[net.startrek] Enterprise vs. Gallactica

don@umd5.UUCP (05/15/85)

In article <705@umn-cs.UUCP> goldman@umn-cs.UUCP (Matthew D. Goldman ) writes:
>If you will remember the episode with two battlestars,  the only reason
>that the Battlestar Galactica was not able to go FTL was for lack of fuel.
>The Galactica had a higher rate of fire and a few fighter squadrons.

According to my memory, characters often referred to the Galactica as
"going to light-speed". In the Star Trek Universe, this would be Warp 1.
The Enterprise (in the series) could do Warp 6 , which is more than six
times as fast as Warp 1 - Warp 1 is 1 X the speed of light , while
Warp 6 is 6^3 X the speed of light... If you think the old Enterprise
was bad , could you imagine what the new & improved Enterprise would
do ?

--
--==---==---==--
"Space, the final frontier ..."

  ARPA: umd5!don@maryland.ARPA
BITNET: don%umd5@umd2
 CSNET: don@umd5
SPOKEN: Chris Sylvain (transient user of Don Preuss' account)
  UUCP: {seismo, rlgvax, allegra, brl-bmd, nrl-css}!umcp-cs!cvl!umd5!don

rob@osiris.UUCP (Robert St. Amant) (05/17/85)

> The Enterprise (in the series) could do Warp 6 , which is more than six
> times as fast as Warp 1 - Warp 1 is 1 X the speed of light , while
> Warp 6 is 6^3 X the speed of light...
>
> SPOKEN: Chris Sylvain (transient user of Don Preuss' account)

I've never been able to figure out how the warp numbers correspond to
speed.  Kirk is fond of cruising away at the end of episodes at
warp factor two.  That doesn't sound too fast.  On a five year mission,
they ought to hit more than three or four planets. :-)  Also, what's
the fastest the Enterprise has ever gone?  Didn't some alien, or maybe
Nomad, soup it up to warp 16 or so?

				Rob St. Amant