[net.startrek] Back in time

ugthomas@sunybcs.UUCP ( Timothy Thomas) (05/21/85)

Since the enterprise can go back in time, I would assume that the
Romulans and Klingons also have that capability.

Now, since the Romulans and the Klingons are such a nasty bunch, why
wouldnt they go back in time to old earth, and Nuke the poor,
helpless and defenseless earth?

That would solve all their problems about neutral zones, etc...

(although they would no longer have anybody to play with!)

--
   Timothy D. Thomas                 SUNY/Buffalo Computer Science

   UUCP:  [decvax,dual,rocksanne,watmath,rocksvax]!sunybcs!ugthomas
   CSnet: ugthomas@buffalo,   ARPAnet: ugthomas%buffalo@CSNET-RELAY

"I'm a programmmer not a Doctor!"

lear@topaz.ARPA (eliot) (05/22/85)

> Since the enterprise can go back in time, I would assume that the
> Romulans and Klingons also have that capability.

There is a new book out that deals with this subject called ISHMAEL.  I do
not, however, want this to be a spoiler so let me just say, "Read it."  It's
not a half bad ST book.

					eliot
--
uucp: [{allegra,seismo,ihnp4}!topaz!lear]
arpa: [Lear@RU-BLUE.arpa]

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (05/23/85)

> Since the enterprise can go back in time, I would assume that the
> Romulans and Klingons also have that capability.
>
> Now, since the Romulans and the Klingons are such a nasty bunch, why
> wouldnt they go back in time to old earth, and Nuke the poor,
> helpless and defenseless earth?
>
> That would solve all their problems about neutral zones, etc...
>

> --
>    Timothy D. Thomas                 SUNY/Buffalo Computer Science

Well, there are two ways to "go back in time."  One of them has something
to do with really amazing accelleration or something like it.  The second
is to use the Guardian of Forever.

Now, possibly the Klingons (who aren't very science minded) haven't figured
out the accelleration bit yet.  The Guardian is on the Fed side.

Also, supposedly, the Guardian is guarded now by a contingent from Federation,
Klingon, and Romulan Empires.  They wouldn't let people go through to muck
with each other's pasts.

A good story I read in one of the "New Voyages" books had to do with the Klingons
attempting to drag information about the Guardian out of Jim.  He escapes,
is insane, and jumps through the Guardian, ending up in the 1950s.  Interesting
story.
--
"You programmed the selector                 Peter Merchant
 just the way I like it."

throopw@rtp47.UUCP (Wayne Throop) (05/24/85)

> Well, there are two ways to "go back in time."  One of them has something
> to do with really amazing accelleration or something like it.  The second
> is to use the Guardian of Forever.

Actually, I think there were *four* distinct methods of time travel
introduced in various episodes.  Two of these methods may be related,
but I think they are not.

  - The Guardian of Forever (simple gateway for person-sized objects).
  - The "Gravity breakaway" stuff which was re-used in the the Gary
    Seven & Isis episode.
  - The "Spock goes back in time and gets the girl while Kirk goes back
    in time and gets jailed for being a witch" episode.  (Another simple
    gateway for person-sized objects.)
  - The "Antimatter implosion" method introduced in the "decaying orbit
    while everybody goes crazy and Scotty tries to phaser thru a door"
    episode.

Anybody out there remember more time-travel methods from the series?

The last method is often overlooked, since the time-travel bit was
totally irrelevant to the story, and it was never (as far as I remember)
used in any other show, in spite of the hoop-la at the end of that
episode about "now we can go whenever we want to".  Maybe the antimatter
implosion proved too dangerous.

