[net.startrek] Immunity Syndrome?

swc@cbscc.UUCP (Scott W. Collins) (08/09/84)

 .

(I think that is the name of the episode).

The Enterprise was being drained of all her power by the "single-celled
organism".  How is it that as soon as the thing was destroyed, power
seemed to be restored immediately on the ship (and the shuttlecraft where
Spock was dying due to no life-support system capability.  How does
restored power help him breath/live? I suppose it would restore cabin
pressure and recycle the CO(2) ).  The ship was "keeping her distance"
which appeared to be the source of the drain. Maybe the dilithium (sp?)
crystals are magic.

Scott W. Collins
ATT - Bell Labs

bsa@ncoast.UUCP (The WITNESS) (08/16/84)

[The world is a Klein bottle]

> From: swc@cbscc.UUCP (Scott W. Collins)

> The Enterprise was being drained of all her power by the "single-celled
> organism".  How is it that as soon as the thing was destroyed, power
> seemed to be restored immediately on the ship (and the shuttlecraft where
> Spock was dying due to no life-support system capability.  How does
> restored power help him breath/live? I suppose it would restore cabin
> pressure and recycle the CO(2) ).  The ship was "keeping her distance"
> which appeared to be the source of the drain. Maybe the dilithium (sp?)
> crystals are magic.

I got the impression that the giant amoeba was either blocking or absorbing
(probably the latter) energy before ship's systems could get it; once it died,
nothing was absorbing/blocking ship's power and all systems immediately reco-
vered.  Not impossible; how do WE know how that doggone amoeba metabolized?

--bsa
--
      Brandon Allbery: decvax!cwruecmp{!atvax}!bsa: R0176@CSUOHIO.BITNET
					       ^ Note name change!

"The more they overthink the plumbin', the easier 'tis tae stop up the drain."