[net.startrek] Transporter uses...and abuses...

captain@spock.UUCP (John Griffin '87 cc) (05/01/85)

I had a discussion with some friends recently, and the actual mechanics
of the transporter came into the discussion.  Since the transporter
makes a "blueprint" of the transportee, and, in the ST animated episode
the "blueprint" can be used to re-reconstruct a person, how does the
transporter make this "blueprint"?  Is every single cell of the person codified
and filed in the memory banks of the transporter (multo memory!)?  If so,
some system for determining which little impulse corresponds to a certain
memory, feeling, or thought in a person's mind.  Since someone had to program
the transporter to store this info in a recallable method, someone must
be able to translate the "code".  Therefore, some way must exist to CREATE
entirely new materials out of the transporter, simply by "mix and match" of
these impulses.  Should the Enterprise need dilithum (all the much easier
to create because of its elemental nature) Scotty needs only to throw
some garbage on the transporter, and punch up the code for dilithium.  The
transporter then breaks down the garbage into energy, reforms it as matter
in dilithium format...voila!  New dilithium.  Unlimited resources...even the
creation of new people (if someone had the patience to program him) would
be possible.  Does this seem possible?  Comments?

"A captain's first responsibility is to his starship."

tar@mtung.UUCP (Tim Rock) (05/07/85)

Being able to transport something and store the information about
it are two different things.  An example of this is your favorite
network.  The network does not have the ability to store all the
information that it transfers from point to point.  It delivers it
in parts becoming effectively a pipeline.  The cost/technology to
have a network store the complete copy of the transferred file
would be prohibitive.

I would imagine that the amount of information needed to reconstruct
you would be beyond our comprehension, definitely exceeding
a starship's ability to store.  Yet by just passing the information
along, one can deliver this abundance of information.

This explaination is not consistant with all the star trek episodes.
I seem to recall one where someone was started to be transported
and they totally left the transporter room.  They ended up able
to bring them back.  Unless they brought him back after he was
delivered, this would imply that the transporter room is capable
of storing the information nessecary to recontruct someone.

The ability to reconstruct star ship fuel may require more fuel
to perform the conversion than it generates.  Its like having
a process for making gold out of lead that costs more than the
gold produced.

Tim Rock AT&T IS Holmdel NJ mtung!tar

edward@ukma.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) (05/08/85)

In article <559@mtung.UUCP>, tar@mtung.UUCP (Tim Rock) writes:

> I would imagine that the amount of information needed to reconstruct
> you would be beyond our comprehension, definitely exceeding
> a starship's ability to store.  Yet by just passing the information
> along, one can deliver this abundance of information.
>
> Tim Rock AT&T IS Holmdel NJ mtung!tar

	In the episode "The Day of the Dove", when Scotty beams everyone
up from the planet, he leaves the Klingons 'in' the transporter until
enough security personal can be summoned to ensure a 'safe'
materialization.

	So at least in DoD the transporter can 'store' several people.

resident trekker,

--
edward

		 {ucbvax,unmvax,boulder,research}!anlams! -|
			{mcvax!qtlon,vax135,mddc}!qusavx! -|-->	ukma!edward
     {decvax,ihnp4,mhuxt,clyde,osu-eddie,ulysses}!cbosgd! -|

	"Well, what's on the television then?"
	"Looks like a penguin."

	()

        |--		Support barrier free design