[net.startrek] Why have a transporter room?

rmz@ihu1e.UUCP (robert m. zieman) (04/12/85)

*** BEAM THIS LINE UP SCOTTY ***
If Mr. Scott can beam someone from one place on a planet to another
place, why can't Kirk and Spock (or anyone for that matter) be beamed
directly from the bridge to their destination?

gts@wjh12.UUCP (G. T. Samson) (04/16/85)

> *** BEAM THIS LINE UP SCOTTY ***
> If Mr. Scott can beam someone from one place on a planet to another
> place, why can't Kirk and Spock (or anyone for that matter) be beamed
> directly from the bridge to their destination?

I think it has something to do with the fact that to beam someone from
one place to another, this someone has to first be beamed to the transporter
room, and thence to his/her destination.  In "Day of the Dove" (I *think*
that's the title), Kirk uses intraship beaming to get himself sent to a
part of the Enterprise that they can't reach because Klingons control
the turbolifts and some very inconveniently-placed bulkheads have closed;
he mentions that it's very dangerous...

The danger involved may be because transporters are better at beaming things
from their "starting point" to a fixed destination; therefore, it would
be dangerous to try to pluck Kirk and Spock off the Bridge, beam them to
the transporter room, and then to their destination.

Name:		G. T. Samson
Quote:		"No matter where you go...there you are." -- B. Banzai
Other_Quote:	"You speak treason!" "Fluently!" 	  -- The Doctor
ARPA:		gts@wjh12 [preferred] OR samson%h-sc4@harvard
USMail:		Lowell H-41, Harvard U., Cambridge, MA 02138

schuster@Shasta.ARPA (04/17/85)

> If Mr. Scott can beam someone from one place on a planet to another
> place, why can't Kirk and Spock (or anyone for that matter) be beamed
> directly from the bridge to their destination?

Even more importantly, something that was discussed in a Larry Niven
short story:

If a "bad" element got a hold of a transporter, what would prevent them
from stealing things from behind locked doors (since no transmitter is
needed) or from placing bombs behind said locked doors (since no
receiver is needed either)?  The premise in the short story was that if
it was not true that both a transmitter and a receiver were needed
society would decay to the point where transporters were no longer
possible (with the current technology).

Imagine a terrorist with a startrek type transporter.

Even in a couple episodes they have stolen people off of other people's
ships, and planted tribbles on a Klingon vessel (Klingons have vessels
not ships?)

-- Jay Schuster schuster@su-pescadero.arpa ...!decvax!decwrl!shasta!schuster

her3@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Benjamin Andrew Herman) (04/30/85)

addressing soly the problem of the transporter inconsistencies and why not
transport from anywhere on the ship... namely why have a transporter room.

   There seems to be many problems with using the transporter. Scottie complains
 to the good captain that to transport him on the ship itself there are great co
mplications (he may be transported into a wall without the precise coordinates).
< I hate to mention this but > those of you who are familair with Dr. Who may
remember that he had a similar trouble transporting the tardis on "these short
hops".
   The question also arises ...." how are the coordinates arrived at? "
As we all know the teleporter has a limited range.... does the teleporter use
the enterprise as (0,0,0) and remaps the sector they are entering or is all of s
pace mapped and the teleporter can attempt to teleport across the universe but
just looses the person at the end of the range??????
any suggestions -- your all better read than I am..

                                Drew Herman
 silly quote
the greater part of the public professors have, for these many years, given up
    altogether the pretence of teaching.--Adam Smith 'Father of Capitalism'

maurice@nmtvax.UUCP (05/03/85)

>There seems to be many problems with using the transporter. Scottie complains
>to the good captain that to transport him on the ship itself there are great
>complications (he may be transported into a wall without the precise coordinat
es).

     If that is such a problem at close range, then why do they always
get beamed onto the surface of a planet exactly (not knee deep or midair)?
The distance to the planet is on the order of several thousand kilometers
whereas the starship is only several hundred meters at most. If accuracy
is the question, shouldn't it be better closer in? They have a better
knowledge of the ships layout where the walls are. If they can find
a good place to park them on the planet (or a cavern deep inside a
planet (ST:TWOK)) when they beam them, they why should a starship they
are on be so hard?

    Roger Levasseur

ugzannin@sunybcs.UUCP (Adrian Zannin) (05/05/85)

>    The question also arises ...." how are the coordinates arrived at? "
> As we all know the teleporter has a limited range.... does the teleporter use
> the enterprise as (0,0,0) and remaps the sector they are entering or is all of s
> pace mapped and the teleporter can attempt to teleport across the universe but
> just looses the person at the end of the range??????
> any suggestions -- your all better read than I am..
>
>                                 Drew Herman
   I would think that they would use the Enterprise (actually some point in
the transparter chamber) as the point (0,0,0).  If you go by the asumption
that all of space is mapped, that would mean that they couldn't use the
transporter in regions of space that have never been charted before.
Anyone agree/disagree?

--
     Adrian Zannin

 ..{burdvax,rocksvax,bbncca,decvax,dual,rocksanne,watmath}!sunybcs!ugzannin
BITNET:  CS24173@SUNYABVA

guads@nmtvax.UUCP (05/08/85)

In article <> ugzannin@sunybcs.UUCP (Adrian Zannin) writes:

>   I would think that they would use the Enterprise (actually some point in
>the transparter chamber) as the point (0,0,0).  If you go by the asumption
>that all of space is mapped, that would mean that they couldn't use the
>transporter in regions of space that have never been charted before.
>Anyone agree/disagree?
>
>     Adrian Zannin

Why wouldn't they be able to use it in uncharted space?  Coordinates are
based on distance from the origin (0,0,0), so what has this to do with
being able to transport or not?  Just punch in each respective "distance"
(x,y,z) from the transporter platform and zip 'em off!  Of course, they
would have to know the distance to the beam-down point, but that could be
taken care of with short-range sensors...

--
                                -Lautzy (Romulan)
                              ...unmvax!nmtvax!guads

ry@brunix.UUCP (Rich Yampell) (05/08/85)

In article <1646@sunybcs.UUCP> ugzannin@sunybcs.UUCP (Adrian Zannin) writes:
>>    The question also arises ...." how are the coordinates arrived at? "

>   I would think that they would use the Enterprise (actually some point in
>the transparter chamber) as the point (0,0,0).  If you go by the asumption
>that all of space is mapped, that would mean that they couldn't use the
>transporter in regions of space that have never been charted before.
>Anyone agree/disagree?

On the other hand, if they used the enterprise, or some point therein,
as (0,0,0), then the coordinate of any given beam-down point is constantly
changing as the enterprise moves.  That would mean, for example, that you
could only beam down to a planet if the ship were in a perfectly
synchronized orbit, or some such thing.

Off the top of my head, I suggest another alternative (there are always
alternatives).  Perhaps (0,0,0) is selected for any given context by a set
of standard conventions.  For example, while orbiting a planet, the exact
center of the planet is chosen as (0,0,0).  In other words, pick something
which is *relatively* stable vis-a-vis position, and make that (0,0,0).
That would explain the difficulties in intra-ship beaming, since if the ship
is both source and destination, and is moving at high speed, there is no
relatively stable reference point.  And then, in retort to any attempts to
say that they could compensate since they know how fast they are going, or
some such thing, I would answer, "yeah, but that's a special case, and when
the starfleet hackers put together the programs for the transporter, they
never thought of it, so you have to take your chances with the existing code
and hope it gets it right (the chances of which are vastly improved if the
camera is watching; even though its supposed to be dangerous, we've never
actually seen it fail)"

			rich yampell