[net.startrek] Ellison

wix@bergil.DEC (Jack Wickwire) (08/03/84)

From:	MONTY::KL2137::DYER-BENNET.DEAN 	"Pamela Dyer-Bennet"   30-JUL-1984 21:16
To:	BERGIL::WIX
Subj:	here's another one....

	-----	Delivered by TOPS-20 Message Services	---
Date: 30 Jul 1984 2112-EDT
From: Pamela Dyer-Bennet <DYER-BENNET.DEAN at KL2137>
To: WIX at BERGIL
Subject: here's another one....

Subject:  Review of STIII in F&SF

In case anybody's interested, there's a review of "The Search
for Spock" in the September issue of *The Magazine of Fantasy
and Science Fiction*.  For some reason, I take reviews therein
more seriously than reviews elsewhere.  Harlan Ellison has
just started doing their movie reviews.  I half expected him
to tear the movie apart, that seeming to be his usual style.
He takes a rather odd attitude.  At the beginning and end
of his remarks, he says, "Both the most and the least a
responsible film critic can say is that the third *Star
Trek* movie is out, and Trek fans will love it."  He
disparages the entire Star Trek fan phenomenon, saying
it takes ST movies out of the realm of "Film, or Story,
or even Art".  Having absolved himself of the necessity
of saying anything, he then praises Nimoy's directing,
Christopher Lloyd's Klingon character, the sets on the
Genesis planet, and the Klingon ship; and then accuses
William Shatner of scene-hogging (!?!), dismisses Robin
Curtis (can't blame him for that), and remarks that the
plot makes no sense if examined closely.  I'd expected
either better or worse, but not this.

Does ANYBODY outside of ST fandom take the ST movies
seriously?

-------
PDDB
   --------