[net.startrek] Enterprise vs. Galactica

trudel@topaz.ARPA (Jonathan) (05/04/85)

<oh, mighty line-eater, acept this meager offering>

>Others, linke in Battlestart Gallactica, where the
>good-ship whatever is like an aircraft carrier.
>
>Now, what would happen if the Enterprize did battle against the Gallactica?
>{uw-beaver|adiron|cesonix|argus|purdue}!ssc-vax!jayt

Well, I think that this one would be pretty one-sided.  Being that the
Enterprise has warp drive and all the power it needs, and the Galactica can
only attain lightspeed and constantly needs fuel, the Enterprise would win.

Yes, the Enterprise is only one ship, and the Galactica has all its Vipers,
but there is no way the Galactica is going to win.  All the Enterprise has to
do is toast the Galactica's landing bays, as did many a Cylon, and the
Galactica becomes almost helpless.  The Enterprise can then warp away,
leaving the vipers to die when their fuel runs out.

I would think a better contest would emerge between the Enterprise and (dare
I say it?) the Death Star?  Let's hear more on this...

It would figure that the Galacticans would get into a fight with the
so-called thirteenth tribe when they found it (no flames about Gal. 1980,
please)

					Jonathan D. Trudel
					A moose once bit my sister...

fung@daemen.UUCP (Kenneth Worzel Fung) (05/07/85)

> In the sci-fi shows of late, there seems to be two types of fighting
> taking place.  One, like in Star Trek, where the good-ship whatever is
> the combat unit.  Others, linke in Battlestar Galactica, where the
> good-ship whatever is like an aircraft carrier.
>
> Now, what would happen if the Enterprise did battle against the Galactica?

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR WARSHIP ***

	The idea has been in fandom for many years now, and the scenerio which
	you ask for has thousands of snags. First off, how can a ship traveling
	at warp speeds be harmed by a sub-light carrier. (Battlestars). How
	fighters (i.e. Vipers) hit such a ship. How could a battlestar gain a
	successful hit versus defector shields. Etc....

	Try this. Put both units on equal technological terms (The Enterprise
	on a lower technology scale), give them room, and watch out. In my
	opinion, (in the above scenerio), there would be two possible outcomes:
		1.) The Enterprise would win, but it would be one hurting ship.
		2.) Moot-point. They would negotiate a peace. (Wimps!)
--
          		Kenneth "Worzel" Fung

		"For the Eternal Space--Mobile Suit Gundam"

UUCP : {decvax/dual/rocksanne/watmath/rocksvax} !sunybcs!daemen!fung

	"...to be destroyed by an Earthling, a mere girl, an American even,
	would make him the laughing stock of the Universe!"

ggc@myriasb.UUCP (Gilles Chartrand) (05/08/85)

> Enterprise has warp drive and all the power it needs, and the Galactica can
> only attain lightspeed and constantly needs fuel, the Enterprise would win.

	It seems an invalid assumption to state that the Galactica can
only attain light speed.  If this were the case it would have taken
many centuries to encounter all the planets that it did in the movie
and TV show.  I know that the movie mentioned "light speed" but he
could have been meening something like "enter_super_drive_that_
exeeds_light_speed_by_a_facter_of_10".  Somethink like Kirk saying
"Warp speed Mr. Sulu".

	Of course, even with the equivalent of warp speed, the Galactica
wouldn't have hope of destroying the Enterprise.  It would be atomic
particles before it could even scramble it's fighters.

				Gilles
				...alberta!myriasb!ggc

ry@brunix.UUCP (Rich Yampell) (05/08/85)

In article <1884@topaz.ARPA> trudel@topaz.UUCP (Jonathan) writes:

>I would think a better contest would emerge between the Enterprise and (dare
>I say it?) the Death Star?  Let's hear more on this...

I think the Enterprise could take out the Death Star, no prob.

With the exception of the actual wail-on-planets beam, all the weaponry in
the Star Wars world is aimed by hand, with possible help from a "target
computer".  How is anyone gonna aim and hit a ship traveling at warp speed?

The wail-on-planets beam, takes a long time to set up and fire, so that
could probably be taken out by one quick attack.

As with Battlestars, the little attack ships would be just mosquitos to the
Enterprise.

