[net.startrek] Phasers and Deflectors

drennan@nybcb.UUCP (drennan) (11/12/84)

[ a sprinkling of boric acid ]

> 	One other inconsistency associated with phasers.  We saw several
> times (in "Arena" [with the Gorn] for example) that one cannot beam up or
> down with the deflectors up.  Deflectors also stop phasers.  So how does
> Enterprise fire phasers when the screens are up???
> 	Sorry for harping on this, but my area of research is laser-induced
> chemistry.
>
> 				George Raiche
> 				Dept. of Chemistry
> 				Dartmouth
>
> 				"Let's get the hell out of here."

	Perhaps the deflectors are timed in such a way that the very
portion that the phaser will be firing through at a given time is dropped
for the duration of the blast.  If small portions of the screens could be
selectively dropped, this sort of timing would be a simple thing to do.
I would be analogous to the way World War I fighters planes had their guns
timed so the bullets wouldn't hit the spinning propellor.
	But this just brought up another question in my mind.  A shot to
this area where the shields were dropped would hit the phaser beam.  What
would happen then?  What is the effect of colliding phasers?

						Jim Drennan
						New York Blood Center
						..seismo!cmcl2!nybcb!drennan

			"Damn it, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!"

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong, Computing Services) (11/13/84)

This could be minimized by choosing the points to lower the deflectors
by some random scheme.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu
POST:  Department of Computing Services
       University of Waterloo
       Waterloo, ON
       N2L 3G1 (519)886-4733 x3524

disc@houxz.UUCP (S.BERRY) (11/14/84)

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall a
difference between deflectors and shields (Shields being
another "level" of protection over deflectors).  The main
source for this seems to be WoK--the scene where Reliant
approaches Enterprise.  Anybody want to confirm, either from
the movies or series?

Naturally, this would have some bearing on the question at hand.

			SJBerry

frdish@aecom.UUCP (11/14/84)

> [ a sprinkling of boric acid ]
>
> > 	One other inconsistency associated with phasers.  We saw several
> > times (in "Arena" [with the Gorn] for example) that one cannot beam up or
> > down with the deflectors up.  Deflectors also stop phasers.  So how does
> > Enterprise fire phasers when the screens are up???
> > 	Sorry for harping on this, but my area of research is laser-induced
> > chemistry.
> >
> > 				George Raiche
> > 				Dept. of Chemistry
> > 				Dartmouth
> >
> > 				"Let's get the hell out of here."
>

> 	Perhaps the deflectors are timed in such a way that the very
> portion that the phaser will be firing through at a given time is dropped
> for the duration of the blast.  If small portions of the screens could be
> selectively dropped, this sort of timing would be a simple thing to do.
> I would be analogous to the way World War I fighters planes had their guns
> timed so the bullets wouldn't hit the spinning propellor.
> 	But this just brought up another question in my mind.  A shot to
> this area where the shields were dropped would hit the phaser beam.  What
> would happen then?  What is the effect of colliding phasers?
>
> 						Jim Drennan
> 						New York Blood Center
> 						..seismo!cmcl2!nybcb!drennan
>

> 			"Damn it, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!"

assuming what Jim says is true, wouldn't the same be true of a transporter
beam? just drop shields where the transporter beam is to go through. any
ideas about that?
--

		"It's either believe that, or else believe we're
		 only characters in a series of stories being

Larry Freund
UUCP: {cucard,philabs,pegasus,esquire,rocky2,ihnp4}!aecom!frdish

ron@wjvax.UUCP (Ron Christian) (11/16/84)

()
Hey!  How about this:  The shield DROPS completely when the
phaser is fired, but the process is pulsed according to a
random number sequence.  You don't have to worry about generating
discontinuities in the shield to fire phasers through that
way.  The enemy must pulse his shield/phasers in a completely
different random pattern to make the shield effective.  Since
the chance of timing intersection (energy leak?) is (hopefully)
small, the two ships have to count on wearing each other's
shields down.

Another thing:  I THINK I remember from somewhere that there
are banks of 'shields', not a single shield that covers the
whole ship.  So the ship is potentially only vulnerable at the
shield it's firing through.

Does this make sense?
--

  "Where can you find			Ron Christian
a stale work environment		Watkins-Johnson Co.

schmidt@reed.UUCP (Alan Schmidt) (11/21/84)

> > 	One other inconsistency associated with phasers.  We saw several
> > times (in "Arena" [with the Gorn] for example) that one cannot beam up or
> > down with the deflectors up.  Deflectors also stop phasers.  So how does
> > Enterprise fire phasers when the screens are up???
> > 	Sorry for harping on this, but my area of research is laser-induced
> > chemistry.
> >
> > 				George Raiche
> > 				Dept. of Chemistry
> > 				Dartmouth
> >
> > 				"Let's get the hell out of here."

	How about this:  The shield is selectively dropped before the
phasers to allow firing (the rest of the shields stay in place).
Furthermore, there is interference from the shields such that the phaser
beam is scattered somewhat.  This decreases its efficiency to a small
degree, but this is in favor of defending the ship.  Theoretically, the
transporter beam could be OPERATED, but the interference from the
shields would scramble the molecules of the people/things in the beam to
a great enough degree that they could not be rematerialized correctly.

				Humbly,
				-- Alan
				!tektronix!reed!schmidt

msj@gitpyr.UUCP (Mike St. Johns) (11/27/84)

In article <> schmidt@reed.UUCP (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:
>> > 	One other inconsistency associated with phasers.  We saw several
>> > times (in "Arena" [with the Gorn] for example) that one cannot beam up or
>> > down with the deflectors up.  Deflectors also stop phasers.  So how does
>> > Enterprise fire phasers when the screens are up???
>> > 	Sorry for harping on this, but my area of research is laser-induced
>> > chemistry.
>> >
>> > 				George Raiche
>> > 				Dept. of Chemistry
>> > 				Dartmouth
>> >
>> > 				"Let's get the hell out of here."
>
>	How about this:  The shield is selectively dropped before the
>phasers to allow firing (the rest of the shields stay in place).
>Furthermore, there is interference from the shields such that the phaser
>beam is scattered somewhat.  This decreases its efficiency to a small
>degree, but this is in favor of defending the ship.  Theoretically, the
>transporter beam could be OPERATED, but the interference from the
>shields would scramble the molecules of the people/things in the beam to
>a great enough degree that they could not be rematerialized correctly.
>
>				Humbly,
>				-- Alan
>				!tektronix!reed!schmidt

Phasers are fired the same way it was possible for the aviators of old to
fire through their propellers.  The phasers are synchronized with the
deflectors. The shields are never dropped, they are fired THROUGH.

And yes it WAS possible for the transporters to be used through the
deflectors at one time.  See "The Final Reflection" by John Ford for
details.  With proper handling, it was possible to synchronize the
transporter beam with the shields and actually beam through the screens.
Being as it was the Klingons who discovered this, the Federation promptly
figured out a way of preventing it.  Actually, it might still be possible to
beam down through the screens, but would you chance your life to the fact
that a sudden hit on the screens ANYWHERE might throw the synchronization
off and scramble you in the process?
--
Mike St. Johns
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!msj