[net.startrek] Enterprize vs. Gallactica

jayt@ssc-vax.UUCP (Jay T McCanta) (05/03/85)

In the sci-fi shows of late, there seems to be two types of fighting
taking place.  One, like in Startrek, where the good-ship whatever is
the combat unit.  Others, linke in Battlestart Gallactica, where the
good-ship whatever is like an aircraft carrier.

Now, what would happen if the Enterprize did battle against the Gallactica?

     I HATE CENTRAL EXPRESSWAY ...
                                 ... and I live in Seattle.
Jay T. McCanta
Boeing Aerospace     These ideas are mine and I claim them.
Kent, Wa.            My employer may not want to share in claiming.

{uw-beaver|adiron|cesonix|argus|purdue}!ssc-vax!jayt

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (Jeff Meyer) (05/04/85)

[I KNEW there was a reason to begin reading this group again!]

In article <699@ssc-vax.UUCP> jayt@ssc-vax.UUCP (Jay T McCanta) writes:
>Now, what would happen if the Enterprize did battle against the Gallactica?

"Captain, sensors detect an overage old pooftah commanding a sub-light
brick."

			"When in doubt, tell the truth."
						Mark Twain
			"When in doubt, book 'em."
						Steve McGarret, Five-O

					Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
					John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.
UUCP:
 {cornell,decvax,ihnp4,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsrgv}!uw-beaver \
    {allegra,gatech!sb1,hplabs!lbl-csam,decwrl!sun,ssc-vax} -- !fluke!moriarty
ARPA:
	fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA

gts@wjh12.UUCP (G. T. Samson) (05/04/85)

In article <699@ssc-vax.UUCP> Jay T. McCanta writes:

> Now, what would happen if the Enterprize did battle against the Gallactica?

Well, if you want a method of treating such a thing, you might try looking
in the (absolutely awesome) role-playing game Space Opera.  One night, my
roommate and I were trying to figure out how a craft like the Enterprise would
be rated in Space Opera terms...we figure that it's only about 1/3 to 1/2 of
the way down the ship size list (going strictly by the crew complement).

One BattleStar (from Space Opera) would have no trouble carving up the
Enterprise.  On the other hand, the Battlestar Galactica might have a great
deal of trouble with the Enterprise, because as I remember the Battlestar
Atlantia was entirely blown apart by a single heavy cannonade from a fighter
in the right place.  I'm sure the Enterprise could do MUCH nastier things.

Name:		G. T. Samson
Quote:		"No matter where you go...there you are." -- B. Banzai
Other_Quote:	"You speak treason!" "Fluently!" 	  -- The Doctor
		[those who complain... it might ALSO be Errol Flynn,
		 but it's the Doctor for me!]
ARPA:		gts@wjh12 [preferred] OR samson%h-sc4@harvard
USMail:		Lowell H-41, Harvard U., Cambridge, MA 02138

okamoto@ucbvax.ARPA (Jeff Okamoto) (05/05/85)

> In article <699@ssc-vax.UUCP> Jay T. McCanta writes:
> >
> > Now, what would happen if the Enterprize did battle against the Gallactica?
> >

> One BattleStar (from Space Opera) would have no trouble carving up the
> Enterprise.  On the other hand, the Battlestar Galactica might have a great
> deal of trouble with the Enterprise, because as I remember the Battlestar
> Atlantia was entirely blown apart by a single heavy cannonade from a fighter
> in the right place.  I'm sure the Enterprise could do MUCH nastier things.

*** PHASER THIS LINE WITH YOUR COMPLIMENTS ***

Well first the Galactica/Atlantis/Pegasus/etc. would have to catch the
Enterprise.  And since the Battlestars have a top speed much less than
warp 6, they'd never catch it.

But assuming the Enterprise wants the battle, I'd have no opinion.
The ST Universe doesn't mention things like fighter defense, etc. and
there's no telling how the E's shields would stand up to the Viper's
beams.  On the other foot, though, a couple of photon torpedoes should
make hash out of any Battlestar.

Jeff Okamoto
..!ucbvax!okamoto
okamoto@Berkeley.ARPA

val236ah@unm-cvax.UUCP (05/06/85)

In article <> jayt@ssc-vax.UUCP (Jay T McCanta) writes:

>In the sci-fi shows of late, there seems to be two types of fighting
>taking place.  One, like in Startrek, where the good-ship whatever is
>the combat unit.  Others, linke in Battlestart Gallactica, where the
>good-ship whatever is like an aircraft carrier.
>
>Now, what would happen if the Enterprize did battle against the Gallactica?
>Jay T. McCanta
>Boeing Aerospace     These ideas are mine and I claim them.
>Kent, Wa.            My employer may not want to share in claiming.

	Well, that is an interesting proposition.  If I recall my episodes
correctly, there were several times the Big E fired while going at x-warp
speed.  Even if not, the Gallactica is not shielded from things like photons
and phasers, in fact, if I recall my Battlestar episodes right, they weren't
even shielded at all.  Now, with the 'big gun' of the battlestar out of the way,
the Big E could merely tractor in the little shit ships and blow them to
pieces at their leisure.  On the same lines, what would a "Enterprise vs.
the Death Star, fully complimented, of course and a couple of those big battle
stations that they had. could be interesting.  (Of course, if the good guys
started getting in trouble, it would be no prob to merely warp out, THEY have
to use hyperspace.....)

"Die young Skywalker"
"Skywalker? Spock, run that through the computer"
"I'm a doctor, not a Tattoine bricklayer"
"You're a what?"
"Who?"
"Whaa?"

	Ronald C. Rosul Jr. -val236ah

val236ah!unmc!unm

erosenth@aecom.UUCP (Elazar Rosenthal) (05/06/85)

> In the sci-fi shows of late, there seems to be two types of fighting
> taking place.  One, like in Startrek, where the good-ship whatever is
> the combat unit.  Others, linke in Battlestart Gallactica, where the
> good-ship whatever is like an aircraft carrier.
>
> Now, what would happen if the Enterprize did battle against the Gallactica?

>      I HATE CENTRAL EXPRESSWAY ...
>                                  ... and I live in Seattle.
> Jay T. McCanta
> Boeing Aerospace     These ideas are mine and I claim them.
> Kent, Wa.            My employer may not want to share in claiming.
>
> {uw-beaver|adiron|cesonix|argus|purdue}!ssc-vax!jayt

keep in mind that while the glactica is larger and possibley has more fire power
it does not have any shielding whatsoever against phasers or transporters

jamesp@orstcs.UUCP (jamesp) (05/07/85)

*****    LACE THIS LINE WITH         SAGE *****

>Well, if you want a method of treating such a thing, you might try looking
>in the (absolutely awesome) role-playing game Space Opera.  One night, my
>roommate and I were trying to figure out how a craft like the Enterprise would
>be rated in Space Opera terms...we figure that it's only about 1/3 to 1/2 of
>the way down the ship size list (going strictly by the crew complement).

I am also a game designer, and especially into Traveller.  In traveller, most
of the Enterprise's technology is difficult to implement -- but the size of the
Enterprise (calculated from deck plans) is about 20,000 Traveller Tons.

...tektronix!orstcs!jamesp (soon to be ...tektronix!dadla!jamesp)

"Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a *"

martillo@mit-athena.UUCP (Joaquim Martillo) (05/08/85)

I  was  under  the  impression  that the Enterprise was in the DeathStar
(Star Wars)  class.   Several  TV  episodes  made  the  point  that  the
Enterprise could anihilate planets.

goldman@umn-cs.UUCP (Matthew D. Goldman ) (05/11/85)

>In article <699@ssc-vax.UUCP> Jay T. McCanta writes:
>>
>> Now, what would happen if the Enterprize did battle against the Gallactica?

A fully fueled Battlestar class starship would rip apart the Enterprise.
If you will remember the episode with two battlestars,  the only reason
that the Battlestar Galactica was not able to go FTL was for lack of fuel.
The Galactica had a higher rate of fire and a few fighter squadrons.

--
-------
				Matthew Goldman

Home is where you take your hat off...			Banzai!

In article <6781@ucbvax.ARPA> okamoto@ucbvax.ARPA (Jeff Okamoto) writes:
>> In article <699@ssc-vax.UUCP> Jay T. McCanta writes:
>> >
>> > Now, what would happen if the Enterprize did battle against the Gallactica?
>> >

>Well first the Galactica/Atlantis/Pegasus/etc. would have to catch the
>Enterprise.  And since the Battlestars have a top speed much less than
>warp 6, they'd never catch it.

as I said before getting here, The Battlestar Class ships ARE faster than
light drive ships.  Their constraint is FUEL...

