[net.startrek] DC Loves KA! -- and so does smw

smw@sjuvax.UUCP (Stewart Wiener) (10/09/84)

> From: rjnoe@ihlts.UUCP (Roger Noe)

> These two statements are at odds.  Why do people want a pretty Saavik?
> The very idea seems contradictory to me.  She's a half-Romulan, half-Vulcan
> who spent her childhood as something of an animal.  WHY would she be pretty?
> HOW could she? ... Could it be Stewart has a crush on Saavik? ... Naaaah! :-)

You guessed it, Roger, I sure do!  But only on Kirstie's Saavik.  The following
is not an original observation:  Robin Curtis' Saavik is bitchy ("Just like
your father"), holier-than-thou (the scenes on Genesis), and entirely lacking
any smoldering Romulan fire beneath her Vulcan facade (deadpan:  "David is
dead.")

Kirstie Alley, apart from her looks (and hey, why can't a wild street urchin
look good once she's cleaned up?  There's no reason to think either parent
was particularly malformed), brought her fannish background to the role...
she KNEW what Vulcans and Romulans are.  Robin was directed by-the-numbers,
and I think Nimoy is partly to blame for her uninteresting and insipid
performance.

I'm not really too fond of Kirstie Alley as a performer -- she should have
made salary concessions for ST III, and she was lackluster in the TV show
"Masquerade" -- but her Saavik was a character with a lot of depth, and
she stole every scene she appeared in.  Of course, the character Saavik
still has the same depth, but you'd never know it from Curtis' performance.
Curtis is just another Vulcan; she might as well be a robot, because we
never see the conflict within her.

So, ye-e-es, I do kind of have a crush on Saavik.  But when I slavered over
the first chapters of Vonda's trashy novelization, it sure wasn't Robin
Curtis I was picturing.  Oh, wow, imagine tracing the upswept curve of her
ears with caressing lips, one hand low on her side atop her pounding heart...
Saavik, oh Saavik, I'm yours, I'm yours!

(Gee, when the ladies wrote Spock porn, it was considered classic fan
literature...  Anybody heard of "Grup," or "Spock Enslaved"?)
--
	Stewart Wiener / St. Joseph's University / allegra!sjuvax!smw