[net.startrek] Inconsistency: the doors

adolph@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark Adolph) (05/06/85)

"No beach to walk on..."

Has anybody figured out how those doors work?  Do they have limited
telepathy, somewhat akin to the limited prescience of the Hitchhiker
elevators?  The episode that triggered this is "The Naked Time", in which
a sobbing Spock enters a room, the door closes and he leans back against
it.  Why doesn't it reopen and dump him out into the corridor on his
butt?

					-- Mark A.
					...{uw-beaver|fluke}!ssc-vax!adolph

	"1 + 1 = 1, for sufficiently small values of 1..."

rabson@harvard.ARPA (David Rabson) (05/07/85)

> "No beach to walk on..."
>
> Has anybody figured out how those doors work?  Do they have limited
> telepathy, somewhat akin to the limited prescience of the Hitchhiker
> elevators?  The episode that triggered this is "The Naked Time", in which
> a sobbing Spock enters a room, the door closes and he leans back against
> it.  Why doesn't it reopen and dump him out into the corridor on his
> butt?

No inconsistency at all.  The doors work on a very simple principle:
audio signal.  They only open when someone in their vicinity say
"wshhhh."   They close on the same signal.

ccrdave@ucdavis.UUCP (Lord Kahless) (05/08/85)

> Has anybody figured out how those doors work?  Do they have limited
> telepathy, somewhat akin to the limited prescience of the Hitchhiker
> elevators?  The episode that triggered this is "The Naked Time", in which
> a sobbing Spock enters a room, the door closes and he leans back against
> it.  Why doesn't it reopen and dump him out into the corridor on his
> butt?
>
> 					-- Mark A.
> 					...{uw-beaver|fluke}!ssc-vax!adolph
In one of the animated episodes, the one where the little guys on the
planet shrunk everyone, they show that the doors are opened by some sort of
photoelectric cells starting a couple inches off the ground.  Presumably,
the cells also stop at some point ... so the door can tell between somebody
leaning against the top of a door or the lower part of somebody's body
trying to walk out the door.

					Lord Kahless

erosenth@aecom.UUCP (Elazar Rosenthal) (05/10/85)

> Has anybody figured out how those doors work?  Do they have limited
> telepathy, somewhat akin to the limited prescience of the Hitchhiker
> elevators?  The episode that triggered this is "The Naked Time", in which
> a sobbing Spock enters a room, the door closes and he leans back against
> it.  Why doesn't it reopen and dump him out into the corridor on his
> butt?
>
> 					-- Mark A.

They probily are slightly intelegent
even today automatic lighting systems
do not respond to only one stimules
nce in one spot

root@trwatf.UUCP (Lord Frith) (05/10/85)

> Has anybody figured out how those doors work?  Do they have limited
> telepathy, somewhat akin to the limited prescience of the Hitchhiker
> elevators?  The episode that triggered this is "The Naked Time", in which
> a sobbing Spock enters a room, the door closes and he leans back against
> it.  Why doesn't it reopen and dump him out into the corridor on his
> butt?

These are no ordinary doors.  Two crewmen operate the doors from behind
the bulkheads.  With 430 men and women aboard, that means that there
would be about 215 automagic doors operational aboard the big E at any
one time.  Fewer, when principal characters are delivering dialogue on
the bridge.
--

UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!trwatf!root	- Lord Frith
ARPA: trwatf!root@SEISMO

Nasha Lutcha!

tli@oberon.UUCP (Tony Li) (05/11/85)

> Has anybody figured out how those doors work?  Do they have limited
> telepathy, somewhat akin to the limited prescience of the Hitchhiker
> elevators?  The episode that triggered this is "The Naked Time", in which
> a sobbing Spock enters a room, the door closes and he leans back against
> it.  Why doesn't it reopen and dump him out into the corridor on his
> butt?
> 					-- Mark A.
> 					...{uw-beaver|fluke}!ssc-vax!adolph

That's because the doors are INTELLIGENT.  This another one of those subtle
AI applications that really needs to be investigated!  ;-)

Actually the doors are intelligent.  There's a grip up in the catwalks
with two poles to open the doors.

