[net.startrek] I 'tink I'm going to be spacesick

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (04/24/85)

As long as we're talking about inconsistancies, let's mention the one that
crops up in almost *every* episode- how the Enterprise orbits a planet.

If you look at the viewscreen on the bridge, the planet is always turning
underneath the ship. The filler shots during the log entries, etc. show the
ship moving across the face of the planet with the saucer perpendicular to
the ground.

If the latter is the case, then the planet should show up on the left side
or even the top of the viewscreen. I have trouble believing that the screen
is "corrected" as this would be very disorienting to people on the bridge.

Does anyone care to even try to explain this one?

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

barnett@ut-sally.UUCP (Lewis Barnett) (04/25/85)

> If you look at the viewscreen on the bridge, the planet is always turning
> underneath the ship. The filler shots during the log entries, etc. show the
> ship moving across the face of the planet with the saucer perpendicular to
> the ground.
>
> If the latter is the case, then the planet should show up on the left side
> or even the top of the viewscreen. I have trouble believing that the screen
> is "corrected" as this would be very disorienting to people on the bridge.
>
> Does anyone care to even try to explain this one?
>
> Name:		John Ruschmeyer
> UUCP:		...!vax135!petsd!moncol!john	...!princeton!moncol!john
> 						   ...!pesnta!moncol!john

Hmmm... Would _you_ build a viewscreen that could only be connected
to _one_ camera?

It seems reasonable to me to have visual sensors that operate in ALL
directions -- interesting things aren't always going to cooperate and
approach the Enterprise from head on, right?  And, while in orbit,
the most interesting thing is the planet's surface, so that's what
they put up on the screen.  Reasonable?

Lewis Barnett,CS Dept, Painter Hall 3.28, Univ. of Texas, Austin, TX 78712

-- barnett@ut-sally.ARPA, barnett@ut-sally.UUCP,
      {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!ut-sally!barnett

In article <267@moncol.UUCP> john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) writes:
>As long as we're talking about inconsistancies, let's mention the one that
>crops up in almost *every* episode- how the Enterprise orbits a planet.
>
>If you look at the viewscreen on the bridge, the planet is always turning
>underneath the ship. The filler shots during the log entries, etc. show the
>ship moving across the face of the planet with the saucer perpendicular to
>the ground.
>
>If the latter is the case, then the planet should show up on the left side
>or even the top of the viewscreen. I have trouble believing that the screen
>is "corrected" as this would be very disorienting to people on the bridge.

	Actually this may well be the case, the viewscreen is *not*
a window, it is a computer display. It may be set to show any
arbitrary view, as in several episodes where Kirk orders a *rear*
view, which then shows up on the screen the same as a front view.
Or how about the episodes in which it is used for a data display,
such as a "map" of a solar system. There is no particular reason
why it should always "face" forward.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
or {ttdica|quad1|bellcore|scgvaxd}!psivax!friesen

wb@hou4a.UUCP (W.Baumgartner) (04/26/85)

(views not matching ship orientation)

I always thought the screen is just that, a screen (CRT, projection,
whatever). The images on it are views from cameras at various locations
on the ship. This is supported by the fact that Kirk has ordered
different magnification factors in some episodes. I never thought
the screen was a window, so the "inconsistancy" does not exist
as far as I can see.

				Werner B. hou4a!wb

joe@ut-sally.UUCP (Joe Hitchens) (04/27/85)

> As long as we're talking about inconsistancies, let's mention the one that
> crops up in almost *every* episode- how the Enterprise orbits a planet.
>
> If you look at the viewscreen on the bridge, the planet is always turning
> underneath the ship. The filler shots during the log entries, etc. show the
> ship moving across the face of the planet with the saucer perpendicular to
> the ground.

	That's interesting. I hadn't really noticed that but you're right.
However, since we know that the viewscreen can be rotated around in a full
circle, looking front to side to back to other side and front again, as
long as the planet on the screen didn't appear to be rotating "away" or
"towards" the viewer, we could assume that the screen was looking out the
side toward the planet. No?

	Joe Hitchens
"A man needs a maid ..." - Neil Young

lethin@yale.ARPA (Richard A. Lethin) (04/27/85)

>If you look at the viewscreen on the bridge, the planet is always turning
>underneath the ship. The filler shots during the log entries, etc. show the
>ship moving across the face of the planet with the saucer perpendicular to
>the ground.
>
>If the latter is the case, then the planet should show up on the left side
>or even the top of the viewscreen. I have trouble believing that the screen
>is "corrected" as this would be very disorienting to people on the bridge.
>
>Does anyone care to even try to explain this one?
>
>Name:          John Ruschmeyer

If I recall my "blueprint" correctly, doesn't the bridge face not forward, but
rather at some angle.  This seems to imply that the viewscreen IS corrected.

