[net.startrek] DC Trek comics

boyajian@akov68.DEC (06/08/85)

> From:	ihuxp!wbpesch	(Walt Pesch)

> And also as part of a disclaimer to the reference to the DC comics,
> they are considered by Bennett et al to be an official part of the
> Star Trek Universe.  The story lines used in the comics are approved.

Just because they are approved doesn't make them canon. I believe that
all of the novels are approved, also. And Lucasfilm approves Marvel's
STAR WARS comic, but does not consider them to be part of the Star Wars
canon. Bennett et al. may *say* that the DC comics are an "official"
part of the canon, but if so, how does one explain away the fact that
the third movie picks up right where the second left off, and yet in
the comics, there are 8-9 issues worth of stories that take place in
between?

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA
   soon to be:
	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.COM

wbpesch@ihuxp.UUCP (Walt Pesch) (06/11/85)

> > From:	ihuxp!wbpesch	(Walt Pesch)  <<ME>>
> > And also as part of a disclaimer to the reference to the DC comics,
> > they are considered by Bennett et al to be an official part of the
> > Star Trek Universe.  The story lines used in the comics are approved.
>
> Just because they are approved doesn't make them canon. I believe that
> all of the novels are approved, also. And Lucasfilm approves Marvel's
> STAR WARS comic, but does not consider them to be part of the Star Wars
> canon. Bennett et al. may *say* that the DC comics are an "official"
> part of the canon, but if so, how does one explain away the fact that
> the third movie picks up right where the second left off, and yet in
> the comics, there are 8-9 issues worth of stories that take place in
> between?
> --- jayembee ...!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian

Hmm, luckily I was reading this at home where I could dig them up.
Simply put, the ST Comics started in the interrim between TMP and TWOK.
The early comics show Saavik wearing an orange sweater, that of a
cadet.  As of the TSFS, she changes to a white sweater, that of a fully
trained crewmember.  This is one evidence of what is the complete
story line that IS faithful that is contained in the comics.  There is
not eight or nine book gap such as what you speak of.

Also, about TSFS picking up IMMEDIATELY after TWOK:  not true.  At
all.  It is known from the movie that there was a rendezvous with
atleast the Grissom to transfer those with first-hand knowlege of the
Genesis World to do the initial survey.  It is also true that a
Hospital Ship (much faster than the limping Big E) transported the
wounded and sick off.  So how can we really know how long between the
two, or what else happened in the interrim?

May the Great Bird of the Galaxy lay his/her blessing upon your head,

--
Walt Pesch
AT&T Network Systems