Cheers,
Tony ;-)
--
Tony Li ;-)		Usc Computer Science
Uucp: {sdcrdcf,randvax}!uscvax!tli

guads@nmtvax.UUCP (05/12/85)

In article <> adolph@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark Adolph) writes:

>Has anybody figured out how those doors work?  Do they have limited
>telepathy, somewhat akin to the limited prescience of the Hitchhiker
>elevators?  The episode that triggered this is "The Naked Time", in which
>a sobbing Spock enters a room, the door closes and he leans back against
>it.  Why doesn't it reopen and dump him out into the corridor on his
>butt?
>
>					-- Mark A.
>					...{uw-beaver|fluke}!ssc-vax!adolph

   Yar!  Remember in "Tomorrow is Yesterday," when the cat runs STRAIGHT(!)
towards the door?  First, what kind of cat would run full tilt into a door?
What I thought was neat though, is that the door only opened enough to let
the cat out.  So, anyway, the door must be able to tell the size of the
creature going through the it.

Maybe in Spock's case it saw he was crying and figured he needed some
privacy...
--
                                -Lautzy (Romulan)
                              ...unmvax!nmtvax!guads

demillo@uwmacc.UUCP (Rob DeMillo) (05/12/85)

> "No beach to walk on..."
>
> Has anybody figured out how those doors work?  Do they have limited
> telepathy, somewhat akin to the limited prescience of the Hitchhiker
> elevators?  The episode that triggered this is "The Naked Time", in which
> a sobbing Spock enters a room, the door closes and he leans back against
> it.  Why doesn't it reopen and dump him out into the corridor on his
> butt?
>
> 					-- Mark A.
> 					...{uw-beaver|fluke}!ssc-vax!adolph
>
> 	"1 + 1 = 1, for sufficiently small values of 1..."

How about: "...perhaps it feels good about being a door?"

Or: "Here's one of those self-satisfied doors again. It's about to
     open; I can tell by the aire of smuggness it's suddenly generating.
     It's its pleasure to open for you, and to close again with the
     satisfaction of a job well done...depressing..."

--
                           --- Rob DeMillo
                               Madison Academic Computer Center

                 /
               =|--
               = \
               =
             [][][]

"...I don't know what this thing does, but it's pointing in your direction."

ugzannin@sunybcs.UUCP (Adrian Zannin) (05/13/85)

> > Has anybody figured out how those doors work?  Do they have limited
> > telepathy, somewhat akin to the limited prescience of the Hitchhiker
> > elevators?  The episode that triggered this is "The Naked Time", in which
> > a sobbing Spock enters a room, the door closes and he leans back against
> > it.  Why doesn't it reopen and dump him out into the corridor on his
> > butt?
> >
> > 					-- Mark A.
> > 					...{uw-beaver|fluke}!ssc-vax!adolph
> In one of the animated episodes, the one where the little guys on the
> planet shrunk everyone, they show that the doors are opened by some sort of
> photoelectric cells starting a couple inches off the ground.  Presumably,
> the cells also stop at some point ... so the door can tell between somebody
> leaning against the top of a door or the lower part of somebody's body
> trying to walk out the door.
>
> 					Lord Kahless
   Assuming that the dorrs are operated with photoelectric cells, this
explanation still leaves an inconsistency.  If you take into account the speed
with which the characters walk/run when approaching the doors, the photo-
electric cells would have to be placed a MINIMUM of 5 feet from the door so
that the doors would be activated in time and would be open by the time the
person got to it.  If this is true, then when Spock went to lean against
the door, it should have opened before he even got a change to lean on it.
Also, that would mean that everytime someone walked down a corridor, all the
doors should open and close as he passed by them (even when poor Janice Rand
is taking a shower...thank god for locks!).

--
     Adrian Zannin

 ..{burdvax,rocksvax,bbncca,decvax,dual,rocksanne,watmath}!sunybcs!ugzannin
BITNET:  CS24173@SUNYABVA

julian@osu-eddie.UUCP (Julian Gomez) (05/14/85)

> Has anybody figured out how those doors work?  Do they have limited
> telepathy, somewhat akin to the limited prescience of the Hitchhiker

In "The Making of Star Trek", Roddenberry describes how they had a
stagehand sitting around waiting for a cast member to get close
enough, and would then push the button to open the doors.  This
technique makes it pretty easy to keep the doors closed when Spock
has to lean against them.
--
	Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez
	The Ohio State University

cej@ll1.UUCP (One of the Jones Boys) (05/14/85)

> > Has anybody figured out how those doors work?  Do they have limited
> > telepathy, somewhat akin to the limited prescience of the Hitchhiker
>
> In "The Making of Star Trek", Roddenberry describes how they had a
> stagehand sitting around waiting for a cast member to get close
> enough, and would then push the button to open the doors.  This
> technique makes it pretty easy to keep the doors closed when Spock
> has to lean against them.
> --
> 	{ucbvax,decvax}!cbosg!osu-eddie!julian