However, this implies another inconsistency.  Shouldn't the crew lean to the
side as the ship accelerates to warp 10, rather than back into their chairs?
(... assuming that warp acceleration is like real acceleration!)

--
Rich Lethin
...decvax!yale!lethin

jin@hplabs.UUCP (Tai Jin) (04/30/85)

The real question is:  how does the starship get views of far away places?
in some episode (or it might be one of the movies), a starbase is being
attacked and the enterprise gets to see what's happening.  fine, the starbase
is transmitting the pictures.  then after the starbase is destroyed the
enterprise continues to get the same view.  where do they get it from?

naiman@pegasus.UUCP (Ephrayim J. Naiman) (05/01/85)

<I BRAKE FOR TAILGATERS>

> The real question is:  how does the starship get views of far away places?
> in some episode (or it might be one of the movies), a starbase is being
> attacked and the enterprise gets to see what's happening.  fine, the starbase
> is transmitting the pictures.  then after the starbase is destroyed the
> enterprise continues to get the same view.  where do they get it from?

I thought that after the starbase is destroyed, the Enterprise
just sees stars which could be the stars from the Enterprise's area.

What episode are we/you talking about ?
--
==> Ephrayim J. Naiman @ AT&T Information Systems Laboratories (201) 576-6259
Paths: [ihnp4, allegra, ahuta, maxvax, cbosgd, lzmi, ...]!pegasus!naiman

zubbie@ihlpa.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) (05/02/85)

> > If you look at the viewscreen on the bridge, the planet is always turning
> > underneath the ship. The filler shots during the log entries, etc. show the
> > ship moving across the face of the planet with the saucer perpendicular to
> > the ground.
> >
> > If the latter is the case, then the planet should show up on the left side
> > or even the top of the viewscreen. I have trouble believing that the screen
> > is "corrected" as this would be very disorienting to people on the bridge.
> >
> > Does anyone care to even try to explain this one?
> >
> > Name:		John Ruschmeyer
> > UUCP:		...!vax135!petsd!moncol!john	...!princeton!moncol!john
> > 						   ...!pesnta!moncol!john
>
> Hmmm... Would _you_ build a viewscreen that could only be connected
> to _one_ camera?
>
> It seems reasonable to me to have visual sensors that operate in ALL
> directions -- interesting things aren't always going to cooperate and
> approach the Enterprise from head on, right?  And, while in orbit,
> the most interesting thing is the planet's surface, so that's what
> they put up on the screen.  Reasonable?
>

> Lewis Barnett,CS Dept, Painter Hall 3.28, Univ. of Texas, Austin, TX 78712
>
> -- barnett@ut-sally.ARPA, barnett@ut-sally.UUCP,
>       {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!ut-sally!barnett

*** THIS LINE WITH YOUR REPLACE MESSAGE ***

If you refer to the scene in the movie which has the Enterprise manuvering
in a nebula the main thought is that Khan has a 2 dimensional idea of
battle tactics and so movement in the y direction is Jim's means of
sneaking up on him for the kill.

It should be obvioius that here is a good case of the same thing.
The orientation of the Enterprose really has no relation to the
view shown in the main screen ( assuming that it is not a window.)
since space crews by that time will need to be able to envision
their environment in 3 dimensions. Except for any pilots among us
I dont think too many people are comfortable in doing this.

jeanette l. zobjeck
ihnp4!ihlpa!zubbie

ry@brunix.UUCP (Rich Yampell) (05/05/85)

>> The real question is:  how does the starship get views of far away places?
>> in some episode (or it might be one of the movies), a starbase is being
>> attacked and the enterprise gets to see what's happening.  fine, the starbase
>> is transmitting the pictures.  then after the starbase is destroyed the
>> enterprise continues to get the same view.  where do they get it from?
>
>I thought that after the starbase is destroyed, the Enterprise
>just sees stars which could be the stars from the Enterprise's area.
>
>What episode are we/you talking about ?

I am sure that I saw the same problem.  I am fairly certain it was in the
episiode "Balance of Terror", when the Romulan ship blows up the federation
space station.  I am reasonably sure that I remember the sequence as follows:

The enterprise is recieving transmission from the base.
They show the Romulan ship coming in for another attack
	(presumably being relayed from the base)
Blinding light, and the base is destroyed.
They show the Romulan ship fading out -- that is, turning on its cloak.

The point is, it wasn't just the view of the Enterprise's area, because
we see the Romulan ship fade out.  And the base was destroyed, so they
couldn't be broadcasting.  Hmmmm, problem.