Sadly, I think the bit about the Klingons not being science-minded
enough to develop time-travel is not very plausible, given how easy it
seems to be.  (four distinct ways, two of them discovered totally by
accident by a single federation starship... gad the sky should be full
of the damn things! :-)
--
Wayne Throop at Data General, RTP, NC
<the-known-world>!mcnc!rti-sel!rtp47!throopw

wbpesch@ihuxp.UUCP (Walt Pesch) (05/27/85)

>   - The Guardian of Forever (simple gateway for person-sized objects).
>   - The "Gravity breakaway" stuff which was re-used in the the Gary
>     Seven & Isis episode.
>   - The "Spock goes back in time and gets the girl while Kirk goes back
>     in time and gets jailed for being a witch" episode.  (Another simple
>     gateway for person-sized objects.)
>   - The "Antimatter implosion" method introduced in the "decaying orbit
>     while everybody goes crazy and Scotty tries to phaser thru a door"
>     episode.
> Wayne Throop, Data General, NC  <the-known-world>!mcnc!rti-sel!rtp47!throopw

5)  Find a very-advanced race and have them modify reality.  It could
be done, as was done...

From an Animated that I don't remember the name of, a Negative-Time
effect Universe created by a VERY advanced supra-race just passing through the
galaxy, that will return in 40,000 years.  The Enterprise (and the Klingon
counterpart commanded by Kumara) was pulled through, chasing after high-
powered ship with beautiful girl aboard (of course.)  They only get out
with help of others in other Universe.

Because of the Negative-time effect, all of the crew regress back in
age (Chekov goes back to being a baby before they make it back.)  They
are saved by Spock who regresses back to ~50 and a Commodore April and
his wife (only seen in this episode but I believe the original commanding
officer of Capt.  Pike.)  April and his wife are rewarded by the supra-race
for their heroism by retaining their reduced age.  The rest of the crew
miraculously regain their age as the effect of leaving the other
time-negative Universe.

However, I believe the Time-negative universe was torn down by the Supra-race
when no longer needed (it was created to test the Enterprise, as the
best of the Federation.)

Hmm, could this also be related to the angels who tested the Federation
against the Gorn?  I would also say the Intelligent Rocks that tested "good
vs. evil", but they are very busy with a titanic struggle against
the Organians.  (Yes, you will have to read the DC comics to not have
to say "What???")

And also as part of a disclaimer to the reference to the DC comics,
they are considered by Bennett et al to be an official part of the
Star Trek Universe.  The story lines used in the comics are approved.

--
Walt Pesch
AT&T Network Systems

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (05/29/85)

>From: wbpesch@ihuxp.UUCP (Walt Pesch)
>
>>From an Animated that I don't remember the name of, a Negative-Time
>effect Universe created by a VERY advanced supra-race just passing through the
>galaxy, that will return in 40,000 years.  The Enterprise (and the Klingon
>counterpart commanded by Kumara) was pulled through, chasing after high-
>powered ship with beautiful girl aboard (of course.)  They only get out
>with help of others in other Universe.

You are confusing two episodes here. The bit about the Klingons is from the
one where they end up in a sort of "Bermuda Triangle" of lost ships.

The negative time universe is not created, it is presumed to have always
existed. It can only be reached, however, by travelling through black holes
which must exist in the corresponding places in both universes
simultaneously. The 40,000 years is how long it would be until the next
such occurrence.

For the record, the Enterprise is drawn into this alternate universe after
trying to save a small ship which it presumes is plunging into a black hole
and certain death.

>Because of the Negative-time effect, all of the crew regress back in
>age (Chekov goes back to being a baby before they make it back.)  They
>are saved by Spock who regresses back to ~50 and a Commodore April and
>his wife (only seen in this episode but I believe the original commanding
>officer of Capt.  Pike.)  April and his wife are rewarded by the supra-race
>for their heroism by retaining their reduced age.  The rest of the crew
>miraculously regain their age as the effect of leaving the other
>time-negative Universe.

No, they regain their normal age by being put through the transporter which
has "remembered" their original body patterns. (Probably another for the
inconsistency pile, but *please* ignore it.) The entire crew, including
Spock, is regressed to babyhood. The only reason April and his wife can
save the day is that they are ~80 at the beginning of the episode, so they
have only regressed to ~30. (An interesting plot point is April's dillemma
about whether to age himself as he is facing mandatory retirement.)

>However, I believe the Time-negative universe was torn down by the Supra-race
>when no longer needed (it was created to test the Enterprise, as the
>best of the Federation.)

No! See above.

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764