[net.startrek] Star Trek IV and Harv Bennett

brahms@spp2.UUCP (Bradley S. Brahms) (02/02/85)

[}{]

Well, here is some information that I got off the radio in L.A. about
STIV.  It was reported that all this came from good old Harv:

      -	Both Shatner and Nimoy have been signed.  Nimoy will again direct.

      - With all the stuff that happen in STIII (sabotage, espionage,
	kidnapping, etc.), Harv said only "someone has to pay!".

Not to much else was reported.  I believe Harv is doing the screen play
again.  So it seems that we may well be heading for either a trial,
backroom politicking (was there ever any doubt) or something else on that
line.

			-- Brad Brahms
			   usenet: {decvax,ucbvax}!trwrb!trwspp!brahms
			   arpa:   Brahms@usc-eclc

dewey@ttidcb.UUCP (William Dewey) (02/06/85)

Since its really on the 'books' now, why dont we all go through the
posibilities again.........

I think its gonna be a cop-out, and what we'll see is Kirk get 'severly
reprimanded' and busted back to (wait for it.....) Captain.... Might
even give him an EnterpriseN....

How bout the rest of yah?

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (02/08/85)

> Since its really on the 'books' now, why dont we all go through the
> posibilities again.........
>

> I think its gonna be a cop-out, and what we'll see is Kirk get 'severly
> reprimanded' and busted back to (wait for it.....) Captain.... Might
> even give him an EnterpriseN....
>
> How bout the rest of yah?

Nope.  Jim stays an admiral.  My theory on the whole matter is that
Jim is going to be put on trial.  While he is in jail, something
happens and Scotty, Uhura, and some other people get captured by
some nasties, probably Klingons.  Spock breaks out of jail and Kirk
plunges in to rescue everybody.  Hell, there's probably a government
official in there to say "Wow, Jim, thanks for saving my ass.  I'll
return the favour and save yours.  You're now absolved of all charges
against you." proving,  once again, that justice (even in the 23rd
century) is blind as a bat.

Which brings up something that disturbs me.  I'd like to see a movie
about Jim's trial, but I really doubt I'll get one.  Jim has backed
himself into a wall and I can see no way of him getting out.  There
also seems to be the requirement in these movies that ships and/or
people must get into one rousing phaser battle at least once during
the entire movie, just so Star Trek can bring in the 6-12 male kiddies.
Personally, I didn't very much like it when, recently, I overheard
my 8 year old cousin talking about Star Trek and saying how neat the
battle was.  He liked the movies better because "there was more action."
By action, of course, he means people running around trying to blow
each other up.

It's kind of apity, really.  It's almost like the compulsory car
chase scenes on television.  I was really hoping Star Trek had risen
above this silliness.  A pity it hasn't...
---
"I'm going to have to shoot you."            Peter Merchant
"Oh.  All right."  (BANG!)
"What a senseless waste of human life."

sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) (02/11/85)

Peter Merchant writes concerning a possible plot for Star Trek IV:

>...Which brings up something that disturbs me.  I'd like to see a movie
>about Jim's trial, but I really doubt I'll get one.  Jim has backed
>himself into a wall and I can see no way of him getting out...

Since when did that ever stop James T. Kirk?

Sean

lindley@ut-ngp.UUCP (John L. Templer) (02/12/85)

>                                   Spock breaks out of jail and Kirk
> plunges in to rescue everybody.
			.
			.
			.
			.

Wait a minute, Spock breaks out of jail?  For what possible reason was
he arrested?  Possibly for not staying dead? :-)

--

                                           John L. Templer
                                     University of Texas at Austin

    {allegra,gatech,seismo!ut-sally,vortex}!ut-ngp!lindley

                 "and they called it, yuppy love."