[net.startrek] A Rough Life For Mr. Spock

raskin@yale.ARPA (Andrew L. Raskin) (10/24/84)

Is there any character in any series that has been abused more than Mr. Spock?
Just think about it -- he's had it pretty rough.  My friends and I were able
to come up with the following list in just a few minutes of the agonies Spock
has endured over the years.  Please post any we've left out!  He has

- been hit by poisonous spores twice
- had his back seared by lightning
- been attacked by a jello mold (lasagna, desert tray or whatever you think
				 that thing looked like)
- been blinded
- had his brain removed and replaced
- been made to laugh
- been made to cry
- been whipped
- been killed by radiation and rejuvenated

I hope he lives long because he hasn't exactly prospered yet.

(I'm new to the net so I hope this works...)

				 Andy (..!decvax!yale!raskin)

   "You remember, Captain, the science lab Christmas party..."

barnett@ut-sally.UUCP (Lewis Barnett) (10/24/84)

[ Contact StarFleet, Uhura...]
In addition to the cited trials and tribulations, a couple immediately spring
to mind:

	- He was suspected of being a Romulan Spy (Balance of Terror)
	- Had aspersions cast upon his ancestry on numerous occasions
	  (This Side of Paradise) (What are Little Girls Made of?)
	- Been forced to perform the very personal and private mind
	  meld on *humans* on occasions too numerous to list
	- Gone temporarily insane after viewing the Medusan ambassador
	  without the protective goggles (Is there in Truth No Beauty)
	- Endured mental probes which "you would not have survived,
	  Captain." (Errand of Mercy, and perhaps others)

That's all that comes immediately to mind, though I'm sure there are others.

Lewis Barnett,CS Dept, Painter Hall 3.28, Univ. of Texas, Austin, TX 78712

-- barnett@ut-sally.ARPA, barnett@ut-sally.UUCP,
      {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!barnett

smithku@stolaf.UUCP (Karla U. Smith) (10/25/84)

Yes, the poor guy!! Have you ever noticed how the common antidote
to any of his problems seems to be a sound slap across the face
from a slaphappy Kirk?  I offer proof:
.pp
In "The Naked Time" the crew is infected by some disease that
brings out their innermost hangups/desires/fears. Spock starts
crying because he could never express his emotions, and ducks into
a briefing room. Kirk finds him, and after a little conversation,
starts slapping him up.(presumably to get him to come to his
senses, shake off the effects of the disease, and save the
ship.) I suppose the slapping was necessary to transmit the disease
to Kirk, because if slapping was a valid antidote, they could
have done the same thing they did in " This Side of Paradise"

--
>Insidious Diversity in Incongruous Combinations<

                  K*A*R*L*A
             {decvax|ihnp4}!stolaf!agnes!smithku

cmaz504@ut-ngp.UUCP (Steve Alexander) (10/26/84)

Let's not forget that in Journey to Babel his mother hauls off and gives
him a good slap or two.

jpm@ptsfc.UUCP (Jim Moore) (10/27/84)

> Is there any character in any series that has been abused more than Mr. Spock?

I doubt it.  He has also been:

	- shot in the back by a flintlock ("A Private Little War")
	- Slapped HARD back to consciousness following the above...
	- Placed on trial for MUTINY (not to mention the capitol
		offense for taking the Enterprise to Talos IV)
	- Left for dead in a giant single-celled *creature* ("The
		Immunity Syndrome") ("Tell Dr. McCoy .. He would not
		have survived it.")
	- forced to face "Pon Far" (sp?) while LightYears from home
		with little hope of getting there ("Amok Time")

   AND more recently ...

	- Has failed to achieve the greatest persuit of his people
		(The Kholinar)
	- Practically burned up his neural system in a mind meld
		with VGER
	- Killed (simulated, but killed just the same) on the Bridge
		of the *Training Simulator* Enterprise ("Aren't you
		DEAD?")
	- and of course forced thru "Pon Far" (sp??) AGAIN with that
		fake Saavik (I liked Kirstie Alley's Saavik much better)

That's all I can remember that haven't already been mentioned here .. and
there have been quite a few!!
--

     Jim Moore
     dual!ptsfa!ptsfc!jpm

REMEMBER - "Things are only as bad as they are
            and can only get worse if they do!" - James P. Moore

zubbie@wlcrjs.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) (11/03/84)

In article <5724@yale.ARPA> raskin@yale.ARPA (Andrew L. Raskin) writes:
>Is there any character in any series that has been abused more than Mr. Spock?
>- been killed by radiation and rejuvenated

*- been transported thru time to a point before vulcan was logical

>-
>I hope he lives long because he hasn't exactly prospered yet.
>

>   "What do you make of it Bones ?"
>-	"Jim! Something has disrupted every cell in the brain"
>   "We'll have to impose an immeadiate rationing of Net.Startrek"

Jeanette Zobjeck
wlcrjs!zubbie