[net.startrek] starship cameras

csdeptaa@unm-cvax.UUCP (09/24/84)

>Subject: Re: Cameras on the Ship
>From: iuzzolin@unmvax.UUCP (Carlyn Iuzzolino)
>Date: Wed, 4-Jul-84 10:14:31 MDT

>In the Show the Menagerie ? where Spock 'showed' the movies, if you remember
>they were actually transmissions or something like that, but in another Show
>( The one where Kirk is being blamed for the death of someone who is trying
>  to frame him ) the person fooled around with the recordings of Kirk pressing
>the buttons.  Therefore you could imagin there being cameras everywhere on the
>ship ( or could you? ).
>			  terri

     I really don't think cameras are used, at least not in the sense we think
of.  It is more likely part of the ships sensors, a passive internal sensor/
scanner recording device.  All places and events onboard are not recorded
because it is simply a waste of time and energy.  Only key areas (bridge,
engineering, etc.) and other places in emergencies are scanned around the clock.
Unauthorized scanning is, under most circumstances, illegal and prosecutable.
Privatcy is still regarded very highly, yet when violated, is not always that
big of a deal.

     Of course, between the Klingons monitoring themselves all the time and
use of the Tantalus Field, there are always exceptions to the above rule.

                         Chris Wayne @ UNM