[net.startrek] NOT !!! a Start Trek III question.

naiman@pegasus.UUCP (06/15/84)

I just saw the episode The Ultimate Computer with M5 and a question occurred
to me.

After M5's first test Captain Wesley sends regards to Captain Dunsel.
If you recall, Kirk got very upset and left the bridge.
Under the circumstances that's understandable since what Wesley said
was not very nice.  What I don't understand is why did Wesley say that ?
After all, if M5 was a success he would be replaced too, wouldn't he ?
--
==> Ephrayim J. Naiman @ AT&T Information Systems Laboratories (201) 576-6259
Paths: [ihnp4, allegra, ...]!pegasus!naiman

okie@ihuxs.UUCP (B.K. Cobb) (06/15/84)

Wesley's remark about "Captain Dunsel" could have resulted
from the following:

	-  it could have been a joke (though not a very
	   funny one from Kirk's point of view)

	-  Wesley could have been "in competition" with
	   Kirk for the M5 trial, and was getting some
	   of his own back

	-  Wesley might not have realized just what he
	   was saying; the irony might have hit him later
	   (about the time the Enterprise did!)

Comments?

B.K. Cobb
ihnp4!ihuxs!okie

"I'm a doctor, not a hacker!"

jonab@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Jonathan Biggar) (06/16/84)

In article <1421@pegasus.UUCP> naiman@pegasus.UUCP writes:
>I just saw the episode The Ultimate Computer with M5 and a question occurred
>to me.
>
>After M5's first test Captain Wesley sends regards to Captain Dunsel.
>If you recall, Kirk got very upset and left the bridge.
>Under the circumstances that's understandable since what Wesley said
>was not very nice.  What I don't understand is why did Wesley say that ?
>After all, if M5 was a success he would be replaced too, wouldn't he ?

Probably just a sarcastic reaction to the fact that Wesley believed
he would be replaced.

Jon Biggar
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdccsu3}!sdcrdcf!jonab

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (06/16/84)

{  No computer stands in my way...  }

Possibly.  However, wasn't Captain Wesley in charge of the program
to test M5?  Well, I don't think that, after putting him in charge
of testing this silly machine, they would stick him back on a
starship.

Nope.  Wesley was being groomed for Commodoreship, I think.