[net.startrek] First Time I have seen it.

eagle@ihlpg.UUCP (John Blumenstein) (05/20/85)

CAPTAIN - REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE
Spock, I am tired of your half-bred interference.

After watching Star Trek for many years I saw the tail end of one
that I Have not seen - "In Truth There is No Beauty" or something like
that.  It looked "interesting", does it have any redemable points to it.
I have to pay more attention maybe WFLD (ch 32) in Chicago will play it
again in this century.

Question on this episode:  At the end Spock uses the tranporter to beam this
woman down somewhere but before he actives the transporter he puts
on some kind of red goggles - Why?   I have never seen that before.
Did it have something to do with the rest of the program which I missed?

						Thanks,
                                                John Blumenstein
--
Sulu: "They say she has transwarp drive."
Scotty: "Aye, and if my mother had wheels she would be a wagon."

				John T. Blumenstein
				ihlpg!eagle

swc@cbscc.UUCP (Scott W. Collins) (05/21/85)

~
Question is:  why didn't Kirk put goggles on, too?
The assumption is that the Medusan's "ugliness"
is exposed during transport.

scott

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (05/22/85)

>From: swc@cbscc.UUCP (Scott W. Collins)
>
>Question is:  why didn't Kirk put goggles on, too?
>The assumption is that the Medusan's "ugliness"
>is exposed during transport.
>
>scott

I just caught the episode the other night, so I think I'll throw in my
$0.02:

We know in the opening scene that Medusans cannot be gazed upon except
through special goggles which have only been tested on Vulcans. We
apparently do not, however, know what form Kolos will take, so the
corridors are evacuated and Spock puts on the goggles.

At this point, neither we or anyone on the Enterprise know about the fact
that Kolos is in the box. This is confirmed by Spock's exchange with
Miranda where he addresses her as Kolos and she corrects him. It would
appear that no one expected a rather ordinary human female and some
"luggage" to beam aboard. Otherwise, there would have been no need to go to
such extreme precautions.

At the end of the episode, Kolos has been proven "safe". There is no reason
why Kirk can not be there. If Spock does put on the goggles (this point
escapes me) then I suspect it was more of a sign of respect rather than as
a precaution.

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

sml@bene.UUCP (Steven List) (05/23/85)

> After watching Star Trek for many years I saw the tail end of one
> that I Have not seen - "In Truth There is No Beauty" or something...
>
> Question on this episode:  At the end Spock uses the tranporter to beam this
> woman down somewhere but before he actives the transporter he puts
> on some kind of red goggles - Why?   I have never seen that before.
> Did it have something to do with the rest of the program which I missed?
>
> 						Thanks,
>                                                 John Blumenstein

If I remember that episode correctly, the being in the box with the woman
was the real concern.  It would make you either mad or blind (or both) and
communicated in some sort of pseudo-telepathic fashion.  Spock developed an
emotional relationship with both the woman and the box.  The donning of the
goggles was a gesture and also to remind him of how the ones he cared for
looked while they were working together.  (Side note: I think the woman
was blind - that was why she was able to work with the box).

raiche@dartvax.UUCP (George A. Raiche) (05/27/85)

> > After watching Star Trek for many years I saw the tail end of one
> > that I Have not seen - "In Truth There is No Beauty" or something...
> >

> > 						Thanks,
> >                                                 John Blumenstein

Out of sheer curiosity...
	If you've never seen the episode (except the tail end), how
	did you get so close with the name?

				George Raiche
				Dept. of Chemistry
				Dartmouth

eagle@ihlpg.UUCP (John Blumenstein) (06/03/85)

> > > After watching Star Trek for many years I saw the tail end of one
> > > that I Have not seen - "In Truth There is No Beauty" or something...
> > >

> > > 						Thanks,
> > >                                                 John Blumenstein
> >

> Out of sheer curiosity...
> 	If you've never seen the episode (except the tail end), how
> 	did you get so close with the name?
>
> 				George Raiche
> 				Dept. of Chemistry
> 				Dartmouth

It may be unbelievable but the title was in the tv guide from the
sunday paper - a rarity.  When the episode was over I grabbed the
guide and there it was.  I just could not remember the exact name
when I wrote the article.