>But assuming the Enterprise wants the battle, I'd have no opinion.
>The ST Universe doesn't mention things like fighter defense, etc. and
>there's no telling how the E's shields would stand up to the Viper's
>beams.  On the other foot, though, a couple of photon torpedoes should
>make hash out of any Battlestar.

in numerous episodes the Battlestar was mentioned to have defence screens
capable of stopping energy blasts.  The key is to get under someone's shields
and blast them then.  The Battlestar class has tractor beam and most if not
all of the weapons of the NCC-1700 class (where do you think they came up
with the neat stuff anyway :-) as well as being armed with Titan II ICBM's :-)

--
-------
				Matthew Goldman
				Computer Science Department
				University of Minnesota
				...ihnp4{!stolaf}!umn-cs!goldman

Home is where you take your hat off...			Banzai!

adolph@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark Adolph) (05/13/85)

*** YOUR MESSAGE ***

> I  was  under  the  impression  that the Enterprise was in the DeathStar
> (Star Wars)  class.   Several  TV  episodes  made  the  point  that  the
> Enterprise could anihilate planets.

The Enterprise can destroy *the surface* of a planet.  The Death Star
actually blows the planet to little pieces of rubble not even big enough
to hurt a speeding Millenium Falcon.  Reference: Bread & Circuses and the
episode whose title I just blanked on with the two planets warring by
computer.

					-- Mark A.
					...{uw-beaver|fluke}!ssc-vax!adolph

	"1 + 1 = 1, for sufficiently small values of 1..."

lear@topaz.ARPA (eliot) (05/14/85)

>>Well first the Galactica/Atlantis/Pegasus/etc. would have to catch the
>>Enterprise.  And since the Battlestars have a top speed much less than
>>warp 6, they'd never catch it.

> as I said before getting here, The Battlestar Class ships ARE faster than
> light drive ships.  Their constraint is FUEL...

Wrong!!!

That rust bucket had problems hitting light speed.  You may even recall Tye
and Adama arguing over whether or not to go to light speed.
--
					eliot

uucp: [{allegra,seismo,ihnp4}!topaz!lear]
arpa: [Lear@RU-BLUE.arpa]

gts@wjh12.UUCP (G. T. Samson) (05/15/85)

> The Enterprise can destroy *the surface* of a planet.  The Death Star
> actually blows the planet to little pieces of rubble not even big enough
> to hurt a speeding Millenium Falcon.  Reference: Bread & Circuses and the
> episode whose title I just blanked on with the two planets warring by
> computer.
>
> 					-- Mark A.
> 					...{uw-beaver|fluke}!ssc-vax!adolph

I remember from the book adaptation of the episode where Spock gets attacked by
the flying fried eggs that the Enterprise packs something that can be fired
like a photon torpedo and that will destroy a planet.  When Spock leads them to
the home-base of the parasites, the Enterprise throws these things ("planet-
crackers"?) at the planet and it is blown apart.

Now, is this part of the Star Trek Canon, or not, though?

alan@cae780.UUCP (Alan M. Steinberg) (05/16/85)

In article <1977@topaz.ARPA> lear@topaz.ARPA (eliot) writes:

>That rust bucket had problems hitting light speed.  You may even recall Tye
>and Adama arguing over whether or not to go to light speed.
>--
No one seems to have mentioned (in this great debate of silliness) that the
reason why the Galactica didn't go light speed was so that it could protect
the slower-moving "rag-tag fugitive fleet".  Now whether it could be a
challenge to the Enterprise, all I can say is:  these are two different
universes.  Just remember Hitchhiker's Guide, when the army that was to
conquer Earth got gobbled up accidentally by a dog.  Enough of "let's
pretend."  It was amusing while it lasted, but let's go on to other topics,
like Buck Rogers vs. Mr. T.  (BeeDeeBeeDeeBee....What the fool say?).
--
           __
          /  0_____			Alan Steinberg
          |       .\		{ucbvax}!decwrl!amdcad!cae780!alan
          |   )----'
         / | \ \    "The wind doth taste so bittersweet,
          \_____/    Like those of Caspar Weinberger."
           |____)           -- P. Opus, distinguished flightless water fowl

chenr@tilt.FUN (Ray Chen) (05/20/85)

