[net.startrek] Kirk Fight Scenes

phillips@reed.UUCP (Patrick Phillips) (03/13/85)

<Kirk KO's the line eater --More-- >

We all know that James T. Kirk is the best fighter in the
universe (though there are stronger individuals).  The question
is, therefore:  What is your favorite Kirk fight scene.
There must be at least one per episode, so you have lots of
choices.  Perhaps you should say why you like the scene (or don't
like it.  Fight flames allowed), so the talk isn't too
trivial.

My favorite:  In Tomorrow is Yesterday.  When Kirk fights the guards
in order to buy Sulu time to get back to the ship.  The full-out
body block which takes out all three gaurds is a thing of artistry.

Bonus Boner:  Not a Kirk scene, but...  Spock fighting Nancy Crater
in Man Trap.  "Docter, if this was Nancy, could she take this?

	"I'm a Doctor, damn it, not a quote generator!"

			Patrick (phillips@reed)

rafe@reed.UUCP (Rafe Needleman) (03/13/85)

[I'm a doctor, not a line-eater!]

re: Fight scenes

Patrick,

Surely you remember watching "Space Seed" the other night.  How can you
compare any fight scene to that?  After Kahn says (in that oh-so-suave
Mediteranian accent of his)  "I have five times your strength,"  Kirk
pummels him into jello with a styrofoam crowbar.

That fight scene was one of the few, I believe, where there were TWO stunt
doubles in a scene.  Note that neither Shatner nor Montalbon were actually
on the engine room floor for the sweeping panoramic view of the two centuries
coming FACE TO FACE HERE AT THE EN-TER-PRISE STAD-E-UM... (shut up, Howard).

-Rafe
(...!tektronix!reed!rafe)

rafe@reed.UUCP (Rafe Needleman) (03/15/85)

[I'm a doctor, not a line-eater!]

Patrick,

Well, there's no denying that Kirk's full-body flying block in "Tomorrow
Is Yesterday" was a thing of beauty, but REALLY, that was Kirk versus
three 20th-century minions.  Hardly fair odds, for them.

I think the more impressive scenes are when Kirk takes on people (or
aliens) of obviously superior abilities.  For example, in "Space Seed",
first we see Kahn mold Kirk's phaser into Silly-Putty, but after Kahn
says (in his suave Mediteranian accent) "I have five times your strength,"
Kirk pummels him into jelly with a styrofoam crowbar!

My favorite confrontation scene ("fight" is such an ugly word) is from
"The Paradise Syndrome."  Kirk figures that in order to snap Spock out
of his spore-induced muntinous frivolity, he must get him angry.  REALLY
angry.  Apparently the way to do this is to tell Spock his "father was a
computer and your mother a library."  Ooh!

-Rafe  (rafe@reed)

"I don't like that.  I don't think I ever did.  Now I'm sure."   -Spock

phillips@reed.UUCP (Patrick Phillips) (03/15/85)

>I think the more impressive scenes are when Kirk takes on people (or
>aliens) of obviously superior abilities.  For example, in "Space Seed",
>first we see Kahn mold Kirk's phaser into Silly-Putty, but after Kahn
>says (in his suave Mediteranian accent) "I have five times your strength,"
>Kirk pummels him into jelly with a styrofoam crowbar!
>
>My favorite confrontation scene ("fight" is such an ugly word) is from
>"The Paradise Syndrome."  Kirk figures that in order to snap Spock out
>of his spore-induced muntinous frivolity, he must get him angry.

I don't think that I agree with this.  For one thing, Kirk loses to Spock
in "The Paradise Syndrome;" not a good way to prove how awesome a fighter
Kirk is.  "Space Seed" is not too different, Kirk is losing there too,
but I guess that we have to give him credit for thinking far enough
ahead to put those styrofoam crowbars into Engineering just in case he needed
them (why else would those things be there :->).

I am most impressed with the "confrontation" scenes in which Kirk displays
true fighting skill and cleverness, not just the ability to effectively
use a weapon.

			Patrick (phillips@reed)

"Give me a good phaser, and I'll beat the Old C'ptin"

adolph@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark Adolph) (03/18/85)

> <Kirk KO's the line eater --More-- >
>
> We all know that James T. Kirk is the best fighter in the
> universe (though there are stronger individuals).  The question
> is, therefore:  What is your favorite Kirk fight scene.

Before you start praising Kirk again, we must first acknowledge those
crew members who took the brunt of punishment while Kirk was being macho.
Have you *ever* seen Chekov win a fight?  I can think of two different
episodes right off the bat where he's tortured ("Mirror" & "Dove").
And what about Scotty?  In both "Adonais" and "Changeling", he gets
flung several feet through the air by bolts of unspecified destructive
energy.

That out of the way, my most memorable Kirk fight scene is after he calls
Spock a "computerized half-breed" and "a traitor".  I never knew that he
bounced off of walls so well.

					-- Mark A.
					...uw-beaver!ssc-vax!adolph

 "When a fly lands on the ceiling, does it do a half roll or a half loop?"

jmoore@fred.UUCP (Jim Moore) (03/19/85)

> <Kirk KO's the line eater --More-- >
>
> We all know that James T. Kirk is the best fighter in the
> universe (though there are stronger individuals).  The question
> is, therefore:  What is your favorite Kirk fight scene.

My favorite fight scene appears in the original Khan episode.
Khan starts an overload in the engine room and Kirk must disable it
over Khan's objections.

Khan: "I have 5 times your strenght!"

Kirk (to himself): "Yes, but I have a control rod."

And Kirk proceeds to pound Khan to pulp with the control rod.