Actually in "The Making of Star Trek" he discribes how they had
stagehands pull the doors open by hand because they couldn't find a
mechanism that could open the doors quick enough.  In the famous
(and grainy) ST blooper reel you can just hear a stagehand yell
"Door's stuck!" before Shatner walks right into the bridge
elevavator door, which he expects to open.
	discalimer:  no sane man thinks as I do

...ihnp4!mgnetp!ll1!cej		Llewellyn Jones

barmar@mit-eddie.UUCP (Barry Margolin) (05/16/85)

In article <501@nmtvax.UUCP> guads@nmtvax.UUCP (Steven Lautzenheiser) writes:
>   Yar!  Remember in "Tomorrow is Yesterday," when the cat runs STRAIGHT(!)
>towards the door?  First, what kind of cat would run full tilt into a door?

You must be talking about "Assignment: Earth" (I know it's hard to keep
track of all those time travel episodes), the one with Gary Seven and
his cat, Isis.  If you recall, that was no ordinary cat.  It was quite
intelligent, and presumably knew about automatic doors.
--
    Barry Margolin
    ARPA: barmar@MIT-Multics

josie@ihuxw.UUCP (Johanna Clementz) (05/17/85)

> > > Has anybody figured out how those doors work?  Do they have limited
> > > telepathy, somewhat akin to the limited prescience of the Hitchhiker
> > > elevators?  The episode that triggered this is "The Naked Time", in which
> > > a sobbing Spock enters a room, the door closes and he leans back against
> > > it.  Why doesn't it reopen and dump him out into the corridor on his
> > > butt?
> > >
> > > 					-- Mark A.
> > > 					...{uw-beaver|fluke}!ssc-vax!adolph

How 'bout this explanation...

1.) the doors sense when a person is in the room, and will not
    open until that person says "come" or "come in" or
    something. (We have seen this many times in the series).

2.) the doors use sensors, not in the sides of the doors, but
    in the floor! A foot or two before the door itself, to
    sense approaching weight; ofcourse the sensors would be
    smart enough to know when the person (or whatever) is
    coming toward the door as opposed to passing by it.

			or

    Remember the precision sensors that Miranda used to
    "see" with in "Is There No Truth In Beauty"? Perhaps
    the doors use sensors almost as sensitive to tell
    when a person is approaching.

3.) Lastly, the doors do have a mechanism for locking. Perhaps
    Spock just locked the door when he came in, or programmed
    it to lock whenever he entered (he was very upset).

--

				Josie Clementz
				AT&T Bell Laboratories

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (05/19/85)

> > Has anybody figured out how those doors work?  Do they have limited
> > telepathy, somewhat akin to the limited prescience of the Hitchhiker
>
> In "The Making of Star Trek", Roddenberry describes how they had a
> stagehand sitting around waiting for a cast member to get close
> enough, and would then push the button to open the doors.  This
> technique makes it pretty easy to keep the doors closed when Spock
> has to lean against them.
> --
> 	Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez

I heard the story as it was actually two stagehands who openned the doors
manually.  Supposedly, there are many bloopers when only one door opens
or something.

Hey!  That's why Jim & Spock & Bones and the senior officers are usually
the ones who go down to the planet!  All the other crewmembers are busy
opening and shutting the doors.
--
"I'm walking on sunshine..."                       Peter Merchant

urban@spp2.UUCP (Mike Urban) (05/24/85)

In article <3108@dartvax.UUCP> merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) writes:
>> In "The Making of Star Trek", Roddenberry describes how they had a
>> stagehand sitting around waiting for a cast member to get close
>> enough, and would then push the button to open the doors.  This
>> technique makes it pretty easy to keep the doors closed when Spock
>> has to lean against them.
>
>I heard the story as it was actually two stagehands who openned the doors
>manually.  Supposedly, there are many bloopers when only one door opens
>or something.

Correct, the doors were basically just sliding wooden doors (I
visited the set in 1969).  After watching the blooper reel in which
the doors don't open on cue, it absolutely amazes me that the actors
could have the confidence to just stride briskly up to the doors
and walk through.

Of course, in the Jack the Ripper episode, the bridge door
doesn't open, and Kirk is able to stop himself in time, so obviously
the Enterprise crew and the Enterprise doors are in a two-way
telepathic link using brain implants provided by the not-really-Sirius
Cybernetics Corporation.

	Mike
--

   Mike Urban
	{ucbvax|decvax}!trwrb!trwspp!spp2!urban

"You're in a maze of twisty UUCP connections, all alike"