[net.startrek] Slaver Weapons and Space Suits

kevin@voder.UUCP (The Last Bugfighter) (05/09/85)

In article <263@osiris.UUCP> rob@osiris.UUCP (Robert St. Amant) writes:

> That episode was a direct steal from "The Soft Weapon," in Niven's
> _Neutron Star_ collection.

   How can it be stolen when the episode was written by Niven?  In Star Trek
Log 10 by Alan Dean Foster the copyright page states `This book is based in
part on the short story ``The Soft Weapon'' by Larry Niven'.  The title page
states `SLAVER WEAPON (Adapted from a script by Larry Niven)', so I don't
think anyone stole anything.

> I think screenplays that draw on real science fiction in this way are
> sort of interesting.  The only other example I can think of is "Arena",
> originally a story by Frederick Brown.

     Yes. I remember my delight in seeing the sandworm skeleton in Star
Wars, and hearing Capt. Cristopher Pike being paged in a Buck Rogers space
port.  The interesting thing about the Slaver Weapon episode is that it
gave the viewer a glimpse of what appears to be a totally different aspect
of the Star Trek universe, co-existing within it (of course the original
story was not written for Star Trek).

> One last thought:  In this cartoon, they showed Kirk and co. on the
> planet, which had no atmosphere.  Instead of putting them in space suits,
> each crew man was surrounded by a shimmering shield, generated by a little
> box on the belt.  Kind of a whole body halo.  I thought that was a pretty
> clean way of doing things.  Better than the bee keeper suits the TV Trek
> crew had to wear in one episode.

     I agree!  If there is anything I can't stand it's those stupid space
suits they use in the Star Trek movies.  They look like a cross between the
next-generation space shuttle suit and a suit of armor.  Surely by the 23rd
century they'll have something better than that!  Especially what with their
being such wizards with anti-gravity, anti-matter, force-fields, transporters,
etc...

---
Kevin Thompson   {ucbvax,ihnp4!nsc}!voder!kevin

"It's sort of a threat, you see.  I've never been very good at them
  myself but I'm told they can be very effective."