[net.startrek] A Major Inconsistancy

mike@dolqci.UUCP (Mike Stalnaker) (05/28/85)

	I was watching The City on the Edge of Forever last night, and
found a major inconsistancy.  At the end of the episode, Kirk, Spock,
McCoy, Scotty, Uhura, and TWO REDSHIRTS beam back up to the Enterprise.
Count the total number of bodies there.. Can anybody think of any other
episodes where more than 6 were beamed at once? How about possible
explainations.???
--

  Mike Stalnaker  UUCP:{decvax!decuac,cbosgd,seismo}!dolqci!mike
		  AT&T:202-376-2593

		  "Never appeal to a man's better nature. He may not
		   have one. Appeal to his better interests instead"
						--Lazarus Long

don@umd5.UUCP (05/29/85)

In article <315@dolqci.UUCP> mike@dolqci.UUCP (Mike Stalnaker) writes:
>	I was watching The City on the Edge of Forever last night, and
>found a major inconsistancy.  At the end of the episode, Kirk, Spock,
>McCoy, Scotty, Uhura, and TWO REDSHIRTS beam back up to the Enterprise.
>Count the total number of bodies there.. Can anybody think of any other
>episodes where more than 6 were beamed at once? How about possible
>explainations.???

There happens to be a perfectly good explanation. The Enterprise has
more than one of those 6-person transporter stations (I think four).
So, Kirk & Co. minus one or both redshirts beam into one chamber
while the remaining people are beamed into another chamber off camera!

--
--==---==---==--
"Space, the final frontier ..."

  ARPA: umd5!don@maryland.ARPA
BITNET: don%umd5@umd2
 CSNET: don@umd5
SPOKEN: Chris Sylvain (transient user of Don Preuss' account)
  UUCP: {seismo, rlgvax, allegra, brl-bmd, nrl-css}!umcp-cs!cvl!umd5!don

ccs020@ucdavis.UUCP (Kevin Chu) (05/29/85)

> 	I was watching The City on the Edge of Forever last night, and
> found a major inconsistancy.  At the end of the episode, Kirk, Spock,
> McCoy, Scotty, Uhura, and TWO REDSHIRTS beam back up to the Enterprise.
> Count the total number of bodies there.. Can anybody think of any other
> episodes where more than 6 were beamed at once? How about possible
> explainations.???

You're right, Redshirts are never allowed to survive an episode.  The
transporter engineer should have beamed them into rock, or something.  :-)

Seriously, if there aren't enough 'pods' for people, there's probably a
queue or something.  "Day of the Dove" had klingons held while Kirk, et al
got out, then the klingons were 'rematerialized'.

Are there only six pods?  I seem to remember more, but I could be wrong.

Kevin Chu
ucbvax!ucdavis!vega!ccs020

/ex

ccrdave@ucdavis.UUCP (Lord Kahless) (05/30/85)

> > 	I was watching The City on the Edge of Forever last night, and
> > found a major inconsistancy.  At the end of the episode, Kirk, Spock,
> > McCoy, Scotty, Uhura, and TWO REDSHIRTS beam back up to the Enterprise.
> > Count the total number of bodies there.. Can anybody think of any other
> > episodes where more than 6 were beamed at once? How about possible
> > explainations.???
>
> Seriously, if there aren't enough 'pods' for people, there's probably a
> queue or something.  "Day of the Dove" had klingons held while Kirk, et al
> got out, then the klingons were 'rematerialized'.
>
> Are there only six pods?  I seem to remember more, but I could be wrong.
>
> Kevin Chu
> ucbvax!ucdavis!vega!ccs020
>
> /ex

According to the sketch of the set of the Enterprise found in "The Making
of Star Trek, there were exactly six pods.  There is a notation in the
book about cargo transporters, but they weren't shown in the series.

			Lord Kahless
			ucbvax!ucdavis!vega!ccrdave

mike@asgb.UUCP (Mike Rosenlof) (06/06/85)

> 	I was watching The City on the Edge of Forever last night, and
> found a major inconsistancy.  At the end of the episode, Kirk, Spock,
> McCoy, Scotty, Uhura, and TWO REDSHIRTS beam back up to the Enterprise.
> Count the total number of bodies there.. Can anybody think of any other
> episodes where more than 6 were beamed at once? How about possible
> explainations.???
> --

In "The Day of the Dove" a whole bunch of Klingons and our heros are
beamed up to the Enterprise at one time.  They weren't all put back
together at the same time though.  Presumably this could have been
done here.

Mike Rosenlof				   ihnp4!sabre!\
					hplabs!sdcrdcf!-bmcg!asgb!mike
		    { ihnp4, ucbvax, allegra }!sdcsvax!/
Burroughs Advanced Systems Group 		     Boulder, Colorado