[net.startrek] Respnses to Chris Wayne

boyajian@akov68.DEC (Jerry Boyajian) (09/21/84)

>      About her first name, I know of "Penda" & "Nyota".  As to which is
> "official" if either, who knows?  What's wrong with "Penda" being her first
> name and "Nyota" being her middle?  This would be kind of like how Sulu got
> his name of Walter Hikuro Sulu.

Until I read this, I'd never seen any reference to Uhura having the first name
"Penda" or Sulu having the first name "Walter". Where did these names come from?
And by the way, it's "Hikaru".

>>Subject: Re: Aging affect of Genesis
>>From: iuzzolin@unmvax.UUCP (Carlyn Iuzzolino)
>>Date: Wed, 4-Jul-84 10:27:15 MDT
>>
>>While on Genesis you remember that Spock aged faster than normal, but if
>>he did, wouldn't Saavak age too?
>>	       Terri
>

>     The landing party could probably spend a limited amount of time on the
> planet before they absolutely had to return to the ship.  Plus, the later a
> substance is introduced into the matrix, the slower it ages.  When the proto-
> matter radiation wave levels are zero, then normal aging takes over.

Spock's aging had nothing to do with the proto-matter radiation levels in the
environment. The reason Spock aged was the same as the reason the Genesis planet
itself was aging, because the Genesis Effect had altered the physical pattern
of his body. Saavik, or the others for that matter, didn't age because their
bodies were not "reconstructed" by the Effect.

>     Ah ha! I've found them.  Shortly after STII came out I wrote down my first
> impressions, later they disappeared.  I'm sending them over the net for
> discussion and/or answering.  Some of them I have forgotten the reason for
> writing them down in the first place, but there might be something of interest
> in this group.

> - When Chekov and Terrell land on Ceti Alpha V, is that part of the "Guardian"
>   from the old set(CEF) that is seen on the right?

What old set? The sets from the original series have long since been taken down.

> - Chekov not on Space Seed.

This bothered me at first, and though I resisted for a while, I was finally won
over by the argument that just because he wasn't bridge crew doesn't mean that
Chekov wasn't on the *Enterprise* at the time. Is there a good reason why not?

> - All that seems to be left of the Botany Bay is the cargo containers.
>
> - The one they enter is on its side ("seat belts" on wall), but "max load"
>   sign is right side up.

Those weren't part of the *Botany Bay*; they were cargo containers from the
*Enterprise*. And why do you assume that those were "seat belts"? They could
well have been restraining straps (or seat belts used as restraining straps).

> - Marking on wall on the left on the outside of the elevator is a "4" inside a
>   box above a "5" inside a box.  What does that mean?

Level 4, Section 5? Section 4, Level 5?

> - Some of Khan's people look younger than those in (SS), but older than 15yrs.

This bothered me more than anything else in the whole movie. Joaquim is shown in
"Space Seed" as an older (~40? - same age as Khan, anyway), dark-haired man. How
he turned into an early-20's, fair-haired youth is beyond me. All of the others
should have been equally as old. I think this is another case of Hollywood going
for the "youthful look".

> - When Khan came-on-screen for first time, there was no scream from Uhura or
>   the yeoman.
>
> - Uhura does not gasp when peter is brought up.

While I don't wish to come out with a knee-jerk cry of "SEXIST!", these comments
strike me as such. Why do you feel that Uhura (but no one else) should have
gasped when Scotty brought Peter to the bridge? Why should Uhura or the yeoman
scream (but no one else) when Khan came on-screen? Is it maybe that it's the
women's place to scream or gasp, but not the men's?

> - Spock tells McCoy (mind meld) "remember".  Remember what?

The Maine? The Alamo? The kind of September when life was fun and oh! so mellow?

(I had to leave off with a smile...)

Oh! This reminds me...I think I know what STAR TREK IV will be about!!
It'll be a sequel to "Requiem for Methusaleh", hinging upon Spock's last words
in that episode, as he mind-melded with Kirk:

"Forget..."

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA