[net.startrek] boats and ships

cwayne@unm-cvax.UUCP (03/29/85)

>From: guads@nmtvax.UUCP (Steven Lautzenheiser)
>Date: 28 Mar 85 08:10:46 GMT
>
>In article <> cwayne@unm-cvax.UUCP (Chris Wayne) writes:
>>
>>     NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!NO!
>>     The Enterprise is dead, let her rest in peace!  This would be
>>     the MOST STUPIDEST move ever made!  If you want startrek to turn
>>     into a kiddie show like "V" or "Lost in Space", go do it on your
>>     own time!!!  If Kirk gets a new ship, it must be a new and
>>     different vessel!  You name houseboats or yachts "<whatever> II",
>>     but not starships!!!!!!
>>
>No IIs, eh?  What about the Galileo II?

     Shuttlecraft are considered boats!!  Any vessel that can be hauled
aboard a ship (starship in this case) is a boat and is therefore subject
to nameing conventions such as "Galileo II"!!

     Yes of course, there are exceptions.  The building authorization of
SD::4444.00, provided four(4) replacements to the 12 original Class-I MK-IX
CA Starships. (see the Tech Manual).  However, records now show that one or
more of these replacement ships were actually replacing the older upgraded
Local Defence Monitors which were authorized just after the Romulan War had
proved that "National Fleets" were still important for the Federation's
Internal Security.  Some of these "LDM"'s were built so well, from designs
from the late 20th Century/early 21st Century, that they became testing
platforms for designing the Constitution Class Starships and a few of those
are still around today, like the USS Repulic NCC-1371.

     Special Note: the data provided here is from hard laborous decoding
from very small portions of the Kirtland Tapes, which are in turn copies
of the original 1973 Omaha Tapes.  There is still over 70% of the tapes
undecoded!

                                      Chris Wayne @ UNM,

                                 translated from the Kirtland Tapes,
                                 by Strek, a division of,
                                 Baron Software

Kirtland Tapes, Strek, and Baron Sowtware are tademarks owned by the author.
All Rights Reserved! (I'm not sure what all that means, but it sounds official.)