[net.startrek] Enterprise vs Death Star

ccs020@ucdavis.UUCP (Kevin Chu) (05/09/85)

[]

Which Death Star are we talking about?  The one from _Star Wars_ or
from _The Return of the Jedi_.  The Jedi Death Star seemed to have
a faster firing/aim rate than the first one, so the Enterprise may
not be able to get off enough shots into the Death Star before it is
blown away.

Of course, who is to say what kind of effect that the anti-matter in
the photon torpedoes would have against the Death Star.  The problem
with this comparisan is that the two universes are not quite compatible.

Also, The Death Star exists "along time ago, in a galaxy far, far away"
while the Enterprise is in the future, in this galaxy.  :-)

Kevin Chu
ucbvax!ucdavis!vega!ccs020

/ex

gts@wjh12.UUCP (G. T. Samson) (05/10/85)

What about this?  Load a Genesis device onto the Enterprise, arm it, and beam
it into the heart of the Death Star.  Or just fire it like a photon torpedo
from a safe distance.

Of course, it might be wise to make sure the warp drive is in perfect working
order before you do this, so Spock doesn't have to die again :-).

And about the Galactica...was it a big gun it had, or some sort of torpedo?
I seem to remember that the Atlantia used two separate torpedoes on the two
base stars as it passed between them.

Also, I seem to remember from a book that the Galactica has limited hyper-
space jump capability.  Once, I think, it dumped two fighter squadrons to
protect the "rag-tag fleet" and "warped" to another spot to release another
squadron to take out a Cylon installation.  Is this real?

"Fire at will, Mr. Sulu"... the most frightening words in the universe.

Name:		G. T. Samson
Quote:		"No matter where you go...there you are." -- B. Banzai
Other_Quote:	"You speak treason!" "Fluently!" 	  -- The Doctor
ARPA:		gts@wjh12 [preferred] OR samson%h-sc4@harvard
USMail:		Lowell H-41, Harvard U., Cambridge, MA 02138

root@trwatf.UUCP (Lord Frith) (05/10/85)

> Which Death Star are we talking about?  The one from _Star Wars_ or
> from _The Return of the Jedi_.  The Jedi Death Star seemed to have
> a faster firing/aim rate than the first one, so the Enterprise may
> not be able to get off enough shots into the Death Star before it is
> blown away.

It's real hard to say.  After all, the Death Star in ROTJ only got off
ONE shot.  Another klduge to help the good guys win...  We are
confronted with the staggering concept of a now FULLY OPERATIONAL Death
Star... which only fires one shot.  It should have creamed the entirety
of the Rebel forces in no time flat.  Unless it had to sit around for a
half an hour to recharge the gun ... which I doubt.

> Of course, who is to say what kind of effect that the anti-matter in
> the photon torpedoes would have against the Death Star.  The problem
> with this comparisan is that the two universes are not quite compatible.

The Enterprise could have easily kidnapped the Emporer or Darth Vader
with the transporter.
--

UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!trwatf!root	- Lord Frith
ARPA: trwatf!root@SEISMO

Nasha Lutcha!

goldman@umn-cs.UUCP (Matthew D. Goldman ) (05/14/85)

In article <583@wjh12.UUCP> gts@wjh12.UUCP (G. T. Samson) writes:
>What about this?  Load a Genesis device onto the Enterprise, arm it, and beam
>it into the heart of the Death Star.  Or just fire it like a photon torpedo
>from a safe distance.

sigh, that's exactly what the people who created Genesis (talk about redundant
redundancy :-) don't want it used for.

>"Fire at will, Mr. Sulu"... the most frightening words in the universe.
>
>--
>Name:		G. T. Samson
>Quote:		"No matter where you go...there you are." -- B. Banzai
>Other_Quote:	"You speak treason!" "Fluently!" 	  -- The Doctor
>ARPA:		gts@wjh12 [preferred] OR samson%h-sc4@harvard
>USMail:		Lowell H-41, Harvard U., Cambridge, MA 02138

--
-------
				Matthew Goldman

Home is where you take your hat off...			Banzai!

root@trwatf.UUCP (Lord Frith) (05/14/85)

>> [Lord Frith]
>> It's real hard to say.  After all, the Death Star in ROTJ only got off
>> ONE shot.  Another klduge to help the good guys win...  We are
>> confronted with the staggering concept of a now FULLY OPERATIONAL Death
>> Star... which only fires one shot.  It should have creamed the entirety
>> of the Rebel forces in no time flat.  Unless it had to sit around for a
>> half an hour to recharge the gun ... which I doubt.

> I thought the Death Star (II) stopped shooting because the rebels
> decided to mix it up with the Imperial Fleet.... it just wouldn't do to
> be blowing your own ships out of the sky whilst trying to pick off
> rebels.

Ahh!  Good point.  If this is the case, though, you'd think that a vastly
superior starfleet could blow those rebel scum to kingdom come with their
turbo-lasers and TIE fighters.  I guess the force wasn't with them. ;-(

And somehow it doesn't seem out of character for the emporer to open fire
on the rebel fleet even if they WERE positioned in the midst of his OWN
starfleet.

Lucas' movies underestimate the power of technology turned to evil purposes.
How COULD a rag-tag little commando team outwit and outgun a FULL LEGION
of the emporer's finest troops.  Oh that's right... the good guys had a
legion of Ewoks..... BLECH!
--

UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!trwatf!root	- Lord Frith
ARPA: trwatf!root@SEISMO

Nasha Lutcha!

m1b@rayssd.UUCP (05/16/85)

	This scenario sounds similar to 'The Corbomite Manuever' --
monstrous sphere vs dinky Enterprise.  Kirk definitely did not
want to lock horns with that baby.

	Even though the Death Star took some time to aim its nasty
beam, it still had thousands of weapons on the surface (not just in
the trench, either) that could discourage the Enterprise from a
frontal assault (front of a sphere!!?? :-) ).  Since there isn't
information to the contrary, one should assume that the Death Star's
beam weapons have the same range as the Enterprise.

	Also, there seemed to be a fair number of TIE fighters on
board that at the very least could be used as cannon fodder.  There
might even be a star destroyer or two tucked away in the bowels of
the DS.  The TIE fighters could zip around and just ram the Enterprise;
eventually they would take their toll on the shields.  Also, I would
think that the Enterprise does not have infinite energy to power her
phasers -- would she have enough to destroy the Death Star?

	Han Solo mentioned the shields of the Millenium Falcon
giving out from assaults from TIE fighters so it's a safe assumption
that the DS would have similar energy shields to give it some pro-
tection from the Enterprise's weapons.

	I think a better pair off could be Nomad vs the Death Star,
but that might be rather one-sided with Nomad trashing the DS.
The Enterprise could face off with Vader's Super Star Destroyer --
that should be a more even match.

Joe Barone,	{allegra, decvax!brunix, linus, ccice5}!rayssd!m1b
Raytheon Co,	Submarine Signal Div., Box 330, Portsmouth, RI  02871

gts@wjh12.UUCP (G. T. Samson) (05/17/85)

> 	This scenario sounds similar to 'The Corbomite Manuever' --
> monstrous sphere vs dinky Enterprise.  Kirk definitely did not
> want to lock horns with that baby.
>
> Joe Barone,	{allegra, decvax!brunix, linus, ccice5}!rayssd!m1b

What about the First Federation "monstrous sphere" vs the Death Star?
THAT could get interesting.

Name:		G. T. Samson
Title:		The Evil MicroWizard
Quote:		"No matter where you go...there you are." -- B. Banzai
Other_Quote:	"You speak treason!" "Fluently!" 	  -- The Doctor
ARPA:		gts@wjh12 [preferred] OR samson%h-sc4@harvard
USMail:		Lowell N-43, Harvard U., Cambridge, MA 02138

showard@udenva.UUCP (showard) (05/20/85)

Of course the Enterprise would win!  They're the GOOD GUYS!

--Mr. Blore, the DJ who would not die!
aka Steve Howard, ...udenva!showard

sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) (05/22/85)

>It's real hard to say.  After all, the Death Star in ROTJ only got off
>ONE shot.  Another klduge to help the good guys win...  We are
>confronted with the staggering concept of a now FULLY OPERATIONAL Death
>Star... which only fires one shot.  It should have creamed the entirety
>of the Rebel forces in no time flat.  Unless it had to sit around for a
>half an hour to recharge the gun ... which I doubt.

Whoa buddy!

Remember the PLOT?  All the Emperor cared about was turning Luke, the only
person in the galaxy who could stand in his way.  This was done by slowly
destroying the attacking force, thus building Luke's anger in a most
insidious way.  If he had destroyed them all at once, Luke would have
probably given up.
--
-  Sean Casey				UUCP:	{cbosgd,anlams,hasmed}!ukma!sean
-  Department of Mathematics		ARPA:	ukma!sean@ANL-MCS.ARPA