[net.startrek] \"The Slaver Weapon\"

boyajian@akov68.DEC (05/07/85)

> From:	osiris!rob

>> A question : In one of the animated ST episodes, I dimly remember
>> Kirk & co coming across a "Slaver stasis box" on a frozen planet
>> which contains various interesting and destructive devices
>> which Kirk trys to keep from the Klingons.  Does anyone know
>> of any connection between this and Larry Niven's Slaver stasis
>> boxes in his Known Space series?
>>
>> Andrew Folkins     ihnp4!alberta!andrew   At home in the Great White North.
>
> That episode was a direct steal from "The Soft Weapon," in Niven's
> _Neutron Star_ collection.  It wasn't the Klingons who wanted the
> Stasis Box, it was the kzinti (in the Star Trek universe, yet!)...

Ah, it wasn't "steal" at all. If you'll notice, next time to see that
cartoon episode, you'll notice that Niven wrote the screenplay himself!
Stealing from oneself is hardly a crime. There was at least one other
cartoon episode ("The Infinite Vulcan", written by Walter Koenig) that
made a reference to (though no appearances by) the kzinti.
	When Alan Dean Foster did his adaptations of the cartoons (the
STAR TREK LOG book from Ballantine/Del Rey), he mentioned the kzinti
here and there, and even went so far as to relate them --- as in common
ancestors --- with the Caitians (the race of Lt. M'Hress, the felinoid
communications officer in the cartoon show). They do make an appearance
in a flashback story told by M'Hress in, I think STAR TREK LOG 5. Foster's
adaptation of "The Slaver Weapon" was in STL 9, which unlike the previous
books, only adapted the one story instead of the usual three per book.
As adaptations go, it wasn't that bad, but it was interesting that the
actual adaptation was only a prologue to a completely original novel.

> I think screenplays that draw on real science fiction in this way are
> sort of interesting.  The only other example I can think of is "Arena",
> originally a story by Frederick Brown.

From what I understand, this was an accident. Gene Coon wrote the script
without knowing (at least consciously) of Brown's story. Somewhere along
the line, someone recognized the story and Paramount/Desilu franticly
sought rights to "adapt" the short story before they had to start shooting
(if I remember, they didn't have any other scripts ready to shoot in its
place). I *think* this was mention in Whitfield's THE MAKING OF STAR TREK,
though I don't believe he mentioned which episode it was, but since "Arena"
was the only one adapted from another medium....

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA