[net.startrek] Prefix numbers, or how to destroy a federation starship

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (05/30/85)

>From: kyrimis@tilt.FUN (Kriton Kyrimis)
>
>*** REPLACE PREFIX NUMBERS WITH A SAFER SECURITY SCHEME ***
>
>I was thinking about admiral Kirk's trick of lowering the Reliant's shields in
>STTWOK the other day, and suddenly realised that the federation will soon be
>in for a nasty surprise: it won't be long before some Klingon/Romulan hacker
>comes up with the following piece of code for their battle computer:
>
>[.....]
>
>I refer of course to Kirk's using the Reliant's 4 or 5 digit prefix number to
>lower her shields. Assuming that data transmission and ship scanning is almost
>instantaneous (it seemed so in the movie), then it won't take more than a
>minute or two to figure a ship's prefix number and then ... BANG!
>
>I realise that the whole trick lies in figuring out what lower_shields() does,
>but I wouldn't think that the federation is so spy-proof that they can keep it
>secret for long.
>
>Any comments on that?

The concept of the prefix code is something that never should have been
introduced into the Star Trek universe.

As the quoted article points out, they are a horrible security flaw. *IF* a
Romulan or Klingon attack fleet could get the master list of prefix codes,
all they would need to do would be mount a massive invasion, wait for the
massive Federation defending fleet, and blow the Feds to dust.

Also, the existence of the prefix codes presents a whole new series of
inconsistencies into the Trek universe. Since Kirk assumes Kahn know about
the prefix codes, they must have been used 15 years eariler during the
events of "Space Seed". Kahn would have learned about them when he learned
everything else about a starship. If we accept this, then we can ask a
whole series of questions, such as: "Why didn't Wesley use the codes to
drop the Enterprise's shields in 'The Ultimate Computer'?" or "Why didn't
M5 use the prefix codes to blast everyone in that episode?" or even "Why
didn't Styles use the Excelsior's computer to send the prefix codes to stop
Kirk and company from stealing the Enterprise?" (God, this could go on all
day!)

The prefix code was an interesting plot device which got Kirk out of a sure
no-win scenario. Unfortunately, we are now stuck with the existence of
prefix codes and all that entails.

(The idea of ST IV involving time travel is beginning to sound better all
the time. If only they could go back and erase the existence of Genesis,
prefix codes, et al.)

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

kyrimis@tilt.FUN (Kriton Kyrimis) (05/31/85)

> Also, the existence of the prefix codes presents a whole new series of
> inconsistencies into the Trek universe. Since Kirk assumes Khan know about
> the prefix codes, they must have been used 15 years earlier during the
> events of "Space Seed". Khan would have learned about them when he learned
> everything else about a starship. If we accept this, then we can ask a
> whole series of questions, such as: "Why didn't Wesley use the codes to
> drop the Enterprise's shields in 'The Ultimate Computer'?" or "Why didn't
> M5 use the prefix codes to blast everyone in that episode?" or even "Why
> didn't Styles use the Excelsior's computer to send the prefix codes to stop
> Kirk and company from stealing the Enterprise?" (God, this could go on all
> day!)

Not necessarily. When I said that the federation was in for a surprise, I was
hinting that prefix numbers are a new invention, something that did not exist
at the time of the tv episodes. This would take care of all but the last of
the above inconsistencies. This can be dealt with by assuming that since prefix
numbers are such a security risk, only high-ranking members of starfleet
command know of their existence (remember Saavik's surprise?), and only they
are allowed to use them. Now the Exelcior wouldn't happen to have a spare
admiral on the bridge, would she? And by the time the starbase was alerted,
the Enterprise had warped away...
This assumption can even do away with the other inconsistencies, if prefix
numbers existed during the time of the tv episodes, since I don't believe
that any admirals appeared in any of the episodes mentioned above.

Now, if the above is true, how did SPOCK know about prefix numbers?
Maybe he found out about them by being "understandably curious".

--------
Pick five numbers. If they form the prefix number of this week's starship,
you win a medal and a commission to the Klingon fleet.
--

	Kriton	(princeton!tilt!kyrimis)

chenr@tilt.FUN (Ray Chen) (05/31/85)

Regarding prefix numbers.  They are a security risk only if you're
stupid enough to let your ship's computer listen and respond to
incoming transmissions.  Presumably, there's some sort of "worm-filter"
or "listen-only" computer mode that high-ranking officers would know
how to turn on if they suspected that someone was about to use prefix
numbers to hose over their ship.

	Ray Chen
	princeton!tilt!chenr

kyrimis@tilt.FUN (Kriton Kyrimis) (05/31/85)

> Regarding prefix numbers.  They are a security risk only if you're
> stupid enough to let your ship's computer listen and respond to
> incoming transmissions.  Presumably, there's some sort of "worm-filter"
> or "listen-only" computer mode that high-ranking officers would know
> how to turn on if they suspected that someone was about to use prefix
> numbers to hose over their ship.

This would beat the whole purpose of prefix numbers. Prefix numbers are
supposed to be used to take command from an unwilling captain. Can you
imagine Khan saying to Kirk, "Ok, Kirk old friend, I've switched off from
listen-only mode, so you can lower my shields and blow my ship to
kingdom come"?
--

	Kriton	(princeton!tilt!kyrimis)

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (05/31/85)

>From: kyrimis@tilt.FUN (Kriton Kyrimis)
>
>>                           ....... If we accept this, then we can ask a
>> whole series of questions, such as: "Why didn't Wesley use the codes to
>> drop the Enterprise's shields in 'The Ultimate Computer'?" or "Why didn't
>> M5 use the prefix codes to blast everyone in that episode?" or even "Why
>> didn't Styles use the Excelsior's computer to send the prefix codes to stop
>> Kirk and company from stealing the Enterprise?" (God, this could go on all
>> day!)
>
>Not necessarily. When I said that the federation was in for a surprise, I was
>hinting that prefix numbers are a new invention, something that did not exist
>at the time of the tv episodes. This would take care of all but the last of
>the above inconsistencies.

I can accept that with some reluctance. Since Kirk and Spock suspect that
Kahn might know about the prefix codes, then they must have also assumed
that Kahn spent his first hours on Reliant catching up on 15 years worth of
changes. Okay, I can live with that.

>			    This can be dealt with by assuming that since prefix
>numbers are such a security risk, only high-ranking members of starfleet
>command know of their existence (remember Saavik's surprise?), and only they
>are allowed to use them. Now the Exelcior wouldn't happen to have a spare
>admiral on the bridge, would she? And by the time the starbase was alerted,
>the Enterprise had warped away...

I definately agree that they would/should not be known by anyone below
command rank, presumably nobody below the rank of Captain. Why only
Admirals, though? Kirk is really the only admiral that Starfleet has sent
into combat (that we have seen). No where else have we seen a Federation
ship commanded by anyone over the rank of Commodore. It seems to me that we
would be giving the information to the people who'd need it least.

>Now, if the above is true, how did SPOCK know about prefix numbers?
>Maybe he found out about them by being "understandably curious".

That's a little like you being "understandably curious" about the root
passwords of *all* the machines on the Princeton campus. (I don't know your
psoition there, so maybe you do know them all. If so, I apologize.) If they
are so secret, however, then someone has committed a horrible security
breach.

Since they are in the computer, I suppose Spock could have found them
(given his intimacy with the Enterprise computer). This explanation is a
bit strained, however, given the number of files/records the computer must
contain. Even a Vulcan has limits!

Actually, there is one way that Spock could have found out about the prefix
codes- the same way Saavik does. This would mean that at some earlier time
(but since the creation of the prefix codes) Spock and some admiral found
themselves in the psotion where it was necessary to take control remotely
of another Federation starship. He, therefore, would be introduced to them
the same way that Saavik is. (Note: this is either a horrible kludge
introduced to explain away an inconsistancy or the makings of a novel. )

Finally, it could just be that knowledge about the prefix codes is like
knowledge about UNIX. Much of it is unwritten legend and lore passed down
from guru to guru as need be.

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764
Phone:		(201) 222-6600 x366
UUCP:		...!vax135!petsd!moncol!john	...!princeton!moncol!john
						   ...!pesnta!moncol!john
Silly Quote:
		I never wanted to be a barber.
		I wanted to be... a LUMBERJACK!

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (06/01/85)

Possibly the prefix code can be turned on and off.  If the ship is listening
for the prefix code and hears it, you have it.

Of course, how did Jim know that Khan's ship would accept the prefix codes?
--
"5705 -- But there's no reply"                      Peter Merchant
           -- City Boy

In article <3207@dartvax.UUCP> merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) writes:
>Possibly the prefix code can be turned on and off.  If the ship is listening
>for the prefix code and hears it, you have it.
>
>Of course, how did Jim know that Khan's ship would accept the prefix codes?

	He *didn't*, he was just gambling, like always. Remember,
before he actually sent the code Spock was worried about Khan knowing
about the code! It is obvious from this that if you *know* about it
you *can* bypass it somehow.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
or {ttdica|quad1|bellcore|scgvaxd}!psivax!friesen

ccrdave@ucdavis.UUCP (Lord Kahless) (06/05/85)

> > Regarding prefix numbers.  They are a security risk only if you're
> > stupid enough to let your ship's computer listen and respond to
> > incoming transmissions.  Presumably, there's some sort of "worm-filter"
> > or "listen-only" computer mode that high-ranking officers would know
> > how to turn on if they suspected that someone was about to use prefix
> > numbers to hose over their ship.
> >
> This would beat the whole purpose of prefix numbers. Prefix numbers are
> supposed to be used to take command from an unwilling captain. Can you
> imagine Khan saying to Kirk, "Ok, Kirk old friend, I've switched off from
> listen-only mode, so you can lower my shields and blow my ship to
> kingdom come"?
> --
>
> 	Kriton	(princeton!tilt!kyrimis)

In the Klingon Empire, the ship's computer will reject any and all
security codes it receives for a solid week and send off alarms like
crazy if somebody sends over the wrong code.  It is only logical that
the Federation would have included some sort of simmilar protections,
to prevent brute force attacks and to alert the bridge crew in the
event of somebody trying to break in.

It would be illogical for Khan to know of such codes.  He hadn't
spent that much time piloting a star ship.  As Kirk had just pulled
the trick on Khan, it would be logical for Kirk to have his chief engineer
change the code before they stole the Enterprise.

			Lord Kahless

don@umd5.UUCP (06/05/85)

In article <3207@dartvax.UUCP> merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) writes:
>Possibly the prefix code can be turned on and off.  If the ship is listening
>for the prefix code and hears it, you have it.
>
>Of course, how did Jim know that Khan's ship would accept the prefix codes?

The prefix code was intended to facilitate rescue of a ship disabled by
'natural' means. If a ship was designated for combat(or whatever), the captain
would simply change the code. I believe that any operational ships computer
has a special channel for this sort of thing that is always open. Therefore,
one could not 'turn off' the channel. (Khan's ship would accept the prefix
code unless it had been changed ...)

--
--==---==---==--
"Space, the final frontier ..."

  ARPA: umd5!don@maryland.ARPA
BITNET: don%umd5@umd2
SPOKEN: Chris Sylvain
  UUCP: {seismo, rlgvax, allegra, brl-bmd, nrl-css}!umcp-cs!cvl!umd5!don

tli@oberon.UUCP (Tony Li) (06/05/85)

In article <299@tilt.FUN> kyrimis@tilt.FUN (Kriton Kyrimis) writes:

    Now, if the above is true, how did SPOCK know about prefix numbers?
    Maybe he found out about them by being "understandably curious".
    	Kriton	(princeton!tilt!kyrimis)

You forget!  Spock is now a CAPTAIN!  And since he's now in command of
the Enterprise, he has the prefix numbers.

--
Tony Li ;-)		Usc Computer Science
Uucp: {sdcrdcf,randvax}!uscvax!tli

trudel@topaz.ARPA (Jonathan) (06/06/85)

> The concept of the prefix code is something that never should have been
> introduced into the Star Trek universe.
> As the quoted article points out, they are a horrible security flaw. *IF* a
> Romulan or Klingon attack fleet could get the master list of prefix codes,
> all they would need to do would be mount a massive invasion, wait for the
> massive Federation defending fleet, and blow the Feds to dust.

I haven't seen anything posted yet as to a valid explanation as to why this
wouldn't work, so I thought I'd try to explain it the way I see it.

I think those of you who have posted replies have not done much file
transferring in your work, because the whole scene revolves around the
basic idea of it.  In the scene, KHan is waiting for all materials (read
files) regarding the project Genesis.  Obviously, these files have to be
sent with some sort of transfer protocol.  In order to do this, Khan has
to start up some transfer program (think of Kermit, Xmodem, etc.) to get the
information.  The prefix code must be a flag to the transfer program to
accept the incoming information directly into the ship's command buffer, and
to execute it immediately.  Aha!, you say as you declare, "but what's to stop
all the Romulans/Klingons/Gorn/Vogons/etc. from doing the same?"  My
response is that the ship on the recieving end has to have the transfer
program running in recieve mode, hailing frequencies open, and a crew that
is too slow to find the override switch in time.  This is not that
implausible!

> The prefix code was an interesting plot device which got Kirk out of a sure
> no-win scenario.

If you recall the animated episodes (and if you don't, check the ST
role-playing game rules), the prefix code has its uses.  During the animated
series, the big E was controlling two or three cargo ships that were
carrying grain (quadrotriticale, what else?).  The big E Used these ships as
offensive weapons against a Klingon battle cruiser that had paralyzed it via
some stasis ray.  In the rpg version, the prefix codes are used in a similar
fashion to control starships that are too damaged!unstable to be directly
controlled by people.

Need I explain further?
--

Jonathan D. Trudel
arpa:trudel@ru-blue.arpa

avolio@decuac.UUCP (Frederick M. Avolio) (06/06/85)

I suspect it (being able to gain access to a ship via the prefix numbers)
depends on whether the ship is running in DEBUG mode.
--
Fred Avolio      {decvax,seismo}!decuac!avolio      301/731-4100 x4227

lear@topaz.ARPA (eliot lear) (06/07/85)

In article <37@oberon> Tony Li [uscvax!tli] writes..

>     Now, if the above is true, how did SPOCK know about prefix numbers?
>     Maybe he found out about them by being "understandably curious".
>     	Kriton	(princeton!tilt!kyrimis)
>
> You forget!  Spock is now a CAPTAIN!  And since he's now in command of
> the Enterprise, he has the prefix numbers.
>
> --
> Tony Li ;-)		Usc Computer Science

As posted previously, the prefix codes for various ships are used to control
that ship it is disabled or uninhabitable, NOT in case of a crazy captain.
A hostile captain need simply change the prefix code to stop someone from
getting in.  As to who has access, any officer with security clearance would
probably do.  This also would include Sulu, Ahura, Chekov, and Scott.

					eliot lear
--
uucp: [{allegra,seismo,ihnp4}!topaz!lear]
arpa: [Lear@RU-BLUE.arpa]

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (06/07/85)

> In article <3207@dartvax.UUCP> merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) types:
> >Possibly the prefix code can be turned on and off.  If the ship is listening
> >for the prefix code and hears it, you have it.
> >
> >Of course, how did Jim know that Khan's ship would accept the prefix codes?
>
> 	He *didn't*, he was just gambling, like always. Remember,
> before he actually sent the code Spock was worried about Khan knowing
> about the code! It is obvious from this that if you *know* about it
> you *can* bypass it somehow.
> --
>
> 				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

I admit, it was rather a rhetorical question.  It got me thinking, though.
Suppose it didn't work?

Kirk: Okay, Khan.  Here it comes.

Khan: Trying the ol' prefix code trick, Admiral?  Everyone knows about
      that one.  Now, Admiral Kirk, are you going to give me the genesis
      information without anymore of your annoying tricks?

Kirk: Uh.  Shit.  Scriptwriter?!?!?

Maybe they could drive Khan crazy with logical/illogic?  Or he could seduce
the girl at the helm?
--
"If wishes were horses,                             Peter Merchant
 then rides would be free.