[net.startrek] Honorable Mention

raiche@dartvax.UUCP (George A. Raiche) (02/13/85)

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE, EARTHMAN!!!!! ***

I just watched one of my favorite episodes last night, and realized that
it hasn't seemed to come up at all in the best/worst gunfight.

I nominate "The Ultimate Computer" (as well as COTEOF, Balance of Terror,
and Obsession) as among the best episodes.  Here we have Kirk doing some
real soul-searching about the role of man in space, as well as getting
a deep insight into the friendship and loyalty binding Kirk, Spock, and
McCoy.  The scene where Kirk recites the line from Kipling(?) ["all I
ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by..."] is, in my humble opinion,
one of the best-acted in the series; it also shows us much about the
character of James T. Kirk.

One drawback to the episode is the ocasionally wooden performance of De
Kelley; there are a couple of lines where he is supposed to be cut off
by Kirk, but it's kind of obvious that he had nothing else to say beyond
what was written in the script.

				George Raiche
				Dept. of Chemistry
				Dartmouth

	"That's...one of your better prescriptions, Doctor."

jimc@haddock.UUCP (02/15/85)

I never understood why M-5 behaved so erratically in the first
place.  I just can't believe anyone in his/her right mind would
have allowed such a beast onto a starship before thoroughly
checking for such a problem.  I also never understood why the
thing's creator could not have applied that "fatal logic" which
Kirk used to shut down M-5.

Still, it was a good episode.

					Jim Campbell

maurice@nmtvax.UUCP (02/15/85)

In article <> raiche@dartvax.UUCP (George A. Raiche) writes:

>        The scene where Kirk recites the line from Kipling(?) ["all I
>ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by..."] is, in my humble opinion,
>one of the best-acted in the series; it also shows us much about the
>character of James T. Kirk.

Actually, it is John Masefield, in "Sea-Fever". In full the line is this:

       "I must go down to the seas again,
        to the lonely sea and the sky,
        And all I ask is a tall ship
        and a star to steer her by."

I think that Kirk is overdoing the philosophy some here.

            roger m levasseur
{ ucbvax | lanl } !unmvax!nmtvax!maurice

naiman@pegasus.UUCP (Ephrayim J. Naiman) (02/19/85)

<munch, munch>

>> I never understood why M-5 behaved so erratically in the first
>> place.  I just can't believe anyone in his/her right mind would
>> have allowed such a beast onto a starship before thoroughly
>> checking for such a problem.  I also never understood why the
>> thing's creator could not have applied that "fatal logic" which
>> Kirk used to shut down M-5.

Another thing that always bugged me about "The Ultimate Computer"
was that the starship captain was so smug about the fact
that Kirk ws going to lose HIS job.  Was he so dumb not to realize
that he was next in line ??!!
--

==> Ephrayim J. Naiman @ AT&T Information Systems Laboratories (201) 576-6259
Paths: [ihnp4, allegra, ahuta, maxvax, cbosgd, lzmi, ...]!pegasus!naiman

chenr@tilt.FUN (Ray Chen) (02/22/85)

> >        The scene where Kirk recites the line from Kipling(?) ["all I
> >ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by..."] is, in my humble opinion,
> >one of the best-acted in the series; it also shows us much about the
> >character of James T. Kirk.
>
> Actually, it is John Masefield, in "Sea-Fever". In full the line is this:
>
>        "I must go down to the seas again,
>         to the lonely sea and the sky,
>         And all I ask is a tall ship
>         and a star to steer her by."
>
> I think that Kirk is overdoing the philosophy some here.

The episode this came from is "The Balance of Terror" where Kirk decides
that in order to avert a Federation-Romulan Empire war, he has to engage
and destroy a cloaking-device equiped Romulan starship -- a ship that
is quite capable of destroying his own.

This in my opinion was one of the best epsisodes.  Showed a glimpse of
the decisions and responsibility of a commander of a warship (both
Federation and Romulan).

	Ray Chen
	princeton!tilt!chenr