In article <593@wjh12.UUCP> gts@wjh12.UUCP (G. T. Samson) writes:
>I remember from the book adaptation of the episode where Spock gets attacked
>by the flying fried eggs that the Enterprise packs something that can be fired
>like a photon torpedo and that will destroy a planet.  When Spock leads them
>to the home-base of the parasites, the Enterprise throws these things
>("planet-crackers"?) at the planet and it is blown apart.
>
>Now, is this part of the Star Trek Canon, or not, though?

There's no reason why it couldn't be.  Here's a good way to build a
planet-buster bomb.  Remember Obsession where a gram or so of
anti-matter exploding on a planet's surface blew away half it's
atmosphere?  Well, make up a photon torpedo style weapon (e.g.
self-propelled with a guidance system) only make the warhead a few
pound of anti-matter instead of a few ounces.  Give it
"ground-piercing" or "ground-burrowing" capabilities.  Then aim the
torpedo at the thinnest part of the planet's crust.

I'd think that be enough to seriously harm a non-gas-giant planet.

	Ray Chen
	princeton!tilt!chenr

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (05/21/85)

If every Enterprise class ship had a few pounds of antimatter handy,
Trekkie III would be impossible:

	1.  With a planet buster already available, the Klingons would
	not be too interested in Genesis

	2.  When the Enterprise self destructed and then plunged into
	Genesis's atmosphere, the escape of those few pounds of anti-
	matter would have at least fried Kirk & Co. who were watching it
	burn up in the atmosphere.

Or is the Warp Drive connected to the transporter, which changes matter into
anti matter as needed?

"The more they overthink the plumbin', the easier it is to stop up the drain"
--
Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX	..!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Omen Technology Inc 17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD Portland OR 97231

wanttaja@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ronald J Wanttaja) (05/23/85)

> If every Enterprise class ship had a few pounds of antimatter handy,
> Trekkie III would be impossible:
>
> 	2.  When the Enterprise self destructed and then plunged into
> 	Genesis's atmosphere, the escape of those few pounds of anti-
> 	matter would have at least fried Kirk & Co. who were watching it
> 	burn up in the atmosphere.

AGHHHH! NO!  It's the return of "Hot Potatoes!"  Well *I'm* not going to
get involved in THAT again...:-)

				       Ron Wanttaja
				       (ssc-vax!wanttaja)

We came in peace, for all mankind...
"Lock phasers, Mr Sulu."

don@umd5.UUCP (05/24/85)

In article <167@omen.UUCP> caf@.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) writes:
>	1.  With a planet buster already available, the Klingons would
>	not be too interested in Genesis

So what makes you think the Klingons would not appreciate the potential
for planet-construction that Genesis represents? Klingons need planets
too...

--
--==---==---==--
"Space, the final frontier ..."

  ARPA: umd5!don@maryland.ARPA
BITNET: don%umd5@umd2
 CSNET: don@umd5
SPOKEN: Chris Sylvain (transient user of Don Preuss' account)
  UUCP: {seismo, rlgvax, allegra, brl-bmd, nrl-css}!umcp-cs!cvl!umd5!don

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (05/29/85)

>From: don@umd5.UUCP
>
>In article <167@omen.UUCP> caf@.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) writes:
>>	1.  With a planet buster already available, the Klingons would
>>	not be too interested in Genesis
>
>So what makes you think the Klingons would not appreciate the potential
>for planet-construction that Genesis represents? Klingons need planets
>too...

This point is brought out briefly in the novel (and I think the movie)
version of ST III. Malz, Kruge's aide, mentions how inhospitable the
Klingon homeworld is. Kruge replies with a bit about imagining your wife by
your side, your children at your feet, and the Federation flag flying over
your head. This is when he embarks on getting the secret of Genesis.

By the way, until you work out the Protomatter flaw, Genesis makes a great
weapon, but a rotten planet-builder. (Hmmm... is this an unresolved plot
point that should be worked out in ST IV?)

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764