[net.startrek] inconsistency in PA

gmp@rayssd.UUCP (05/09/85)

In episode #47, "A Piece of the Action," after Kirk instructs Spock and McCoy
to return to the Enterprise, they commandeer a local radio station.  How is it
that they can hear Uhura's voice?  Is receiving equipment in the studio so that
the local D.J. can get instant feedback on her/his listeners' appreciation of
the program material?  Or is there some rational explanation I've overlooked.

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (05/10/85)

>From: gmp@rayssd.UUCP
>
>In episode #47, "A Piece of the Action," after Kirk instructs Spock and McCoy
>to return to the Enterprise, they commandeer a local radio station.  How is it
>that they can hear Uhura's voice?  Is receiving equipment in the studio so that
>the local D.J. can get instant feedback on her/his listeners' appreciation of
>the program material?  Or is there some rational explanation I've overlooked.

I don't know how a typical radio station of the 1930's worked, but assuming
it's similar to a modern one...

What you probably heard would have been the "air" monitor. When Spock
recalibrated the transmitter to signal the Enterprise, he could just have
easily reset the receiver which the station uses to monitor it's own
signal.

Are you sure, however, that they commandeered a radio station or just a
radio room with a transceiver in it. (Yes I remember how they tune in the
commercial for "Bang Bang- the sweetest little automatic in the world".)
I always thought it was a private transmitter maintained by Oxmix and
probably used for keeping in touch with his "boys" in the field.

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764