[net.startrek] Star Trek ramblings

ccrrick@ucdavis.UUCP (Rick Heli) (04/19/85)

For some time UCD has been a "read only" site, thus, apologies
for opinions for what may be musty topics...

Re:  Suggestions that Kirk will be court martialed.

	If it were the real world, would Kirk really be in hot
	water?  He saved the Genesis information, recovered Spock,
	eliminated a Klingon threat, captured his ship and only
	lost a ship that was going to be out to drydock anyway.

Re:  Shore Leave and Star Trek glitches.

	In the Kirk-Finnegan fight scene, did you notice that
	they pass the same stretch of trees and path three times?

Re:  Star Trek Drinking Games.

	How about a drink each time Sulu does a countdown?  Or
	maybe once per number.  Some shows would be better (:-))
	than others, but you'd be surprised how often Sulu does it.

Re:  Star Trek Episode Video Releases and Star Trek glitches.

	I rented Corbomite Maneuver and was most pleased with it.
	Did you notice a glaring post-production glitch?  The
	First Federation commander is counting down the minutes
	until the Enterprise's destruction.  At one point, Sulu
	says, "I knew he would," as a complete non sequitur.  I
	believe Balok was to have said, "One minute!"

	Another thing about those videos, they show the previews
	for the next episode, something you never see on TV
	anymore.

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (04/21/85)

> For some time UCD has been a "read only" site, thus, apologies
> for opinions for what may be musty topics...
>

> Re:  Suggestions that Kirk will be court martialed.
>
> 	If it were the real world, would Kirk really be in hot
> 	water?  He saved the Genesis information, recovered Spock,
> 	eliminated a Klingon threat, captured his ship and only
> 	lost a ship that was going to be out to drydock anyway.

{ There you go again }

Well, let's see...

a) He saved the Genesis information from what?  The Klingons?  What Klingons?
The Klingons themselves didn't know of any of their ships running around in
Federation territory.  They are going to scream to high heaven that this is
a frame-up job.  Remember: We saw the movie.  The Federation Council DIDN'T!
They don't KNOW what happened out there.

b) He recovered Spock.  Large fat hairy deal.  The Federation would not
   crumble without Spock.  Come on, kids...

c) Eliminated a Klingon Threat?  What threat?  I see no Klingons here.  All
   we have is a Federation Admiral who stole a ship, disabled another one
   (Although I don't know if they'll be able to prove Scotty did it) and
   broke a bunch of serious orders telling us that there were a bunch of Klingon
   spies running around.  Trust him?!  I wouldn't even listen to him!

d) Lost a ship that was only going to drydock?  Well, yes, but we also assume
   that the Enterprise data banks were still intact and probably chock full
   of classified information.  If the ship was going to drydock, the information
   wasn't...

Let's look at it from the Federation's point of view.  Jim is disgruntled with
the Federation, so he goes over to the Klingons.  Gives the Klingons the info
about Genesis.  In return, Jim gets a ship with a cloaking device (so the
Federation won't see him) and goes and gets Spock and returns to Vulcan to save
the life of his best friend.  The Federation catches Jimmy on Vulcan and says
"Hey, Jim, where'd you get the new ship?" and he comes up with some cock-and-bull
story about how the Klingons were going to steal Genesis and he beat them up.
"Right, Jim.  Why not just come with us?"
--
                                   Peter Merchant

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (04/22/85)

In article <2943@dartvax.UUCP> merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) writes:
>> Re:  Suggestions that Kirk will be court martialed.
>>
>> 	If it were the real world, would Kirk really be in hot
>> 	water?  He saved the Genesis information, recovered Spock,
>> 	eliminated a Klingon threat, captured his ship and only
>> 	lost a ship that was going to be out to drydock anyway.
>>

>{ There you go again }
>
>Well, let's see...
>
>a) He saved the Genesis information from what?  The Klingons?  What Klingons?
>The Klingons themselves didn't know of any of their ships running around in
>Federation territory.  They are going to scream to high heaven that this is
>a frame-up job.  Remember: We saw the movie.  The Federation Council DIDN'T!
>They don't KNOW what happened out there.
he has a small, intact, Klingon destroyer-class ship that he landed
on Vulcan with.  even if they don't believe how the Enterprise turned
into a Klingon scout, they have to admit that an unregistered Klingon
ship was what he arrived in.

>b) He recovered Spock.  Large fat hairy deal.  The Federation would not
>   crumble without Spock.  Come on, kids...
this is important.  Spock is the son of a very important Federation Council
member.  even if they ignored the fact that Spock was a member of Starfleet,
they have to realize that he may be the next Vulcan ambassador or
some such.  also, as oft' quoted, "as goes Spock, so goes Vulcan".  whether
they like it or not, Spock has a great deal of influence, even if he weren't
an important ambassador's only son.

>c) Eliminated a Klingon Threat?  What threat?  I see no Klingons here.  All
>   we have is a Federation Admiral who stole a ship, disabled another one
>   (Although I don't know if they'll be able to prove Scotty did it) and
>   broke a bunch of serious orders telling us that there were a bunch of
>   Klingon spies running around.  Trust him?!  I wouldn't even listen to him!
see one captured Klingon scout on the landing field?
well, i captured it intact with a little help rom my friends.

>d) Lost a ship that was only going to drydock?  Well, yes, but we also assume
>   that the Enterprise data banks were still intact and probably chock full
>   of classified information.  If the ship was going to drydock, the
>   information wasn't...
it was destroyed.  even if the rest of self-destruct didn't work, information
would be the first thing destroyed.  if it weren't then Starfleet would
have learned nothing from 300+ years of naval history.  the first job
of anyone boarding a ship surrendering or unable to fight is to
get the logbooks and the codebooks.  capturing or killing the crew
is a secondary task.  so for the Klingons, copying the computer banks
is first priority, and for the Enterprise, destroying the navigation
system and all associated information and the communications information
would be first priority.  destruction is next.

>Let's look at it from the Federation's point of view.  Jim is disgruntled with
>the Federation, so he goes over to the Klingons.  Gives the Klingons the info
>about Genesis.  In return, Jim gets a ship with a cloaking device (so the
>Federation won't see him) and goes and gets Spock and returns to Vulcan to save
>the life of his best friend.  The Federation catches Jimmy on Vulcan and says
>"Hey, Jim, where'd you get the new ship?" and he comes up with some
>cock-and-bull story about how the Klingons were going to steal Genesis
>and he beat them up. "Right, Jim.  Why not just come with us?"
Admiral James T. Kirk was head of Fleet Planning and Preparedness,
Earth Sector.  you don't appoint people you don't trust to that job.
granted, his methods are unorthodox, but they get the job done, and much
more tidily than a whole lot of other people.   another thing, you have
a whole ot of debris floating around where the Genesis planet used to be,
and the shot up remains of a Federation scoutship somewhere in that
debris.  you have to account for them too.

>--
>                                   Peter Merchant

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu