[net.startrek] inconsistencies

yes2@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Randy Rzasa) (03/24/85)

Does anyone out there know of any inconsistencies in the various episodes?
A friend pointed out a pretty blatant one a fews days ago:
"I, Mudd"
Scenario: Enterprise taken to android planet where Harry Mudd is.
          Androids beam down all members of the enterprise and take over
          ship.
          Ingenious Kirk and officers short circuit all the androids.

Question: How do they get back up to the enterprise? Nobody is on board so
nobody can beam them up, and all the androids have short-circuited so they
can't be programmed to do it.

nairb@ihlpg.UUCP (b. enke) (03/25/85)

> Does anyone out there know of any inconsistencies in the various episodes?
> A friend pointed out a pretty blatant one a fews days ago:
> "I, Mudd"
> Scenario: Enterprise taken to android planet where Harry Mudd is.
>           Androids beam down all members of the enterprise and take over
>           ship.
>           Ingenious Kirk and officers short circuit all the androids.
>
> Question: How do they get back up to the enterprise? Nobody is on board so
> nobody can beam them up, and all the androids have short-circuited so they
> can't be programmed to do it.

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE, KLINGON SCUM! ***

Although there are probably some inconsistencies in a few shows, I don't
think that this is one of them.  Consider this part of the scenario:
how did the androids get aboard the Enterprise in the first place??
Obviously, they had their own transporters! (or some equal device).
Remember, scientifically the androids were far superior to the federation.
They probably had lots of neat gadgets laying around!

> It's a poor atom-blaster that won't point both ways :  Salvor Hardin.

					President, T.A.S
					(Tribble Adoption Society)

swc@cbscc.UUCP (Scott W. Collins) (03/25/85)

~
This may be repeated by others, so I will keep it short...

After the gang took control of the planet and the androids, some of the
the androids were on the ship.  Spock said they were all reprogrammed
(since they are controlled by a central point), and Kirk could talk to
them via communicator ordering them to beam up somebody/everybody.
Due to there corrective reprogramming, they would have to comply.

swc

marc@pyuxd.UUCP (M Schare) (03/26/85)

For that matter, how did the android get aboard the ENTERPRISE in the first
place ?
--
Netnews is MORE FUN then Human Beings should be allowed to have!
                                                Marc Schare  (pyuxd!marc)

rafe@reed.UUCP (Rafe Needleman) (03/26/85)

[]

Another fun inconsistency:  In "Charlie X", Kirk is summoned to the
bridge.  He runs into the turbo-lift, wearing his green wrap-around
shirt.  In the next scene, we see him stepping out of the lift on
the bridge, wearing his golden normal-style tunic.  Quick change,
no?

-Rafe
 (rafe@reed)

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (03/26/85)

> Does anyone out there know of any inconsistencies in the various episodes?
> A friend pointed out a pretty blatant one a fews days ago:
> "I, Mudd"
> Scenario: Enterprise taken to android planet where Harry Mudd is.
>           Androids beam down all members of the enterprise and take over
>           ship.
>           Ingenious Kirk and officers short circuit all the androids.
>
> Question: How do they get back up to the enterprise? Nobody is on board so
> nobody can beam them up, and all the androids have short-circuited so they
> can't be programmed to do it.

Okay, there must be a way.  Scotty was down there.  They rebuilt the android
controller and had one of the androids on the ship beam 'em up.  Piece of
pie.
--
"He means cake." -- Hogan                       Peter Merchant

friedman@sunybcs.UUCP (Gary E. Friedman) (03/27/85)

> "I, Mudd"
>
> Question: How do they get back up to the enterprise? Nobody is on board so
> nobody can beam them up, and all the androids have short-circuited so they
> can't be programmed to do it.

  Well, like, if they still have a communicator, they could call the computer
and ask her (Majel Barett's voice, btw) to do it.
--

     Gary E. Friedman                  "References available upon request"
     SUNY @ Buffalo

erosenth@aecom.UUCP (03/28/85)

> Does anyone out there know of any inconsistencies in the various episodes?
> A friend pointed out a pretty blatant one a fews days ago:
> "I, Mudd"
> Scenario: Enterprise taken to android planet where Harry Mudd is.
>           Androids beam down all members of the enterprise and take over
>           ship.
>           Ingenious Kirk and officers short circuit all the androids.
>
> Question: How do they get back up to the enterprise? Nobody is on board so
> nobody can beam them up, and all the androids have short-circuited so they
> can't be programmed to do it.

first of all there are too many inconsistencies in star trek for me to mention.
second of all mudd did beam a crew of androids possibly using planet transpor
question:how did norman get into starfleet

In article <248@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> yes2@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Randy Rzasa) writes:
>Does anyone out there know of any inconsistencies in the various episodes?
>A friend pointed out a pretty blatant one a fews days ago:
>"I, Mudd"
>Scenario: Enterprise taken to android planet where Harry Mudd is.
>          Androids beam down all members of the enterprise and take over
>          ship.
>          Ingenious Kirk and officers short circuit all the androids.
>
>Question: How do they get back up to the enterprise? Nobody is on board so
>nobody can beam them up, and all the androids have short-circuited so they
>can't be programmed to do it.

	AH, but the androids were *not* "short-circuited",
their logic facilities were locked(something like a deadlock
in a current OS). Then Kirk & co. *reprogrammed* the master
android using those fancy labs that McCoy and Scotty had been
drooling about.  The reprogrammed, properly subservient, androids
then beamed the crew back up. Simple!!
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
or {ttdica|quad1|bellcore|scgvaxd}!psivax!friesen

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Dr. Emmanuel Wu) (03/30/85)

> Does anyone out there know of any inconsistencies in the various episodes?
> A friend pointed out a pretty blatant one a fews days ago:
> "I, Mudd"
> Scenario: Enterprise taken to android planet where Harry Mudd is.
>           Androids beam down all members of the enterprise and take over
>           ship.
>           Ingenious Kirk and officers short circuit all the androids.
>
> Question: How do they get back up to the enterprise? Nobody is on board so
> nobody can beam them up, and all the androids have short-circuited so they
> can't be programmed to do it.

Another inconsistency in the same episode relates to Norman's presence
on the Enterprise.  If he's light years away on a starship, who's
"coordinating" the androids?
--
"Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?  I dunno."
				Rich Rosen 	ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

jmoore@fred.UUCP (Jim Moore) (03/31/85)

> Does anyone out there know of any inconsistencies in the various episodes?

A specific question on inconsistencies:

Was Chekov in the original Khan TV episode? (Space Seed).
In the movie TWOK; Khan and and Chekov recognize each other but I
do not remember Chekov being in the original episode. Anyone have
the tape handy?

Jim Moore, NBI Technical Products
Boulder, Colorado
{ucbvax|allegra|hao}!nbires!jmoore

ugthomas@sunybcs.UUCP ( Timothy Thomas) (03/31/85)

How come in 'I Mudd', nobody seems to know Harry except Kirk; even
though they have already met him in 'Mudds Womem' ?  (or it could
be the other way around, nobody knows Harry in m.w. even though
they already met him in i.m.)

--
...Tim Thomas

...{burdvax, rocksvax, bbncca, decvax, dual, rocksanne, watmath}!sunybcs!ugthomas

Remember......
	Only you can prevent software piracy.

avolio@grendel.UUCP (Frederick M. Avolio) (04/01/85)

> Was Chekov in the original Khan TV episode? (Space Seed).
> In the movie TWOK; Khan and and Chekov recognize each other but I
> do not remember Chekov being in the original episode. Anyone have

> Was Chekov in the original Khan TV episode? (Space Seed).
> In the movie TWOK; Khan and and Chekov recognize each other but I
> do not remember Chekov being in the original episode. Anyone have
> the tape handy?

No, he wasn't in it.  I posted this to the net a little under a year
ago.  He was *not* in the TV episode.  ANd, yes, he *could've* been a
jounior officer working int the Enterprise laundry room or something.
So, there'd be an explanation for why he remembers Khan, but not how
Khan could know him. (Actually, Khan was probably just being polite.
How many times have you pretended to know someone who knew you? "Yeah,
sure!  It's been a long time!")

--
Fred Avolio      {decvax,seismo}!grendel!avolio      301/731-4100 x4227

erosenth@aecom.UUCP (Elazar Rosenthal) (04/01/85)

how about the sense of timing in the squire of  gothos.   Trelain
was supposed to be off by 900 years yet he knew of hammilton

wanttaja@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ronald J Wanttaja) (04/06/85)

> In the episode where the planet is a giant playground making things that
> people think of, Sulu says "Looks like someone beaming down from the bridge"
> when Spock was beaming down.
>
> What did Sulu mean?  Was someone beaming down fromthe bridge as aposed to
> beaming down from the transporter room?  Or was it bridge personnel who
> were beaming down?  If he could tell if it was bridge personnel, one
> would think he would have identified that person by name.
>
> Any clues?
> --
> Jay T. McCanta
> Boeing Aerospace
> Kent, Wa.

One good clue come from "The Making of Star Trek."  That episode was written
entirely on the fly... i.e., each scene passed right from the writer's hands
(actually, rewriter's hands, as the initial script was found unacceptable at
the last moment) to the actors.  Little things like that no doubt passed right
by everyone at the time.

				 Ron Wanttaja
				 (ssc-vax!wanttaja)

Why didn't I just turn to the next terminal and tell him??? Why Indeed??

li63sfh@sdcc7.UUCP (Philip Kao{|stu) (04/07/85)

probably Harry S had some sort of space vehicle
i mean he had to get there somehow
it's a reasonable thing to have on a planet
ours is kept at Miramar Space Station
it's called Central Library at La Jolla
to initiate lift-off just pull the third floor
fire alarm just outside of the elevator.
try it sometime when you just want to get away from it all.

dr37@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Joanna Bryson) (04/10/85)

Blaming script writers is not a valid form of Star Trek rationalizing!  That's
like explaining physics as a bunch of miracles (cf the Clarke-Liebniz
corespondence)!  "Oh, God just decided that atoms won't collapse on themselves."
Sure it's easy and might be right, but it's not worthy of our genere.  Sulu
meant that the bridge was sending down someone, easily guessed since noone else
would have the authority, but difficult to identify individually with the
transporter malfunctioning.  If someone comes up with a more creative
explanation, I'll buy it, but no more Great Bird stuff :-)

Joanna
         `:-( Warning---Speculation is illogical

guads@nmtvax.UUCP (04/14/85)

   Speaking of inconsistencies, how about in _Journey to Babel_ where
Kirk suggests to Spock that he "Beam down to the planet to visit his
parents."  Spock explains stiffly that Ambassador Sarek and his wife
"are my parents."  But why doesn't Kirk know this already?  I'm sure
ol' Kirk would know that such an important ambassador is his friend
and second officer's Pop!

--

                                -Lautzy (Romulan)

"Herbert, you are STIFF!"...

kek@hoxna.UUCP ( K. E. Kepple) (05/09/85)

[]

Since we're nit-picking, I, too, have noted some consistent inconsistencies.
They're consistent since they occur in many episodes; inconsistent with
our understanding of the physical world (although our knowledge may not
apply here).

First of all, I don't recall an explanation of the artificial gravity
that the Enterprise apparently generates. I guess this also applies to
the shuttle craft as well. You never see equipment or crew floating
around.

Along with the workings of the transporter (which has been discussed
in numerous other submissions to this group), the matter-antimatter
drives, etc., I am quite impressed with the sub-space communications.
As I recall from A Piece of the Action, the Enterprise responds to a
distress signal from the USS Horizon. They apparently think the signal
is recent. However, when they arrive in the vicinity of the "old Chicago"
style planet, they find in discussions with mob boss Oxmith that the
Horizon had been destroyed 100 years earlier. The distress signal was
delayed because it was sent conventional rather than sub-space. So,
the Federation has discovered how to propagate electromagnetic radiation
at many times the speed of light. Of course, if they can travel faster
than SOL, why not communicate likewise?

Then there are the missing Laws of Inertia! How many episodes have I seen
in which the Enterprise has accelerated from zero to warp 10 (whatever
that is) in a few seconds or slow down rapidly with people nonchalantly
sitting around their consoles? These folks should be plastered to one
of the walls like a thin coat of paint! Ever notice that they don't even
require seatbelts? Here in Jersey we're supposed to be belted in to go
55 mph!

I also note how there are always crew-persons casually walking around the
corridors during red alerts (like during battle conditions or
emergency maneuvers). Don't they know what a RED ALERT means?

Speaking of maneuvers, I also like the external views (wherever they get
them from) showing the Enterprise banking to make turns.

Then there are the phasers. They (two beams) seem to emerge from nearly
the same location under the Enterprise and rapidly diverge. However,
they are frequently shown as close, parallel beams when hitting a
target such as Apollo's temple (in Adonais) or Val (the Apple).

And, of course, the bridge viewer lost its UL rating since it puts out
tremendous amounts of light. Is there no signal filtering or control
on that thing? The control panels that burst into a shower of flame
and sparks also are not UL approved. Why doesn't this trigger the
(well concealed) CO2 or Halon extinguishers?

Don't think I don't like these shows. I do. I have watched them many
times over. And although they seem to have flaws, they never fail
to stimulate the imagination. To dream of REAL space travel. Things
like warp drives, transporters, and the like are needed to make these
dreams come true. Our Apollo crews took three days to get to the moon,
a distance of less than 2 light-seconds. Pioneer and Voyager required
a decade to approach the edge of our solar system. How could we ever
roam the galaxy to survey her magnificence and study her mysteries
with this technology? Until it becomes feasible, we have to do it in
our imaginations and STARTREK helps us do that!

Prepare to leave orbit, Sulu.....full power Scotty!

Ken Kepple
hoxna!kek   datakit: ho/bedrock/fred!kek
AT&T-Bell Labs - Holmdel NJ 07733  201-949-6525  Cornet 8-233-6525
...!{hocda, ihnp4, floyd!vax135!ariel!houti!hogpc}!houxm!houxf!hoxna!kek

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (05/11/85)

I think the tradition of control panels bursting into flames goes back at
least to the fifties and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.  Most episodes
either had an electronic wipeout and/or Capt. Crane turned into a random
monster.

Now that I remember it, Bride of Frankenstien had its share of sparks. ...
--
Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX	..!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Omen Technology Inc 17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD Portland OR 97231

m1b@rayssd.UUCP (05/16/85)

In <502@hoxna.UUCP> Ken Kepple writes:

> First of all, I don't recall an explanation of the artificial gravity
> that the Enterprise apparently generates. I guess this also applies to
> the shuttle craft as well. You never see equipment or crew floating
> around.

	I don't know what the technology involved is but you have
to really applaud the contruction of those generators.  No matter
how badly damaged a Federation ship is (Reliant missing an engine,
its bridge a shambles), those suckers are still kicking!

	Imagine if they weren't made so well.  The Enterprise trashes
the Reliant, the gravity generators cease operation, Khan and the
Genesis 'bomb' float apart, Khan dies before he can reach and activate
it and give his nice soliloquy....

	Would of, could of, should of...

Joe Barone,	{allegra, decvax!brunix, linus, ccice5}!rayssd!m1b
Raytheon Co,	Submarine Signal Div., Box 330, Portsmouth, RI  02871

adolph@ssc-vax.UUCP (Mark Adolph) (05/17/85)

> 	I don't know what the technology involved is but you have
> to really applaud the contruction of those generators.  No matter
> how badly damaged a Federation ship is (Reliant missing an engine,
> its bridge a shambles), those suckers are still kicking!

Perhaps corbomite generates gravity way out of proportion to its mass.  :-)

					-- Mark A.
					...{uw-beaver|fluke}!ssc-vax!adolph

	"1 + 1 = 1, for sufficiently small values of 1..."

nessus@nsc.UUCP (Kchula-Rrit) (06/06/85)

> In <502@hoxna.UUCP> Ken Kepple writes:
>
> > First of all, I don't recall an explanation of the artificial gravity
> > that the Enterprise apparently generates. I guess this also applies to
> > the shuttle craft as well. You never see equipment or crew floating
> > around.

     If memory serves me correctly, the two men that carried Nomad to the
transporter chamber before it threw its tantrum had to use anti-gravity-type
devices to counterract the Enterprise's gravity so that they could carry/tow
it.  Would this not seem to confirm that they had artificial gravity?  I
believe that the devices were referred to as "anti-gravs" or something to
that effect.

				Kchula-Rrit