NCC-1731

(Later Starship names show a greater diversity of `ethnic' -- ie,
non-Earth, non-USA -- names).

ron@brl-vgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (03/07/84)

The HOOD was also mentioned in The Ultimate Computer (as well as
two other ships...to total four).  Oh well.  Somewere around is
my 95 cent copy of "The Making of Star Trek" closer to the hearts
of the show implementers.  The Technical Manual is a money grubbing
afterthought so full of inacurracies that I refuse to use it as
a reference.

bruhgraw@uok.UUCP (03/23/84)

#R:decvax:-39100:uok:8400015:000:783
uok!bruhgraw    Mar 23 18:43:00 1984

>>>In "Tomorrow is Yesterday" Kirk mentions that there are only twelve ships
>>>like the Enterprise in the fleet. The other 11 are:
>>>
>>>Constellation	( The Doomsday Machine)
>>>Defiant		( The Tholian Web)
>>>Excalibur		( The Ultimate Computer)
>>>Exeter		( The Omega Glory )
>>>Farragut		( Obsession )
>>>Intrepid		( The Immunity Syndrome )
>>>Lexington		( The Ultimate Computer)
>>>Potemkin		( Turnabout Intruder )
>>>Republic		( Court Martial)
>>>Valiant		( A Taste of Armageddon)
>>>Yorktown		( Obsession )

What about the Hood?  It was in "The Ultimate Computer" (we actually saw it).
I'm not sure the Defiant was actually a Heavy Cruiser; it might have been a
Light Cruiser (ha).

The Exeter wasn't really destroyed, was it?  They could have decontaminated
it, or some such.

lab@qubix.UUCP (05/19/84)

->>>In "Tomorrow is Yesterday" Kirk mentions that there are only twelve ships
->>>like the Enterprise in the fleet. The other 11 are:
->>>
->>>Constellation	( The Doomsday Machine)
->>>Defiant		( The Tholian Web)
->>>Excalibur		( The Ultimate Computer)
->>>Exeter		( The Omega Glory )
->>>Farragut		( Obsession )
->>>Intrepid		( The Immunity Syndrome )
->>>Lexington		( The Ultimate Computer)
->>>Potemkin		( Turnabout Intruder )
->>>Republic		( Court Martial)
->>>Valiant		( A Taste of Armageddon)
->>>Yorktown		( Obsession )

-What about the Hood?  It was in "The Ultimate Computer" (we actually saw it).
-I'm not sure the Defiant was actually a Heavy Cruiser; it might have been a
-Light Cruiser (ha).

-The Exeter wasn't really destroyed, was it?  They could have decontaminated
-it, or some such.

TILT! The Constellation was NOT of the Enterprise class - check the Tech
Manuals and particularly the registration number! Also, Potemkin was in the
Ultimate Computer (part of Wesley's 4-ship group),
rather than Turnabout Intruder.

For you trivia buffs, name the two ships that supposedly sent SOS
messages to the Enterprise in "Friday's Child" (wherein McCoy said "I'm
a doctor, not an elevator!").
--
			The Ice Floe of Larry Bickford
			{decvax,ihnp4,allegra,ucbvax}!{decwrl,sun}!qubix!lab

smw@tilt.UUCP (Stewart Wiener) (05/20/84)

> From: lab@qubix.UUCP (Q-Bick)
> ->>>Constellation	( The Doomsday Machine)
> TILT! The Constellation was NOT of the Enterprise class - check the Tech
> Manuals and particularly the registration number! Also, Potemkin was in the
> Ultimate Computer (part of Wesley's 4-ship group),
> rather than Turnabout Intruder.

Site tilt speaking!  (You rang?)  The Constellation, like the Enterprise, is
a Constitution-class ship.  The fact that they used the Enterprise miniatures
and interiors in filming "Doomsday Machine" scenes of the Constellation should
be proof enough of that.
--
	  Stewart Wiener / Princeton Univ. EECS / princeton!tilt!smw
Graduating & seeking work... can YOUR site use an entry-level Unix programmer?

ron@brl-vgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (05/24/84)

Don't believe the Technical Manual as the bible.  It's got more errors
in it than an early Mets game.

-Ron

rcook@uiucuxc.UUCP (05/28/84)

#R:decvax:-39100:uiucuxc:19800008:000:112
uiucuxc!rcook    May 28 11:32:00 1984

Is the Reliant (ST:TWOK) in the same class as the Enterprise??
It seemed to do a pretty good amount of damage.