[net.startrek] A new transporter question

evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (05/07/85)

OK, I just recently was watching a clip from STII where Chekov and his
black captain (whose name escapes me) beam down to Ceti Alpha V into a
duststorm.  My question is what if they materialize inside a dustcloud,
or worse, if one materializes inside them.  Why would that be so different
than materializing in a rock or bulkhead?

--Evan Marcus

--

{ucbvax|decvax}!vax135!petsd!pedsgd!pedsga!evan
                         ...!petfe!evan

There are two kinds of people in the world, those who divide people into two
kinds, and those who don't.

ry@brunix.UUCP (Rich Yampell) (05/08/85)

In article <257@petfe.UUCP> evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) writes:
>OK, I just recently was watching a clip from STII where Chekov and his
>black captain (whose name escapes me) beam down to Ceti Alpha V into a
>duststorm.  My question is what if they materialize inside a dustcloud,
>or worse, if one materializes inside them.  Why would that be so different
>than materializing in a rock or bulkhead?

Well, actually, I've never understood that whole issue.  When someone beams
down normally, there is air where they materialize, and I don't suspect that
it would be real healthy to have your body fused with air any more than dust
or whatever.  So it must be the case that the transporter sets up a vacuum
at the destination location before it starts reassembling the transportee.

		rich yampell

cej@ll1.UUCP (One of the Jones Boys) (05/14/85)

> In article <257@petfe.UUCP> evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) writes:
> OK, I just recently was watching a clip from STII where Chekov and his
> black captain (whose name escapes me) beam down to Ceti Alpha V into a
> duststorm.  My question is what if they materialize inside a dustcloud,
> or worse, if one materializes inside them.  Why would that be so
> different than materializing in a rock or bulkhead?

	My understanding was that any matter, including air, in the
area of the "sparkle" was "exchanged" for the person, and the air
surrounding him, comming from the transporter.

	Thus, you could be transported into solid rock, and would
survive!  You would, however, be hopelessly entombed in the rock.
This process would seem to also leave a column of rock standing on
the transporter platform.
	discalimer:  no sane man thinks as I do

...ihnp4!mgnetp!ll1!cej		Llewellyn Jones

rob@osiris.UUCP (Robert St. Amant) (05/17/85)

> 	My understanding was that any matter, including air, in the
> area of the "sparkle" was "exchanged" for the person, and the air
> surrounding him, comming from the transporter.
>
> 	Thus, you could be transported into solid rock, and would
> survive!  You would, however, be hopelessly entombed in the rock.
> This process would seem to also leave a column of rock standing on
> the transporter platform.
>
> ...ihnp4!mgnetp!ll1!cej		Llewellyn Jones

You can't _really_ do it that way, from a practical view.  You'd
transport up all kinds of vicious bacteria and noxious atmosphere.
And remember when Kirk had a couple of guys beam down to a planet
that they weren't orbiting anymore?  Scotty would hear a huge
pop where their bodies had been.

Scotty:  "Captin, ye've doon it agin."
Kirk:    "You mean those two men. . ."
Scotty:  "Aye."

				Rob St. Amant

ps.  What did Spock find in the toilet?
pps.  Why did Kirk pee on the ceiling?
ppps.  What do the Enterprise and toilet paper have in common?
pppps.  Know any other Trek riddles?