[net.startrek] Aging & Bifocals

xavier@ut-ngp.UUCP ( Xavier) (04/25/85)

	After watching the Star Trek movies, one can
	certainly see that the characters have aged
	some (at least).  In fact we see Kirk using
	bifocals.  Presently, there are techniques
	now being used to "repair" the lense.  Surely
	in the Warp Era, techniques would have been
	improved to such a point where his eyes would
	be good as new.  Also, doesn't one expect that
	new treatments (like Warp version of Oil of
	Olay) would exist to retard or even reverse
	aging?  Aging (or general deterioration) would
	be optional.  But for a guy who yearns to return
	to command a starship, keeping young would be
	a must.  And of course the transporter could
	always be used to rejuvenate the body while
	the ship's computer or another device could be
	used to keep one's memory while the body is being
	rejuvenated. Can anyone come with a good reason
	why the crew is getting older?

avolio@decuac.UUCP (Frederick M. Avolio) (04/25/85)

>       ................  In fact we see Kirk using
> 	bifocals.  Presently, there are techniques
> 	now being used to "repair" the lense.  Surely
> 	in the Warp Era, techniques would have been
> 	improved to such a point where his eyes would
>       be good as new. .......

Yes, it did exist and, as stated, Kirk was allergic to the prescribed
treatment (artificial lense?). Man doe not change that much, I guess.
--
Fred Avolio      {decvax,seismo}!decuac!avolio      301/731-4100 x4227

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (04/27/85)

Kirk's bifocals were a symbol of his being tired (read old) in TWOK.
Much of Startrek's appeal comes from the humanity of Out Favorite Heroes.
An ageless Kirk would be hard to identify with.

If you want to ponder immortality, watch an uncut version of Zardoz at
least once.

Actually, TWOK is not a very good story (in my opinion).  The critical
blunder that gives Kahn his chance is most uncharacteristic of the captain
Kirk that has been through myriad episodes where assorted baddies have
taked over Federation ships.  AND THEN Kirk is his usual ultrabrilliant
self as he defeats Kahn with cunning, etc.

I don't know if Nimoy really demanded the death of Spock as a condition
for acting in TWOK.  If that is really the case (I think he denits it)
than perhaps I can excuse the TWOK story.  Otherwise, it's not much
better than "Spock's Brain".
--
Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX	..!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Omen Technology Inc 17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD Portland OR 97231

rrw@ccice2.UUCP (Rick Wessman) (04/28/85)

I seem to remember that in TWOK, Kirk mentions that he is allergic
to "retinox," which apparently is some vision-correcting drug.
That's why McCoy gave him the bifocals.

				Rick

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (04/28/85)

In article <1652@ut-ngp.UUCP> xavier@ut-ngp.UUCP ( Xavier) writes:

>	After watching the Star Trek movies, one can
>	certainly see that the characters have aged
>	some (at least).  In fact we see Kirk using
>	bifocals.  Presently, there are techniques
>	now being used to "repair" the lense.  Surely
>	in the Warp Era, techniques would have been
>	improved to such a point where his eyes would
>	be good as new.  Also, doesn't one expect that
>	new treatments (like Warp version of Oil of
>	Olay) would exist to retard or even reverse
>	aging?  Aging (or general deterioration) would
>	be optional.  But for a guy who yearns to return
>	to command a starship, keeping young would be
>	a must.  And of course the transporter could
>	always be used to rejuvenate the body while
>	the ship's computer or another device could be
>	used to keep one's memory while the body is being
>	rejuvenated. Can anyone come with a good reason
>	why the crew is getting older?

there is a throwaway line somewhere in that scene where Kirk says
that he's allergic to the standard treatment.  also, who says that
extended lifespans means that we will not LOOK old?  as far as using the
transporter is concerned, i'd rather not use that.  it's another
inconsistency in the whole ST universe.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

mupmalis@watarts.UUCP (mike upmalis) (04/28/85)

In article <1652@ut-ngp.UUCP> xavier@ut-ngp.UUCP ( Xavier) writes:

>	After watching the Star Trek movies, one can
>	certainly see that the characters have aged
>	some (at least).  In fact we see Kirk using
>	bifocals.  Presently, there are techniques
>	now being used to "repair" the lense.  Surely
>	in the Warp Era, techniques would have been
>	improved to such a point where his eyes would
>	be good as new.

	To this first part I suspect the bifocals served the same purpose
as the fireplace, an appeal to Kirks anachronistic side.  Most near future
stories usually portray the rugged individualist as one who shaves rather
use a depilatory, one who cooks rather than use an auto chef etc...

>	Also, doesn't one expect that
>	new treatments (like Warp version of Oil of
>	Olay) would exist to retard or even reverse
>	aging?

I suspect that either a) they don't have the technology (consider the need
for drs etc... Sarek's heart disease could only be fixed by the good Dr (I am
guessing the plot from Journey to Babel)...Why wouldn't it be fixed?..

One theory of aging recently (Discovey in the recent past talked about it)
Suggests that aging is 'noise' creeping into the genetic code,
Well, what is the signal to noise ration of a Transporter, This Galactic
Blender (or whatever Doc Mccoy) called would have to operate at better than
seven decimals otherwise.....

If people lived longer, Earth might become another Trantor..Sociological reason
to limit life extension....

--
~~
Mike Upmalis	(mupmalis@watarts)<University of Waterloo>

tli@oberon.UUCP (Tony Li) (04/29/85)

> >       ................  In fact we see Kirk using
> > 	bifocals.  Presently, there are techniques
> > 	now being used to "repair" the lense.  Surely
> > 	in the Warp Era, techniques would have been
> > 	improved to such a point where his eyes would
> >       be good as new. .......
>
> Yes, it did exist and, as stated, Kirk was allergic to the prescribed
> treatment (artificial lense?). Man doe not change that much, I guess.

Yes, but I find it hard to believe that ALL of the viewing correction
implements between bifocals and very special lenses are out.  Kirk may
be allergic to the Warp Era contact lens, but what about all of the
current contact lenses?  Come on....

At -8.75 diopters, myopically yours,

--
Tony Li ;-)		Usc Computer Science
Uucp: {sdcrdcf,randvax}!uscvax!tli

zubbie@ihlpa.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) (05/02/85)

> 	After watching the Star Trek movies, one can
> 	certainly see that the characters have aged
> 	some (at least).  In fact we see Kirk using
> 	bifocals.  Presently, there are techniques
> 	now being used to "repair" the lense.  Surely
> 	in the Warp Era, techniques would have been
> 	improved to such a point where his eyes would
> 	be good as new.  Also, doesn't one expect that
> 	new treatments (like Warp version of Oil of
> 	Olay) would exist to retard or even reverse
> 	aging?  Aging (or general deterioration) would
> 	be optional.  But for a guy who yearns to return
> 	to command a starship, keeping young would be
> 	a must.  And of course the transporter could
> 	always be used to rejuvenate the body while
> 	the ship's computer or another device could be
> 	used to keep one's memory while the body is being
> 	rejuvenated. Can anyone come with a good reason
> 	why the crew is getting older?

There is a treatment but if you remeber Jim is allergic
to it.
for information on non-aging and anti-agathic drugs
read Cities In Flight (All 3 books)
jeanette l. zobjeck
ihnp4!ihlpa!zubbie