[net.startrek] Was Kirk ever cured?

ben@moncol.UUCP (Bennett Broder) (01/24/85)

I was watching the episode 'Elaan of Troyius' last night, and noticed
that Kirk was never cured of the curse of the Elaasian tears.  A co-
worker of mine thinks he remembers that Bones came up with a cure at
the end of the show.  Is my co-worker wrong, or did the hatchet man
at WPIX television leave this important part of the plot lying on the
editing room floor?

                                         Ben Broder
                                         ..vax135!petsd!moncol!ben
                                         ..priceton!moncol!ben

okie@ihuxi.UUCP (B.K. Cobb) (01/25/85)

As I recall, Bones bursts in with the news that
he's found a cure to those tears after the incident
with the Klingon ship.  Spock kindly informs him
that he's already been cured -- by the Enterprise.
Having not seen this episode in quite a while, this
may not be totally accurate, but that's how I remember
it.

B.K.Cobb
ihnp4!ihuxi!okie

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (01/25/85)

In article <167@moncol.UUCP> ben@moncol.UUCP (Bennett Broder) writes:
>I was watching the episode 'Elaan of Troyius' last night, and noticed
>that Kirk was never cured of the curse of the Elaasian tears.  A co-
>worker of mine thinks he remembers that Bones came up with a cure at
>the end of the show.  Is my co-worker wrong, or did the hatchet man
>at WPIX television leave this important part of the plot lying on the
>editing room floor?
>
>                                         Ben Broder
>                                         ..vax135!petsd!moncol!ben
>                                         ..priceton!moncol!ben

Yes, but Spock says something to the effect that Kirk has found his own
cure, implying the Enterprise.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

terryl@tekcrl.UUCP () (01/26/85)

     Yes, at the end Bones did find a cure to the tears, but didn't need if
for Kirk because Kirk was already cured by his devotion to the enterprise(or
some such nonsense).

schmidt@reed.UUCP (Alan Schmidt) (01/26/85)

> I was watching the episode 'Elaan of Troyius' last night, and noticed
> that Kirk was never cured of the curse of the Elaasian tears.  A co-
> worker of mine thinks he remembers that Bones came up with a cure at
> the end of the show.  Is my co-worker wrong, or did the hatchet man
> at WPIX television leave this important part of the plot lying on the
> editing room floor?

     As it turned out, Kirk did not need Bones' cure because the
Enterprise cured him first (a fetish is a fetish, I guess, though I'd
LOVE to know exactly what he did to ease the tension).  If it was
edited, it was edited after the last time I saw it.

Alan
..tektronix!reed!schmidt

dillon@ucbvax.ARPA (The Sherif "Matt D.") (01/27/85)

> I was watching the episode 'Elaan of Troyius' last night, and noticed
> that Kirk was never cured of the curse of the Elaasian tears.  A co-
> worker of mine thinks he remembers that Bones came up with a cure at
> the end of the show.  Is my co-worker wrong, or did the hatchet man
> at WPIX television leave this important part of the plot lying on the
> editing room floor?

	Bones comes onto the bridge at the end of the episode and thinks
he has found an antidote to Elaasian tears.  Spock points out that Kirk is
already completely cured... The only she Kirk REALLY loves is the Enterprise.

	Looks like they edited out something important.

raskin@yale.ARPA (Andy Raskin) (01/27/85)

In the end of Elaan of Troyus there is an implication that Spock uses the mind
meld to remove the love for the Doman (sp?) from Kirk's mind.  I saw the episode
the other night on channel 11 and they definitely put the ax to it.  WPIX has
been really bad about this in recent years.  One of the worst cuts is in Court
Martial where the computer spews out all of Kirk's commendations and the
tribunal stops it in the interests of time.  Apparently, the hatchetman didn't
want to hear it either.

					    Andy Raskin
					    ...decvax!yale!raskin

"There is a multi-legged creature crawling on your shoulder..."

boyajian@akov68.DEC (Jerry Boyajian) (01/29/85)

> From:	yale!raskin	(Andy Raskin)

> In the end of Elaan of Troyus there is an implication that Spock uses the mind
> meld to remove the love for the Doman (sp?) from Kirk's mind.

You're mixing up two different episodes. It was in "Requiem for Methuselah"
that Spock melded with Kirk to help him forget whatsherface (the android).

Since THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK hinged upon Spock's meld with McCoy: "Remember!"
I figure that STAR TREK IV should be a sequel to "Requiem", and hinge upon
Spock's meld with Kirk: "Forget!"

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

zubbie@ihlpa.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) (01/29/85)

> I was watching the episode 'Elaan of Troyius' last night, and noticed
> that Kirk was never cured of the curse of the Elaasian tears.  A co-
> worker of mine thinks he remembers that Bones came up with a cure at
> the end of the show.  Is my co-worker wrong, or did the hatchet man
> at WPIX television leave this important part of the plot lying on the
> editing room floor?
>
>                                          Ben Broder
>                                          ..vax135!petsd!moncol!ben
>                                          ..priceton!moncol!ben

*** HELP I AM BEING REPLACED BY THIS LINE ***

As I recall the episode Jim wsa cured by his first great
love -----   The Enterprise  ------ and Spock and Bones
noted this verbally at the end of the episode.

Jeanette Zobjeck
ihnp4!wlcrjs!zubbie

bsa@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (02/03/85)

As I remember it, Spock remarks at the end that Kirk had an even deeper
incurable love affair... with his ship.

--bsa
--
   Brandon Allbery @ decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!bsa (..ncoast!tdi1!bsa business)
6504 Chestnut Road, Independence, Ohio 44131 +1 216 524 1416 (or what have you)