Of course, if I'm mistaken in any of this, I'm sure someone will obligingly
correct me!! :)

			Rich Yampell

guads@nmtvax.UUCP (05/05/85)

>> The real question is:  how does the starship get views of far away places?
>> in some episode (or it might be one of the movies), a starbase is being
>> attacked and the enterprise gets to see what's happening. fine, the starbase
>> is transmitting the pictures.  then after the starbase is destroyed the
>> enterprise continues to get the same view.  where do they get it from?
>
>I thought that after the starbase is destroyed, the Enterprise
>just sees stars which could be the stars from the Enterprise's area.
>
>What episode are we/you talking about ?

He is talking about "Balance of Terror," I believe.  This is the episode in
which the Romulans blow up all those starbases with their new weapon.  Also
their ship has the ability to become invisible.  In this episode, when the
starbase is destroyed, it takes about ten seconds for the base to stop
transmitting the picture of the Romulan ship leaving; then the screen fades
into a picture of stars.

--
                                -Lautzy (Romulan)
                              ...unmvax!nmtvax!guads

root@trwatf.UUCP (Lord Frith) (05/06/85)

> As long as we're talking about inconsistancies, let's mention the one that
> crops up in almost *every* episode- how the Enterprise orbits a planet.
>
> If you look at the viewscreen on the bridge, the planet is always turning
> underneath the ship. The filler shots during the log entries, etc. show the
> ship moving across the face of the planet with the saucer perpendicular to
> the ground.
>
> Does anyone care to even try to explain this one?

Easy.  The viewscreen has MANY cameras hooked into it... one aft, one
starboard, one port (the one that always points at the planet they are
orbiting) and so forth.  Recall in one of the episodes that Kirk has
Sulu give him a look aft by switching to the viewscreen aft.
--

UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!trwatf!root	- Lord Frith
ARPA: trwatf!root@SEISMO

"Markland needs women!"

josie@ihuxw.UUCP (Johanna Clementz) (05/08/85)

> >> The real question is:  how does the starship get views of far away places?
> >> in some episode (or it might be one of the movies), a starbase is being
> >> attacked and the enterprise gets to see what's happening.  fine, the starbase
> >> is transmitting the pictures.  then after the starbase is destroyed the
> >> enterprise continues to get the same view.  where do they get it from?
> >
> >I thought that after the starbase is destroyed, the Enterprise
> >just sees stars which could be the stars from the Enterprise's area.
> >
> >What episode are we/you talking about ?

This may be from ST:TMP - where we see Science Station Epsilon 9
being attacked by V'ger. We see the station "patterned" (destroyed),
but then we continue to see V'ger afterwards. This also happened
earlier in the movie when Epsilon 9 was picking up video from a
Klingon ship being attacked by V'ger, and continued to receive
the images after the ship was destroyed.

This may be another one of those damn "inconsistencies" that
I hate to acknowledge.

					Josie Clementz
					AT&T Bell Labs
					Naperville, IL
					(...!ihuxw!josie)

--

				Josie Clementz
				AT&T Bell Laboratories

zubbie@ihlpa.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) (05/11/85)

> > >I thought that after the starbase is destroyed, the Enterprise
> > >just sees stars which could be the stars from the Enterprise's area.
> > >
> > >What episode are we/you talking about ?
>
> This may be from ST:TMP - where we see Science Station Epsilon 9
> being attacked by V'ger. We see the station "patterned" (destroyed),
> but then we continue to see V'ger afterwards. This also happened
> earlier in the movie when Epsilon 9 was picking up video from a
> Klingon ship being attacked by V'ger, and continued to receive
> the images after the ship was destroyed.
>
> This may be another one of those damn "inconsistencies" that
> I hate to acknowledge.
>
> 					Josie Clementz
> 					AT&T Bell Labs
> 					Naperville, IL
> 					(...!ihuxw!josie)
>
> --
>
> 				Josie Clementz
> 				AT&T Bell Laboratories
> 				Naperville, IL
> 				(...ihuxw!josie)

I believe e.e.smith solved that inconsistency in the SKYLARK series
by simply using an energy lenses which was **physicaly** present
near the scene to be viewed, it also worked for projection of
holographic images. Of course such an item was practical only
when resting on a base of planetary dimensions because anything
smaller, with a smaller baseline, caused the lense to swing about
to erratically. Hence a starbase or planet could mount such an
apparatus and use it to relay picture and sounds from afar while
a starship could not. Also as it would take time for such a large
enrgy creation to die it is consistent then that images would continue
for some useful length of time after the generating device ceased to
be.
For further information I believe ( but may be mistaken) ( I have
a good record for that) all this took place in the third novel of
the series unfortunately I dont remember the title and I am not
at home to go look at the book.

jeanette zobjeck
ihnp4!ihlpa!zubbie