[net.music] Bassist for now defunct Magazine

Cooper.SBDERX@XEROX.ARPA (04/23/85)

The bassist for Magazine throughout their existence was indeed Barry
Adamson. He also played on the first 2 Visage albums, although not
officially a member of the band. The second of those albums was recorded
the same year Magazine split (1981), and I haven't heard anything of him
since then.

Anyone know the whereabouts of any of the other ex-members of Magazine?
They were Howard Devoto (vocals), Dave Formula (keyboards), John McGeoch
(guitar) and John Doyle (drums). I know Dave and John M joined Visage
for the first 2 albums, and John M also played with Siouxsie & The
Banshees for a time.

	Martin.

"We must not be frail
 We must watch"

allynh@ucbvax.ARPA (Allyn Hardyck) (05/07/85)

In article <10153@brl-tgr.ARPA> Cooper.SBDERX@XEROX.ARPA writes:

>Anyone know the whereabouts of any of the other ex-members of Magazine?
>They were Howard Devoto (vocals), Dave Formula (keyboards), John McGeoch
>(guitar) and John Doyle (drums). I know Dave and John M joined Visage
>for the first 2 albums, and John M also played with Siouxsie & The
>Banshees for a time.

Howard Devoto released a solo album on IRS last year, "Jerky Versions of
the Dream" - got some airplay on the usual stations.

Barry Adamson has done some studio work with Pete Shelley with whom Devoto
was in the Buzzcocks.

John McGeoch was in the Banshees for about two years, left and was replaced
by Robert Smith of the Cure.  Smith left about a year ago to start up an
expanded Cure - I forget who replaced him.  McGeoch is now in the Armoury
Show with Richard Jobson (ex-Skids) and Russell Webb (who I think was
also in Magazine).  The Skids were a proto-punk turned artso band from
Dunfermline, Scotland that also featured Stuart Adamson.
--
			It's the damage that we do and never know,
			it's the words that we don't say that scare me so...

							Allyn Hardyck
							..!ucbvax!allynh
							allynh@ucbvax.ARPA

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Arthur Pewtey) (05/08/85)

> Barry Adamson has done some studio work with Pete Shelley with whom Devoto
> was in the Buzzcocks.
>
> John McGeoch was in the Banshees for about two years, left and was replaced
> by Robert Smith of the Cure.  Smith left about a year ago to start up an
> expanded Cure - I forget who replaced him.  McGeoch is now in the Armoury
> Show with Richard Jobson (ex-Skids) and Russell Webb (who I think was
> also in Magazine).  The Skids were a proto-punk turned artso band from
> Dunfermline, Scotland that also featured Stuart Adamson.  [ALLYN HARDYCK]

I believe Russell Webb is the brother of Gary Numan (nee Webb).  He appeared
on some Numan work (incl. the single with Satie's Trois Gymnopedies).  Is
Stuart Adamson the one who's now in Big Country?  Please tell me more about
Armoury (style, opinions, reviews, etc.).
--
"If you offend everybody, you're doing a good job." --David Steinberg on the
							subject of satire