[net.startrek] How the Kobiyashi Maru was a Klingon plot using only 3 ships!

kevin@voder.UUCP (The Last Bugfighter) (04/30/85)

In article <419@psivax.UUCP> friesen@psivax.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) writes:

>      You are essentially correct, since three points(ships) only
> define a plane. The correct number for the ambush is FOUR ships,
> so that they can englobe the E in a tetrahedron and prevent escape
> by covering all exit routes. This is in fact the number used in the
> book, but for some reason they changed it for the movie.

   Why did they use only three Klingon ships in the movie?  SIMPLE!  They
used stock footage from the opening of STI-TMP and it only had three ships!

---
Kevin Thompson   {ucbvax,ihnp4!nsc}!voder!kevin

"It's sort of a threat, you see.  I've never been very good at them
  myself but I'm told they can be very effective."

ugzannin@sunybcs.UUCP (Adrian Zannin) (05/10/85)

> In article <626@ssc-vax.UUCP> wanttaja@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ronald J Wanttaja) writes:
>
> >I can't believe that three Klingon cruisers would have been able to ambush
> >and trap the ship...
>
> In article <419@psivax.UUCP> friesen@psivax.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) writes:
>
> >      You are essentially correct, since three points(ships) only
> > define a plane. The correct number for the ambush is FOUR ships,
> > so that they can englobe the E in a tetrahedron and prevent escape
> > by covering all exit routes. This is in fact the number used in the
> > book, but for some reason they changed it for the movie.
>

>    Why did they use only three Klingon ships in the movie?  SIMPLE!  They
> used stock footage from the opening of STI-TMP and it only had three ships!

   If you recall, the same blunder (using only three ships to surround the
Enterprise) was commited in "The Enterprise Incident", you know, the one where
Spock gets all googley-eyed over that female Romulan commander...

--
     Adrian Zannin

 ..{burdvax,rocksvax,bbncca,decvax,dual,rocksanne,watmath}!sunybcs!ugzannin
BITNET:  CS24173@SUNYABVA