Jim Moore
NBI, Boulder Co.
{allegra|ucbvax|hao}!nbires!jmoore

chenr@tilt.FUN (Ray Chen) (03/20/85)

> > <Kirk KO's the line eater --More-- >

> > We all know that James T. Kirk is the best fighter in the
> > universe (though there are stronger individuals).  The question
> > is, therefore:  What is your favorite Kirk fight scene.

> That out of the way, my most memorable Kirk fight scene is after he calls
> Spock a "computerized half-breed" and "a traitor".  I never knew that he
> bounced off of walls so well.

Of course, we can't forget all those fights in which Kirk demonstrated
his prowess using the deadliest fighting techniques known to man -- the
double-handed swing and the two-footed kick (immediately followed by
the thundering crash to the ground, of course).

I'm amazed Kirk's lived as long he has.

	Ray Chen
	princeton!tilt!chenr

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (03/20/85)

>From: adolph@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark Adolph)
>
>Before you start praising Kirk again, we must first acknowledge those
>crew members who took the brunt of punishment while Kirk was being macho.

Have you ever considered what has got to be the worst duty on the
Enterprise- to be the young Ensign/Lieutenant (usually from security) who
has to beam down with the Captain as part of a landing party.

Let's face it, if you draw this job, you're chances aren't worth a plug
nickel. After all, isn't it always the young noname crewman on the landing
party who is always the first to be blasted, shot, vaporized, absorbed,
disrupted, or turned into little white cubes?

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

schuster@Shasta.ARPA (03/21/85)

[Why? because we like you]

> >From: adolph@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark Adolph)
> >
> >Before you start praising Kirk again, we must first acknowledge those
> >crew members who took the brunt of punishment while Kirk was being macho.
>
> Have you ever considered what has got to be the worst duty on the
> Enterprise- to be the young Ensign/Lieutenant (usually from security) who
> has to beam down with the Captain as part of a landing party.
>
> John Ruschmeyer

My favorite group participation activities are counting the number of RedShirts
that beam down and then get blown up, mutilated, turned into newts, whatever;
and screaming "take it off" in the later episodes when Kirk gets to have the
scenes with his shirt off.

-- Jay Schuster decvax!decwrl!shasta!schuster schuster@su-pescadero.arpa

nairb@ihlpg.UUCP (b. enke) (03/22/85)

> > <Kirk KO's the line eater --More-- >
> >
> > We all know that James T. Kirk is the best fighter in the
> > universe (though there are stronger individuals).  The question
> > is, therefore:  What is your favorite Kirk fight scene.

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE, KLINGON SCUM! ***

True.  I agree that Kirk is the best fighter in the known universe (and
probably the unknown also), and in almost every episode he is involved in
some kind of bout.

HOWEVER, it is very ironic that the ALL TIME BEST Star Trek fight scene
does not have Kirk involved at all!!!  Of course, I'm talking about that
fantastic fight in "T T W Tribbles".  Nothing makes me feel better than
seeing a Klingon get pounded around.  By the way, as someone else pointed
out, Scotty and Chekov both got pounded in this one also.  Maybe poor
Chekov should take some karate lessons!

> It's a poor atom-blaster that won't point both ways :  Salvor Hardin.

					President, T.A.S
					(Tribble Adoption Society)

zubbie@wlcrjs.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) (03/22/85)

I hope that no one actually would like to see one of the main characters
get zapped, melted, vaporized, absorbed, turned into little while
cubes, dematerialized etc.
I thought everyone knew that the Enterprise really only needed the
bridge crew and a few in engineering and the rest of the 400 or
so people were merely sacrificial passengers to be tossed up for
the apeasement of the fans for action and the job security of
the stars.

From the mostly vacant environment of  Jeanette L. Zobjeck (ihnp4!wlcrjs!zubbie)

All opinions expressed may not even be my own.

eagle@ihlpg.UUCP (John Blumenstein) (03/23/85)

When I read this question of "what is your favorite Kirk Fight Scene?"
what came to mind is the episode on the planet that your thought
becomes reality (sorry can not think of the title).  In this episode
Kirk mentions a space academy upperclassmen foe, I think his name was
Finnigan, a rough neck Irishmen.  All of a sudden he appears and begins
to scuffle with Kirk.  They both proceed to beat the s**t out of each
other but Finnigan was still young and Kirk showed his age.  This episode
shows the worst beating that Kirk gets and I think he loved
every minute of it.

Changing the subject,  a long time ago someone asked for an album by
Nemoy in which he sang some songs - I have that (actually my wife does).
I also have a interesting album by Wm. Shatner called "The Captain of a
Starship".

					John Blumenstein
					ihlpg!eagle

Sulu: They say she has Transwarp drive.
Scotty: Aye, and if my mother had wheels she would be a wagon.

--
"Your a legend in your own Mind."

				John T. Blumenstein
				ihlpg!eagle

rsf@Shasta.ARPA (03/24/85)

One of the most memorable Kirk fight scenes has to be the one in "Amok
Time", where Kirk gets to tackle a sex-crazed Spock (and ends up with a neat
gash across his chest).  Lucky for him, Spock was not so crazy as to finish
Kirk off after it appears that he has died!  It's also fun to see Spock's
expression at the end of the show, when he finds that Kirk is still alive
after all.

As for bogus fight scenes, how about the confrontation with the Gorn in
"Arena"?  Kirk is foolish enough to start grappling with this beastie the
moment he sees it, even though it's clearly likely to be far stronger
than he.  After surviving such treatment as a crushing by boulders, the
Gorn finally succumbs to Kirk's gunpowder and diamond kludge.  Good grief!

	Ross.

hkr4627@acf4.UUCP (Hedley K. J. Rainnie) (04/04/85)

Speaking about Chekov getting pummelled, he really has a beautiful
tenor scream.  There's Mirror, Mirror getting punished, "Day of the
Dove" getting that Klingon thing on his face and countless others.
He should scream for the Met.