Actually, the only ship that the Enterprise wouldn't be able to handle would
be the Millenium Falcon.  :) :) :)

Or a flying Chrysler [from the Saturday Night sketch, with Belushi as Kirk
and Chevy Chase as Spock] :) :) :)

			rich yampell

trudel@topaz.ARPA (Jonathan) (05/09/85)

lhlhlhlhlhlh
--

Jonathan D. Trudel
arpa:trudel@ru-blue.arpa

john@hp-pcd.UUCP (john) (05/12/85)

<<<<

  Kirk and Co. are cruising through space and come across the Death Star.
Thinking it is a strange new planet, they beam down the standard landing
party of 4 regulars and a red shirt who is quickly wasted by Darth Vader.
The rest of the episode is consists of our heroes breaking out of the
imperial detention cell and sabotaging the Death Stars main weapon by
reverse phasing the steering beams.

 Scotty, who has been keeping the Big E aloft by cross coupling the anti-
matter pods with the tractor beam into the shields to keep the Death Star
from pulling them in, now beams up the landing party. Kirk orders the
Big E to a nose dive toward the DS knowing full well that they will reverse
their tractor beam to push the Big E into the target zone of their big
weapon. But when they fire it, the misdirected beam slices into the main
reactor and blow the death star into a zillion pieces.

John Eaton
!hplabs!hp-pcd!john

arnold@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Ken Arnold%CGL) (05/14/85)

In article <388@myriasb.UUCP> ggc@myriasb.UUCP (Gilles Chartrand) writes:
>> Enterprise has warp drive and all the power it needs, and the Galactica can
>> only attain lightspeed and constantly needs fuel, the Enterprise would win.
>	It seems an invalid assumption to state that the Galactica can
>only attain light speed.  If this were the case it would have taken
>many centuries to encounter all the planets that it did in the movie
>and TV show.  I know that the movie mentioned "light speed" but he
>could have been meening something like "enter_super_drive_that_
>exeeds_light_speed_by_a_facter_of_10".  Somethink like Kirk saying
>"Warp speed Mr. Sulu".

It seems funny to take any even semi-technical term in Galactica with
any sense of seriousness or literalness.  "Enemy 23 microns and closing",
for example, or the use of "micron" as a unit of time in the same episode
(the pilot; the only thing of it I ever watched).  The Enterprise would
win because the get their science right at least 10% of the time.

		Ken Arnold

ron@wjvax.UUCP (Ron Christian) (05/16/85)

>	It seems an invalid assumption to state that the Galactica can
>only attain light speed.  If this were the case it would have taken
>many centuries to encounter all the planets that it did in the movie
>and TV show.

Well, many centuries of OUR time, but I'm surprised that no one has
mentioned time distortion due to traveling some fraction of the speed
of light.  The 'rag tag fleet' boosted up to speed and coasted for years
of subjective time, centuries of objective time.  (I'm sure this explanation
would never have occured to the writers.  Whadaya want, consistancy?)

Speaking of which, I wonder if this effect has ever been mentioned in
the ST universe?

Actually, it hurts a little to talk about the now-dead BG.  It could have
been *good*.  Glenn Larson should be boiled in viper fuel.
--
__
	Ron Christian  (Watkins-Johnson Co.  San Jose, Calif.)

jimc@haddock.UUCP (05/18/85)

/* Written 12:49 pm  May 16, 1985 by ron@wjvax in haddock:net.startrek */
> Speaking of which, I wonder if [the Einsteinan time dilation] effect
> has ever been mentioned in the ST universe?
>
> 	Ron Christian  (Watkins-Johnson Co.  San Jose, Calif.)
> 	{pesnta,twg,ios,qubix,turtlevax,tymix,vecpyr,certes}!wjvax!ron
> 	"What do you mean you backed it up the wrong direction???"
/* End of text from haddock:net.startrek */

	In a vague sort of way, yes.  In "The Cage"/"The Menagerie",
	Captain Christopher Pike referred to the warp drive as
	a "time warp."  Later in that same episode, one of the
	crewmembers told one of the human survivors on Talos IV
	that the "time barrier had been broken."  From what I can
	gather of this, the inhabitants of the Star Trek universe
	had found a way to bypass the time dilation problem
	when travelling at or near light speeds.  Certainly
	much of the limits imposed by the Einsteinian universe
	would had to have been overcome, so that the ship could
	exceed the speed of light.

				Jim Campbell
				..!{bbncca, harvard}!ima!haddock!jimc