[net.startrek] Orphaned Response - Jim Kirk

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (06/22/84)

{  Transwarp?  Bleah  }

I must agree.  Trans-warp is pretty tacky, I think.

In David Gerrold's book on Star Trek in a quick section on "The Future
of Star Trek" Gene Roddenberry says that NBC was interested in bringing
back an "updated" Star Trek for a little while and wanted to redesign
the ship.  Roddenberry pointed out that this was rather silly.  How
would you redesign a ship that uses matter-antimatter, etcetera, etcetera.

Basically, the only reason NBC wanted to redesign the ship is to put in
something new.  Period.

Same thing here with the warp drive.  There's no real reason to redesign
it, that I can see.  If the say it uses too much power, they are being
rather silly.  Too slow?  Well, since we never got any real idea as to
how fast it is, anyway, who cares?  It seems to be just as fast as
necessary.

The Excelsior's bridge did remind me of the television series much
more than the current bridge does.  It also seemed a bit bigger and
more roomy.  I think, though, they wll come up with another design for
Enterprise II.  The Excelsior seems, as you said, to be a bit of a
bathtub, but it looked good for it's purpose in STIII: To fall apart.

Again, however, I maintain that Jim Kirk better get his ass kicked
but good!  Someone sent me note (I discard my mail so I don't keep
track of who sent what) that everything turned out okay, so they'll
let Jim off because he did manage to save the day.  I agree that
they probably will.  After all, STIV: Jim Goes To Prison would be
a pretty dull movie.  But they better have a trial and all.  No,
I don't want to see Jim stuck in prison for the next six movies
either.  I do want to see, though, that 23rd century justice still
exists.
--
"Guilty!  Guilty!  Guilty!"                                  Peter Merchant
         -- Marvelous Mark

barmar@mit-eddie.UUCP (Barry Margolin) (07/02/84)

In article <1904@dartvax.UUCP> merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) writes:
>Too slow?  Well, since we never got any real idea as to
>how fast it is, anyway, who cares?  It seems to be just as fast as
>necessary.
>         -- Marvelous Mark

I think that the novelization mentioned something about an expedition
that had recently reached the Andromeda galaxy.
--
			Barry Margolin
			ARPA: barmar@MIT-Multics